aberdeen-music

The Office

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

The best British television program in 10 years? I'd say so.

EVERY line of it is pretty much quotable.

It's just genius, and some of it is so true it's freaky.

The American Series is amazing too and has really become it's own show, with really nothing to do with the original show now. (other than the Tim/Jim name connection, and the way the characters are supposed to be sort of similar)

But the British one...spot on telly.

David_Brent_111.jpg

It's been years, and I still can't decide if I like Ricky Gervais. I really don't enjoy his stand up. I think his on-the-spot delivery can sound like it's a routine in a pantomime. This has put me off ever properly watching the Office, although what I have seen I do quite like.

I'm a big fan of the American show though. I think Dwight is one of my favourite fictional characters for quite some time.

Guest treader.

yeah, his standup is less enjoyable than the shows. it's certainly not as good if you, like me, have heard all the old XFM podcasts and BBC podcasts which contain pretty much ALL his jokes/routines, and to be honest, a lot of them came from Stephen Merchant's brain, rather than Ricky's.

The Office is still fantastic though.

"Biggest Disappointment?"

"Alton Towers"

"Oh...I've never been"

"Don't. It's rubbish"

Guest treader.

"alright dawn"

"is...is that a piercing?"

"yeah alright chill out, get over it man"

"how long have you had that?"

"tooooo long, babay"

"it's...it's bleeding"

"it REAAALLLY hurts. i had to poke a pin through to open it"

i paraphrase a lot when i quote the office.

David: "If we're facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking"

Tim: "Yep, very nice. You're quite a philosopher"

David: "Well, it's just that... I think that our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall"

Tim: "Are you reading these?"

David: "Am I what?!"

Tim: "Reading the quotes"

David: "Sort of..."

Gareth: "He's a wierd little bloke! Look at his cartoon face and his hair, he looks like a Fisher Price man, and his rubbish clothes... it makes me think there's something wrong with you for a start but yet in my head I'd still do you so I'm confused."

Gareth: "You know the phrase softly softly catchy monkey? I could catch a monkey - if I was starving I could. Id make poison darts out of the poison off deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself, youll be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times."

Rowan: "Gareth, quick trust exercise, ultimate fantasy?"

Gareth: "Hmm?"

David: "Were just doing the ultimate fantasy, were all doing it"

Gareth: "Two lesbians probably, sisters. Im just watching"

Rowan: "OK. Erm. Tim? Do you have one?"

Tim: "Id never thought Id say this, but can I hear more from Gareth please?"

ahhh i think i`m gonna go watch some now!

Dwight and the pepper spray, the warehouse basketball game, fax's from future Dwight. Awesome.

All brilliant.

Jim is an absolute hero :love:

I've been watching the newest series on various streaming sites and am still totally hooked; the latest one available ('Customer Survey' directed by Stephen Merchant) being the best so far. Very clever ideas running throughout.

Quality line:

Michael: "Kelly, have you been sabotaging Dwight and Jim's customer satisfaction reports?"

Kelly: "I love your tie Michael"

Michael: "Why thankyou... Oh Kelly come on, did you or didn't you?"

KellyNo, i mean.... I was raped."

Michael: "You can not say you were raped and expect all your problems to go away Kelly... not again, you can't keep doing that."

All brilliant.

Jim is an absolute hero :love:

I've been watching the newest series on various streaming sites and am still totally hooked; the latest one available ('Customer Survey' directed by Stephen Merchant) being the best so far. Very clever ideas running throughout.

Quality line:

Michael: "Kelly, have you been sabotaging Dwight and Jim's customer satisfaction reports?"

Kelly: "I love your tie Michael"

Michael: "Why thankyou... Oh Kelly come on, did you or didn't you?"

KellyNo, i mean.... I was raped."

Michael: "You can not say you were raped and expect all your problems to go away Kelly... not again, you can't keep doing that."

Haha! I watched series 4 via downloads. Brilliant.

Easily my favourite television series, and the UK version is vastly superior to the US one. I've genuinely enjoyed everything Gervais and Merchant have done, I've been listening to them since the XFM days and it's crazy to think those shows went on to be the most successful podcasts of all time.

People tend to have a go at Gervais nowadays but I don't think there are many big name entertainers with more integrity than he has. A lot of people don't realise he once turned 2 million pounds to do an American advert as he thought it would belittle the work he'd done (and this is before The Office got syndicated in the US and he made huge money).

The Office and Extras are still extremely good, although I thought the Xmas Extras was disappointing (although I recently rewatched it and it was better that time round, think my expectations were a bit high). For some reason I dislike seeing Ricky Gervais in movies, he just seems out of place. I've been recently listening to some of the podcasts again, they are all about Karl Pilkington though.

Imo The Office is the best british comedy show there has ever been, almost everything about it is perfect. Thankfully Gervais and Merchant resisted any pressure to continue the show on past the christmas specials, they achieved the rare feat of making a tv show that never dipped below it's greatest peak.

I don't like the US version.

I have never been able to get into The Office (i have watched both versions). I wasn't overly enamored with Extras either.

In the grand scheme of things, in my opinion, there are quite a few other British Comedies that are better:

Fawlty Towers

Red Dwarf

The Brittas Empire

'Allo 'Allo

Spaced

Blackadder

Citizen Smith

Men Behaving Badly

I'm Alan Partridge (and Knowing Me...)

Only Fools and Horses

Saxondale

Gavin and Stacey

The Mighty Boosh

The Young Ones

BBC in particular have let their standards slip completely as far as comedies are concerned. CH4 seem content with bringing over comedy from the States, which isn't necessarily a bad thing given how poor the standard of British comedy is now.

I have never been able to get into The Office (i have watched both versions). I wasn't overly enamored with Extras either.

In the grand scheme of things, in my opinion, there are quite a few other British Comedies that are better:

Fawlty Towers

Red Dwarf

The Brittas Empire

'Allo 'Allo

Spaced

Blackadder

Citizen Smith

Men Behaving Badly

I'm Alan Partridge (and Knowing Me...)

Only Fools and Horses

Saxondale

Gavin and Stacey

The Mighty Boosh

The Young Ones

BBC in particular have let their standards slip completely as far as comedies are concerned. CH4 seem content with bringing over comedy from the States, which isn't necessarily a bad thing given how poor the standard of British comedy is now.

Some good ones on that list, but 'The Brittas Empire'? A wind-up inclusion surely?