aberdeen-music

Manics recording with Steve Albini!

Swingin' Ryan

I have nothing but faith that the lyrics would be used in the best possible way though, whatever people say about the Manics I don't think anyone can argue that their treatment of Richey's memory has ever been anything other than completely tasteful.

Just the idea of a new Manics album that could potentially lyrically rival THB is massively exciting AND they've got Albini producing which I think is a stroke of genius.

I wonder if they'll reclaim the 'cut the feet off a ballerina' line, shamelessly used by Bloc Party (who then went on to completely rip off the chorus for 'IfWhiteAmerica...' on Flux, this from a band who claim to have 'never really listened to the Manics').

I have nothing but faith that the lyrics would be used in the best possible way though, whatever people say about the Manics I don't think anyone can argue that their treatment of Richey's memory has ever been anything other than completely tasteful.

Just the idea of a new Manics album that could potentially lyrically rival THB is massively exciting AND they've got Albini producing which I think is a stroke of genius.

All entirely correct, I just worry that they are going to be accused of doing it because they can't cut it without Richey. I thought the last album was belting. As you said, if they use them correctly and don't just try and recreate The Holy Bible it could be very special.

Nobody wants to hear the Holy Bible 2, that would be awful. The Fray Bentos pies have probably gone to Nicky Wire's head.

...The Manics should go back to the top quality song writing stylings and production of Lifeblood.

Lifeblood remains my least favourite Manics album, although I've grown to rather like it of late. I really think the last think they want to be doing is writing another Lifeblood though.

Also, at what point in the Manics 20 year career has Nicky Wire ever been fat?!

Lifeblood remains my least favourite Manics album, although I've grown to rather like it of late. I really think the last think they want to be doing is writing another Lifeblood though.

Also, at what point in the Manics 20 year career has Nicky Wire ever been fat?!

I'm rather fond of "To Repel Ghosts" for some reason. Nicky was quite fat at the start of the Everything Must Go tour, fabulous hair though.

I haven't liked anything the Manics have done since Gold Against The Soul. I still listen to both that and Generation Terrorists quite regularly. I've heard all the albums since and while they all have tracks that i think are "passable" i don't particularly like the "sheen" on the songs. I preferred them dirtier and ballsy. I'm not saying that they're shit now because they are still making good music, just not the sort of thing i'd buy. Maybe the Richey lyrics will bring back a bit of venom to their songwriting. I'd love to hear some kickass riffs and vitriolic lyrics. I guess it's just a wait and see.

Hmmmm, I was initially very excited about this but somehow the idea of using Richeys old lyrics seems a little tacky after thinking about it a bit. Hopefully it will be a belter though and I can get my JDB sailor suit out of mothballs, I could never pull off the leopard print look.

perhaps it's tactics to smoke him out?

albini producing manics songs will be rubbish. he can only do a certain type of band any justice. there is no way that clumpy, wide, dense kick drum and lead snare will sound any good on straight up rock beats/seans style and stuff.

hopefully proved wrong, loved generation terrorists (was a top 3 album for MANY years for me) and gold against the soul. I always think of the early manics as one of the bands that got me into lots of stuff and I always give em the benefit of the doubt

Albini? An awful producer?

He's still the only man on earth who has managed to get a drum kit to actually sound like a drum kit and not a clicky, trebley tin of Quality Street.

One instrument a band does not make. His drum sound is quality, i recognize this. But his overall production on every instrument is terrible. He has pumped out a few good records to about a thousand bad ones, my conclusion, terrible producer.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, I don't have many Albini produced records, but the ones I do have all sound great to me. Nirvana's In Utero sounds crushing, as do all of the Jesus Lizard records on Touch&Go, Superchunk's No Pocky For Kitty, Helmet's Meantime (massive!), the self titled Jon Spencer Blues Explosion record (crunchy guitars!), Jawbreaker's 24 Hour Revenge Therapy (raw and lo-fi, but it's a punk rock record!), F-Minus' Wake Up Screaming (I don't really like this band, but it sounds punishing!), High On Fire's Blessed Black Wings (there is no way you can say the guitar sounds terrible on this)

I actually prefer the Albini produced In On The Kill Taker, which Fugazi scrapped because of their performance rather than production. The actual finished article sounded nowhere near as good, but is performed better, and the songs seem a bit slicker.

Especially on In Utero and the Jesus Lizard records, he makes the vocals sound haunting and terrifying in the distorted dischordant screaming parts.

Peeps might be interested in this:

The 2+2 Forum Archives: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

Its Steve Albini on a poker forum answering questions about pretty much everything. Haven't read the lot - 60 pages or something, but the GY!BE stuff on page 30 (maybe...) is pretty interesting. He really seems to love Jesus Lizard.

His rates don't seem that ridiculous for recording etc - Electrical Audio - Booking & Rates

Don't own that much that's been recorded by him, although the guitars on "For Respect" by Don Cab are rotten. In saying that, I quite like the sound on "All Roads To Fault" by ycni:m...."Ignoto" totally obliterates it though. :)

His rates don't seem that ridiculous for recording etc - Electrical Audio - Booking & Rates

isn't it the case that if he really likes your sound, and wants to work for you, he will do it for what you can afford (he's american?....liberal fag!)

I can remember a story that he came to Galsgow to record a scottish band if they paid his flights and accomodation...but that might be a twisted memory or wishful thinking.

(side note - Maple nearly had alex newport engineer / produce or LP...I'd sent him a mail, and he liked our stuff...and he asked for flights & accomodation + a grand...but we couldn't afford that)...bugger.