aberdeen-music

Manics recording with Steve Albini!

Swingin' Ryan

I am aware that they are using Richey's lyrics, but he left a suitcase full of stuff, and Nicky has by his own admission picked and chosen what he felt would be best: "I felt like a curator".

The vast majority of lyrics post-EMG are Nicky's, and that is really what I was getting at. Apologies, I should have made what I meant clearer! I do think that Richey has become something of a sacred cow on the lyrics front. THB's lyrics were fantastic, but not all of his work was. Furthermore, I'm sure I remember reading that JBD "edited" some of THB lyrics to try to make them fit the songs' metre.

As for the sound of EMG, JDB always wrote music to fit the sentiment of the lyrics he was given. Listen to him talking about THB on the 10th Anniversary Edition's dvd. EMG was quite definitely a reaction to and against THB and Richey's subsequent disappearance. A fourth Manics record with Richey would definitely not have sounded anything like EMG.

But, as I said, each to their own. I do think the new songs are pish, but others are obviously welcome to disagree. I'm sure they're not too fussed about what people like me think anyway, we haven't bought a record of theirs since the mid 90s.

Steve Albini didn't produce the whole record, there's an interesting fact the label and press chose to ignore. Everyone's got to have an angle.

I'm not a Manics fan, but the new album sounds fantastic. May i also add, the new Idlewild album is glorious.

x

Looking at the interview with Q James does say he thinks the band might have ended up going their seperate ways because of the pull of Richey wanting darker stuff and James wanting more melody so I think that does mean that EMG would have been more or less as it is because that was the direction it was going. Richey listened to Small Black Flowers before he disappeared. Each to their own of course, if you didn't like Truth, Lifeblood etc you're probably not going to get into them again. They're the most important band for me by miles.

ps - Will be checking out the new stuff by Idlewild!

Thoroughly enjoyed the performances of JCEQT and Me And Stephen Hawking last night. Looking forward to hearing the album versions now!

Me and Stephen Hawking was blinding. The Friday show is extended so there'll probably be another Manics song plus a bit of an interview, hopefully one of the acoustic numbers from the album which are beautiful.

Me and Stephen Hawking was blinding. The Friday show is extended so there'll probably be another Manics song plus a bit of an interview, hopefully one of the acoustic numbers from the album which are beautiful.

I know which song it is from another forum but I won't spoil it for you! I've now heard three songs from the album and now I just want to hear it all the way through. Just need to get the rest of this week out of the way then one more week to go!

I'm really sorry, but I thought it was a wee bit embarassing...old men playing safe almost-rock...

I just can't see why anyone would think that performance or those songs are in any way comparable to "vintage Manics". If they were a new band without the history, they would never have got near television. I mean, even Paolo Nutini had more going on...argh.

I'm really sorry, but I thought it was a wee bit embarassing...old men playing safe almost-rock...

I just can't see why anyone would think that performance or those songs are in any way comparable to "vintage Manics". If they were a new band without the history, they would never have got near television. I mean, even Paolo Nutini had more going on...argh.

Seriously, have a listen to the record when it comes out. The two songs they played were probably the two most obvious choices for a Jools performance. Stuff like Marlon J.D and Bag Lady are far from 'almost-rock'.

It's a totally fruitless chore debating the Manics with a non-Manics fan (even more fruitless when it's a former Manics fan). I wouldn't pretend I like post-HB stuff as much as the earlier stuff, but I don't think they're a band that can be written off as 'safe arena-rock' or whatever and this newest album is the best proof of that in the last 15 years IMO.

If they are a safe arena-rock band, they've got to be the only one in the country to have people as diverse as British Sea Power, Four Tet, The Horrors and Andrew Weatherall wanting to do remixes for them.

The Jools performance was great to me! Mr Nutini was a bit rubbish really, Taylor Smith had more going on than him! Digged her spangly tiara! Loved how the Manics just were at total odds with everything else on the show! James and Nicky were on the Colin Murray Show on Radio 1 last night playing some of their vinyl stuff which was fantastic! Had me laughing as well, great stuff! Great choice of records too! James picked one by Husker Du out of what Nicky had brought with him and Nicky 'was told' to play one by The Icicle Test (I think that is the correct band name, apologies if not!). I love these all vinyl shows that they seem to be doing more regularly on Radio 1 now! Superb!

The only down side was that I'd wanted to not hear any more songs from JFPL until the album came out but thanks to Mr Murray I've now heard Marlon J.D. and This Sport Joke Severd (Yes, and I may have that last one's title the wrong way round but it is new, forgive me!).

If they are a safe arena-rock band, they've got to be the only one in the country to have people as diverse as British Sea Power, Four Tet, The Horrors and Andrew Weatherall wanting to do remixes for them.

I think you'll find that is the Manics chucking money at these people in return for a remix. Not these people wanting to remix their tracks.

Hey, he can spray his guilty load over his monitor whenever and as frequently as he desires, so long as I don't have to fucking read about it. However, it's frankly dismal to see someone attempting to cram a bit of leg rubbing, oo-erring into a thread about the Manic Street Preachers.

I think you'll find that is the Manics chucking money at these people in return for a remix. Not these people wanting to remix their tracks.

Obviously the Manics approached them, but there has to be some desire to actually want to do the remix. I don't think you'd get most of those bands doing the Stereophonics for example.

'I don't think BSP need money chucking at them, they're not doing too badly!'.

Haha, trust me, a band like British Sea Power will be delighted to get some money. Do you really think a band like them make much money? Just because a band sell out a couple of venues and have a video on tv, doesn't mean they are making good money.

The Horrors have asked the Manics to cover one of their songs instead of taking money. I think the track will be released on a free cd with the NME at some point.

I don't think BSP need money chucking at them, they're not doing too badly! Who wouldn't want to remix a fantastic band like the Manics? Anyway what's all this about leg - rubbing? Must have missed that particular post1

They are maybe wanting to do some remixes in an attempt to inject the Manic Street Preachers with something that is even a little interesting! Drummer wears gloves for feck sake!

I think, all ranting aside, that just not being interesting anymore is my main problem with them now. There is no danger, no genuine threat, and nothing your parents wouldn't be quite happy listening to on the way to the shops.

This is a band who wrote a song to everyone who hated them called "You Love Us". This is a band that sang "I laughed when Lennon got shot". This is a band who committed the most moving ever commentary on anorexia to tape and then played it live on MTV.

It's not just Richey-era stuff though, look at the sentiment behind "Everything Must Go", in many ways a natural successor to the sentiment of "You Love Us".

I think that when a band meant as much to people as early 90s Manics did, the kind of fall from grace that has followed is really hard to take. Maybe Neil Young was right.