aberdeen-music

Local Hiphop/Rap scene?

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

Is there one?

I've heard a couple mentions of the Granite City MCs or something like that, and I have a really vague recollection of seeing some rap group on before The Xcerts when they played the International Youth Festival on Union Street years ago.

Do any clubs have hiphop nights? Or 8-Mile esque freestyle competitions or anything?!

I quite like a bit of the old hippety-hop and was just wondering where I could see some in Aberdeen.

Any help will not be appreciated other than in text form.

There are some people around doing it so will ask the folk I know where and when there might be anything like this going on.

I did something with a French MC about a year and half ago now which had mixed reviews. Since then I think we have both improved and his return to Aberdeen a couple of weeks ago means we can continue where we left off, or more than likely start over again due to most of our tunes not being amazingly good ha ha.

Started writing some stuff which should be no problem to perform live. It's a bit more jazz/funk using sampled beats at the moment rather than a live drummer, might just use the MPC and midi up a couple of keyboards to get going live. Nice to know there could be some interest.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

One half of Kool Thwax DJs, yours truly, spins plenty of hip hop, from the early 80s onwards. some harder East NY style stuff from the 90s, some of it more relaxed, some vintage west coast/electro rap too. along with loads more cool stuff. we host our own parties about 3 or 4 times a year, usually to coincide with celebratory days. Next one is Kool Thwaxmas which we're finalising bookings for atm

yeah, i was thinking of your nights when I wote the thread, but was really looking for more stuff like live rap artists and stuff. it'd be interesting to investigate.

If there would be enough interest, I can pull together a live rap group initially it'd be me on keys and mpc, Brian on decks and Hugo doing a spot of rap in the most elequent of languages. I'll ask around a couple of other MCs see if they would be interested in doing some jamming. Probably looking at early next year though as I need some time to get programming on the MPC.

Check out some of his stuff on myspace if you are interested (I particularly like jazz folie):

MySpace.com - Taco - FR - Hip Hop - www.myspace.com/tacolection

Hugo may also be doing a spot with the funk band I'm in... date for our first gig will be coming very soon.

Played a gig with MC kUDA and Friends last year sometime, they were really good but heard no more from them and can't find a web presence.

Anyone shed some light?

Kuda is working hard I think. Should be speaking to him about our little jam/performance thing.

We did a few in the Tunnels which had a good atmosphere... will try setting something up again.

What was it you were playing?

Guest Giles Walker

This thread contains a whole lot of fail.

Is hiphop even a tangible thing any more?

To respect the underground you have to at least acknowledge the mainstream and i seriously doubt any of the middle class white boys dropping the n word in a predominantly indie forum would do that.

Head to urbanscot and moan there about how you can't hear your precious pitchfork media journalist's bullshit meanderings in Aberdeen and see how you get on there.

getting doon on union st min,

ah the toonsers get on yer feet min!

o_OYou're rubbish.

There's a chap at work who "produces" rap stuff, both local and from around the UK. He's been promising me a CD-R of his stuff for ages. I'll ask him about anything Aberdeen-based this weekend. :up:

Is there one?

I've heard a couple mentions of the Granite City MCs or something like that, and I have a really vague recollection of seeing some rap group on before The Xcerts when they played the International Youth Festival on Union Street years ago.

Do any clubs have hiphop nights? Or 8-Mile esque freestyle competitions or anything?!

I quite like a bit of the old hippety-hop and was just wondering where I could see some in Aberdeen.

Any help will not be appreciated other than in text form.

Come 2 pearl lounge on mon or thur or priory downstairs on fri or sat and i will try to play any hip hop u ask 4, if i dont hav it i'll get it 4 nxt time. Christ Holsturr (Jay-Z afta party) is usually at Priory, if deres a demand 2 hear him spit dis can b arranged.