aberdeen-music

why bother?

tanglewood

I've never been in a band myself, but I would think that the best way to go about starting one would be to chat to folk, get friends who are into the same stuff and are musical to get involved. A lot of bands in Aberdeen are simply recycled line ups of old ones (whether it works or not depends entirely on the band) so get chatting to folk at gigs or on here and find a common interest. Starting a band with people who answer an ad would be like trying to make friends with someone just because they...answered an ad. You can't assume that because someone wants to be in a band that you're going to get on.

I've never been in a band myself, but I would think that the best way to go about starting one would be to chat to folk, get friends who are into the same stuff and are musical to get involved. A lot of bands in Aberdeen are simply recycled line ups of old ones (whether it works or not depends entirely on the band) so get chatting to folk at gigs or on here and find a common interest. Starting a band with people who answer an ad would be like trying to make friends with someone just because they...answered an ad. You can't assume that because someone wants to be in a band that you're going to get on.

good point:up:

Aberdeen isn't the only city that has the same generation of people starting bands with recycled lineups. I think this happens in nearly all city centres that have an active music scene. Leeds became especially bad for this, as the people spearheading the DIY scene in that area were getting older and less accepting of young new bands. These guys were pushing 35, and just wanted to see bills of their mates bands and their ex band mates new bands. The all dayers and weekenders spiralled into being a showcase of reunions from days gone by and new bands featuring ex members of this, that and the other - and not about exposing the best new bands from around the country like they used to be. It was hard to break into their circle, and gigs that didn't feature their bands were often badly attended. When jaded 30 something punx are kind of running the show, it put a huge dampener on the scene as a whole, and as it stands now, Leeds is pretty much dead. There are some great new bands from the area, and have been lots more great bands kicking about for a few years, but interest was minimal, because everyone was more interested in seeing ex members of And None Of Them Knew They Were Robots play fashionable horror metal.

Adding "featuring ex members of" adds instant hype to any band no matter how much it looks like they are going through the motions. It seems as time goes on, they are constantly refusing to pass the torch on to the younger bands and promoters that actually want to try.

Aberdeen isn't the only city that has the same generation of people starting bands with recycled lineups. I think this happens in nearly all city centres that have an active music scene. Leeds became especially bad for this, as the people spearheading the DIY scene in that area were getting older and less accepting of young new bands. These guys were pushing 35, and just wanted to see bills of their mates bands and their ex band mates new bands. The all dayers and weekenders spiralled into being a showcase of reunions from days gone by and new bands featuring ex members of this, that and the other - and not about exposing the best new bands from around the country like they used to be. It was hard to break into their circle, and gigs that didn't feature their bands were often badly attended. When jaded 30 something punx are kind of running the show, it put a huge dampener on the scene as a whole, and as it stands now, Leeds is pretty much dead. There are some great new bands from the area, and have been lots more great bands kicking about for a few years, but interest was minimal, because everyone was more interested in seeing ex members of And None Of Them Knew They Were Robots play fashionable horror metal.

Adding "featuring ex members of" adds instant hype to any band no matter how much it looks like they are going through the motions. It seems as time goes on, they are constantly refusing to pass the torch on to the younger bands and promoters that actually want to try.

i dont want to upset anyone here,but it does seem a bit like that around here sometimes and its usually bands watching bands as some promoters dont...............well.........promote!

but on the other hand as someone said earlier in the thread,ppl do have lives and things to do that are more of a priority,which is fair enough,i find its more fun to play outwith your foundations,i dont know why,it just is:up: