aberdeen-music

Kartta + The French Quarter + The Kays Lavelle @ Snafu

Guest idol_wild

I was right at the front for FR and the sound was surprisingly good. I moved to the back about halfway through the Death Cab set and the change in sound quality was unbelievable. It sounded like they were playing in their mum's loft. Terrible. I pretty much hate the Corn Exchange anyway, I resent travelling miles from the centre of town for pish sound quality and no post-gig bus service. Bah.

Well chuffed at the nice varied set Death Cab played, they were on for ages too. I gaurentee FR at King Tut's will be amazing, it's their kind of venue.

There were buses running back to town after the gig. We just walked up to Haymarket but a good few buses went past us.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest idol_wild

Things that have been said about The French Quarter:

"A wonderfully hopeful uplifting band" - The Organ Magazine

"A truly remarkable EP" - The Skinny

"There's plenty of space left beyond these tender atmospherics for this promising band to go wherever they feel next" - Norman Records

you forget we're going to be at atp that weekend. a hex on kartta for scheduling their first gig in ages whilst we are away. unless, that is, they fancy extending their uk tour to sunny, bigoted minehead?

I just realised that, curses. I vote Kartta open Reds Stage on the Saturday. Horrendous timing boys!! :(

Guest idol_wild
I forgot to mention: I really need a volunteer to man the door and take people's hard earned 4 admittance fees from 19:00 until 21:45.

Any takers?

Pretty please?

Still no takers? Why ever not, I wonder...

Guest idol_wild

Titsticks. Anyone willing to help out on the door?

The door will be based downstairs in the venue, so you'll be able to see and hear the gig...

I'll also provide a few refreshing beverages...

Bump, bump, bump.

Looking forward to this.

Think we got a first gig nerves purged last night in Glasgow. This should be a tiny victory for all concerned.

First time I've caught the two out of town bands. Really swell. Kays Lavelle have a lot of space and texture in their tunes and some hot Glock action. They are just playing as a 3 piece (down from a 6!) but I like their approach.

Early doors people!

Guest idol_wild

The Kays Lavelle were jaw-droppingly beautiful last night and The French Quarter are becoming one of my favourite Scottish acts right now.

If you don't care for Kartta, drop by and witness two of Scotland's finest unsigned acts anyway.

Really enjoyed the gig last night, first time I'd seen the Kays Lavelle and they were really lovely. I'd be interested to see them as a six-piece but thought they worked well as a three-piece anyway.

Kartta were great, thoroughly enjoyed their set. A welcome return after a six-month absence.

The French Quarter were amazing, seriously very good, some wonderful glock playing.

:up:

We were at the Glasweigan leg last night; to be brutally honest I wasn't that impressed with Kays Lavelle. They seemed to be aiming to create some kind of grandoise statement that they couldn't really achieve with the three-piece. As if they were gradually building towards an epicness that never arrived. I'd be interested to see the full lineup at some point though, there was some good songs in there.

Kartta were suitably impressive, I enjoyed the new tunes. Surprisingly tight for their first gig in 6 months, too! Henri got Cancer was undoubtedly the highlight of the evening.

I was a little divided on the French Quarter. At times they were brilliant, but I thought they veered too often towards average post-rock. The vocalist did nothing for me, I didn't think he added to the overall sound at all. At their best they were refreshing, complex and interesting, at their worst they were a poor man's Twilight Sad. I'd be curious to see them again too, their last song was quality.

Guest idol_wild

Aww thanks guys. As Rob alluded to, we went back up the road with our tails between our legs a little as we felt we performed slightly shoddily. The onstage mix was horrendous for me as soundcheck was quite swift, so it was hard to guage just how we came across. We could have been so much tighter, but usually we just make a big fucking racket anyway, so tightness isn't always an issue. But it was ace to get back to playing as a band.

Thanks massively for the support people, it was much appreciated and required. The Kartta contingent must have made up the majority of the crowd! :up:

Aww thanks guys. As Rob alluded to, we went back up the road with our tails between our legs a little as we felt we performed slightly shoddily. The onstage mix was horrendous for me as soundcheck was quite swift, so it was hard to guage just how we came across. We could have been so much tighter, but usually we just make a big fucking racket anyway, so tightness isn't always an issue. But it was ace to get back to playing as a band.

Thanks massively for the support people, it was much appreciated and required. The Kartta contingent must have made up the majority of the crowd! :up:

Seriously though, next time, blueberry and apple sorbet please!

I was in Sleazys last week and was WELL tempted by the kartta'y goodness.

I'm in Stranraer on Dec 6th, and will return just in time to miss the end of the gig.

Not :up:

I'd totally forgotten about this, and ain't in Stranraer tomorrow after all. Helllllllllloooooooooooooooo!