aberdeen-music

Reconfiguring the School Week - Aberdeen - Public Consultation

manalive

Aberdeen City Council is writing to ask for your views on possible changes to the way we organise the length of the school week. We would welcome comments from parents, pupils, staff, parent councils, local businesses and anyone else with an interest in this proposal. No decision has yet been made and we do want to hear your views

Reconfiguring the School Week - Public Consultation

Please forward this on to parents in Aberdeen or anyone in Aberdeen you know

Thanks

manalive

We have a half day Friday in Edinburgh and, although I initially thought it was pansy nonsense compared to my school days in Dundee, it actually works very well. Around every second Friday afternoon is a CAT afternoon, so it's really only the kids who get the half day.

Teachers will actually be teaching for longer under the new proposal, as well as being expected to supervise extra curricular activities on the friday afternoon and be expected to attend training.

So we'll actually be working much loooooonger for our hard earned wage.

Moan about our holidays, as those are way too often :)

they need to have a set amount of periods in the school day and perhaphs shorten the length.

When i was at school we had 4 periods, 2 small breaks and lunch

1.5 hours for any subject except PE is too long in my opinion, lots of pupils get bored and frustrated in situations like this.

1 hour or 45 minutes would be better and would also allow pupils to study more courses whilst not getting as bored, stressed etc...

When I first started high school we had 8 periods of 40mins... including a double between break and lunch. Then that changed to 6 periods of either 50 or 55 mins. Starting the day at 9.05 and finishing at 15.30. If only the real world was like that!

What are the kids going to do on their half day?! They're hardly going to study... especially if it's a Friday... I think this is a dubious idea.

It would be better to do as the French do and get half of Wednesday off; it'd break up the week nicely, but it wouldn't feel like a long weekend.

I quite like having Wednesdays off; it makes not finishing 'til 4:30pm most days a bit better.

School was pretty much exactly the same for me as what Jeanette said; started off 8 40minute periods and then went on to 6 50/55minute periods. I liked the 40 better a bit, just because we got lunch earlier. We started at 8:45am and finished at 3:35pm, though. I don't think it'd be too bad to finish at 4/4:30pm most days for some time off during the week.

When I first started high school we had 8 periods of 40mins... including a double between break and lunch. Then that changed to 6 periods of either 50 or 55 mins. Starting the day at 9.05 and finishing at 15.30. If only the real world was like that!

What are the kids going to do on their half day?! They're hardly going to study... especially if it's a Friday... I think this is a dubious idea.

You didn't got to Monifieth by any chance did you? ;)