aberdeen-music

Happenings on Union Street

Scootray

I was walking down Union Street yesterday around 5pm and the bridge was cordoned off again, another suicide attempt so I hear, can't find any news of it on the web though.

There was a fight near there on saturday night. Big brawl. Lots of police using force. I guess it's the same as when people quit when they are losing on Xbox live. The world is full of sore losers.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I was walking down Union Street yesterday around 5pm and the bridge was cordoned off again, another suicide attempt so I hear, can't find any news of it on the web though.

Correct. It was a successful one too.

There was a lassie who tried to top herself a few years ago by jumping off the Union Terrace Bridge. But she was to far to one side and landed on the grass miles above the road, stupid bitch.

Although I think she broke a leg or something, ooh and got a really nasty splinter from going through one of the branches on the way down.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Without being crude... I assume that you'd be aiming for the railway? I suppose if you jumped onto the road you could cause and accident.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's all about how many people witness it. One last grand gesture in front of a crowd. It's a helluva selfish thing to do, could leave a lot of mental damage to someone who sees it. Then again, if you've made up your mind to throw a seven you wouldn't be thinking about that.

Not really :up:

Without being crude... I assume that you'd be aiming for the railway? I suppose if you jumped onto the road you could cause and accident.

The road is farther down and it's tarmac, so would be much more likely to do the job properly. I would definitely aim for the road if I was going to end it all.... but I'd probably do it at night so I didn't hurt anyone and there wouldn't be a crowd of Xmas shoppers around.

Considerate to the bitter end, me.

Anybody see that documentary with all the folk jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge? Scary stuff. Though I'm not sure what you would die of if you did that, ie would it be drowning or the impact?

Wouldn't fancy drowning. Or the impact of landing on the underpass at Denburn, euch. I'm too much of a wimp to kill myself I think, would have to be exhaust fumes, or maybe in front of a train I suppose. :up:

Anybody see that documentary with all the folk jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge? Scary stuff. Though I'm not sure what you would die of if you did that, ie would it be drowning or the impact?

I'm sure I recall reading something about Severn Bridge jumpers, and how up to a 1/3rd of them are found with shoulder injuries. Not a pleasant thought, at all.

The impact as far as I know could completely mess you up - but if you executed a perfect dive, then maybe not so. But a belly flop would definitely mess you up, and the shock would probably cause you to drown if nothing else.

Guest treader.
I agree entirely. If ever I was going to end it all I could see myself being more of a 'booze + overdose, sitting in an armchair' type of gal. Not that I ever would.

It's the type of thing that I can understand less and less as I grow older. You begin to think about how people would react and how hurt you would leave those around you - especially if you have a partner. Regardless, at minimal you leave a lot of burning questions (and a heck of an emotional mess).

Still though, best case scenario: People will dedicate stuff to you.

The road is farther down and it's tarmac,

there was a bridge on the continent (Luxembourg?) where IIRC jumpers did make a point of aiming for the roadway beneath - It was high enough to ensure your head more or less exploded on impact (whichever way you landed) - A quick death.

Getting it wrong could be a bummer tho as there were also houses beneath & one of the issues rescuers faced there was how to extract horribly injured casualties who had had their fall broken by going head-first through a roof & ending-up hanging in someone's bedroom or living room. o_O

ETA, here it is, the Rout Brck, or Grand Duchesse Charlotte Bridge :

Suicide Bridge on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

:(

there was a bridge on the continent (Luxembourg?) where IIRC jumpers did make a point of aiming for the roadway beneath - It was high enough to ensure your head more or less exploded on impact (whichever way you landed) - A quick death.

Getting it wrong could be a bummer tho as there were also houses beneath & one of the issues rescuers faced there was how to extract horribly injured casualties who had had their fall broken by going head-first through a roof & ending-up hanging in someone's bedroom or living room. o_O

ETA, here it is, the Rout Brck, or Grand Duchesse Charlotte Bridge :

Suicide Bridge on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

:(

Why would you buy one of those houses?

"Can I call you back Susan? The man from next door has just dropped in"

• Upvote 1