aberdeen-music

Kartta + The French Quarter + The Kays Lavelle @ Snafu

Guest idol_wild

Good shout. You know my sofa is always ready and waiting for you. Who knows, I might even plump it for the occasion. Happily, I've just checked my timetable, and Thursday 4th December marks the end of term. So an excuse for a Kartta-induced high before the looming low of examinations.

In fact, I don't think there has ever been a better 3-day plan in the history of mankind. If my calculations are correct, it reads like this -

2nd Dec - Little Comets

3rd Dec - The Gaslight Anthem

4th Dec - Kartta

I'm going to start displaying my entire social calender on ab-mus. It's thrilling. Sort of like reverse voyeurism...

Excellent shout my boy. So shall I book us two Gaslight Anthem tickets while the going is good? And would that sofa offer be good for two nights? That way, I can head back down with you after the Little Comets gig, and make my way back up on the Friday. That way I can also get my dose of vitamin Kartta, and it gives us an excuse for Glasgow-centric beverage-tastic fun.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent shout my boy. So shall I book us two Gaslight Anthem tickets while the going is good? And would that sofa offer be good for two nights? That way, I can head back down with you after the Little Comets gig, and make my way back up on the Friday. That way I can also get my dose of vitamin Kartta, and it gives us an excuse for Glasgow-centric beverage-tastic fun.

Naturally.

Yeah, get a-booking, it's in my diary (NB: I don't actually have a diary)

It's White Russians all round at Sleazy. Then we can squeeze in some post-gig, pill-fuelled, vintage-clothing-orientated partying some cool-kid haunt like the Art School. Dig out your leatherette skinny tie.

Naturally.

Yeah, get a-booking, it's in my diary (NB: I don't actually have a diary)

It's White Russians all round at Sleazy. Then we can squeeze in some post-gig, pill-fuelled, vintage-clothing-orientated partying some cool-kid haunt like the Art School. Dig out your leatherette skinny tie.

8 each, two for 15 if you're a prudent, upmarket, complex new-millennium man who shops in the right places.

Fantastic. You familiar with Gaslight? I'll slip you a copy of their newest record. Like a mixture of 90s melodic punk and Born To Run-era Springsteen.

MySpace.com - The Gaslight Anthem - New Brunswick, New Jersey - Soul / Punk / Blues - www.myspace.com/thegaslightanthem

Guest idol_wild
My flatmate has just informed me Kartta is Finnish for Map. I didn't know this.

She's Finnish y'see.

Yes! We frequently get asked what the word 'Kartta' actually means and why we chose it.

We were initially called Maps, but, just as we were up and running and a few gigs in, we got a rather nasty email from the legal representative of the electronic/post-rocky act called Maps (who had just signed to an affiliate of Sony, I think) and demanded that we changed our name because they had the publishing rights to it as a musical artist or some nonsense like that. So he made it clear that if we didn't change our name or remove our website then legal action would be sought.

Crazy. We are just a pishy wee band from Aberdeen and we were about three gigs in.

But we liked the name Maps and our drummer at the time looked up 'Maps' in other languages and we all liked the Finnish word for it - Kartat. But then he said the singular translated as Kartta and we liked that even better.

So there you have it: a history lesson and language lesson all combined into one short tale of a band's monicker.

Though I always liked the idea of amending the word slightly so it had two Rs rather than two Ts. But hey, loads of people spell it that way anyway, so victory is mine!

Yes! We frequently get asked what the word 'Kartta' actually means and why we chose it.

We were initially called Maps, but, just as we were up and running and a few gigs in, we got a rather nasty email from the legal representative of the electronic/post-rocky act called Maps (who had just signed to an affiliate of Sony, I think) and demanded that we changed our name because they had the publishing rights to it as a musical artist or some nonsense like that. So he made it clear that if we didn't change our name or remove our website then legal action would be sought.

Crazy. We are just a pishy wee band from Aberdeen and we were about three gigs in.

But we liked the name Maps and our drummer at the time looked up 'Maps' in other languages and we all liked the Finnish word for it - Kartat. But then he said the singular translated as Kartta and we liked that even better.

So there you have it: a history lesson and language lesson all combined into one short tale of a band's monicker.

Though I always liked the idea of amending the word slightly so it had two Rs rather than two Ts. But hey, loads of people spell it that way anyway, so victory is mine!

Brilliant! I feel more educated just from having read that. Happy times.

In other happy times-related news, see you in Glasgow!

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

That is indeed very interesting! We got "The Underkills" from me going through the alphabet and coming up with a word for every letter. I sent all 26 names in an email to the band and the only one that all 4 agreed on was The Underkills. Nowhere near as cool or as fascinating!

We should have called ourselves Alla Murhata which is Finnish for under murder, and far cooler than Underkills :up:

Guest idol_wild
In other happy times-related news, see you in Glasgow!

Yas min! It'll be good to have some genuine support there.

Glasgow has a funny attitude towards Kartta. I don't think we're "cool" enough really. We probably read too much and don't sing in a Scottish enough accent.

Yas min! It'll be good to have some genuine support there.

Glasgow has a funny attitude towards Kartta. I don't think we're "cool" enough really. We probably read too much and don't sing in a Scottish enough accent.

Good point, well made. For example, I'm still trying to figure out Glasgow (and the rest of the country)'s preoccupation with Glasvegas at the minute. A lot of hype for an album that is 60% filler. Scottish it up and you'll be a sensation.

Seriously though, I'm looking forward to this now, I was gutted when I realised I couldn't make the Aberdeen leg, so this has all worked out quite charmingly. Never been to a gig at Sleazy's before either, so hurrahs all round.

Guest idol_wild
You should put Rob through some intensive Proclaimer album listening as training.

Nah, he'll still sound Australian regardless!

On the topic of ridiculous and over-accentuated Glaswegian accents/Glasvegas - I saw them perform a "song" on the Graham Norton show last week and I literally could not pick out a single word he was "singing". It was devastatingly horrible.

I have hardly been exposed to Glasvegas at all - I quite like some of the guitar sounds - but fuck me, seeing that performance affected me in a way I never thought possible. I couldn't leave the house for almost a week - to think I would potentially be surrounded by people who liked Glasvegas in a social environment took me a while to accept.

Horrible, horrible band.

I also saw the Never Mind the Buzzcocks with the Glasvegas "vocalist" on it, and he had rubbish sunglasses on the entire show and couldn't take a joke. He also contributed pretty much nothing. Apart from looking like a twat. Which I guess amused me and many others.[/anti-Glasvegas rant]

But hey, focus on the positives - the guitar noises still sound good.

Nah, he'll still sound Australian regardless!

On the topic of ridiculous and over-accentuated Glaswegian accents/Glasvegas - I saw them perform a "song" on the Graham Norton show last week and I literally could not pick out a single word he was "singing". It was devastatingly horrible.

I have hardly been exposed to Glasvegas at all - I quite like some of the guitar sounds - but fuck me, seeing that performance affected me in a way I never thought possible. I couldn't leave the house for almost a week - to think I would potentially be surrounded by people who liked Glasvegas in a social environment took me a while to accept.

Horrible, horrible band.

I also saw the Never Mind the Buzzcocks with the Glasvegas "vocalist" on it, and he had rubbish sunglasses on the entire show and couldn't take a joke. He also contributed pretty much nothing. Apart from looking like a twat. Which I guess amused me and many others.[/anti-Glasvegas rant]

He was an utter chode on Buzzcocks. It was actually a joy to see Simon Amstell rip the piss out of him. Adds further fuel to the fire of my theory that anyone wearing sunglasses indoors should be shot on sight, as well.

But - even though I like a couple of their tunes - they're one of the very worst examples of the NME-backed band du jour that garner this inexplicable devotion from people. I will be stunned if they make it to album two.

Horrible, horrible band.

Apparently, that boy used to be a professional football, which might explain his lack of humour and/or intellect.

2nd Dec - Little Comets

3rd Dec - The Gaslight Anthem

4th Dec - Kartta

You should amend that plan to:

2nd Dec - Barn Owl/Unwed Sailor

I might as well come along to the Glasgow show as well. Give it the Aberdeen support and heckle Phil all night. Although Phil, i find it weird that you moan about the Glasweigan attitude towards your band when you have only played about 2 gigs down there.

I'm just back from Death Cab. Yas min.

You should amend that plan to:

2nd Dec - Barn Owl/Unwed Sailor

I might as well come along to the Glasgow show as well. Give it the Aberdeen support and heckle Phil all night. Although Phil, i find it weird that you moan about the Glasweigan attitude towards your band when you have only played about 2 gigs down there.

I'm just back from Death Cab. Yas min.

That's the stuff.

Me too, how did you find it? Frightened Rabbit were quality as ever, I think it's pretty funny how they seem genuinely surprised that people like them, 'uhhh hi...fuck...there's a lot of you here'

Death Cab played some set, but I was gently disappointed with the absence of any kind of crowd interaction. And Ben Gibbard's bobbing around got on my tits.

That's the stuff.

Me too, how did you find it? Frightened Rabbit were quality as ever, I think it's pretty funny how they seem genuinely surprised that people like them, 'uhhh hi...fuck...there's a lot of you here'

Death Cab played some set, but I was gently disappointed with the absence of any kind of crowd interaction. And Ben Gibbard's bobbing around got on my tits.

Thought Death Cab were awesome. Umm wasn't impressed with FR again, mainly because of a sound problem. All i could hear was drums, bass and vocals. I've seen them twice now and been disappointed both times but i've listened to their 2nd album about 9 million times. Will give them another chance at Tuts on the 29th.

Thought Death Cab were awesome. Umm wasn't impressed with FR again, mainly because of a sound problem. All i could hear was drums, bass and vocals. I've seen them twice now and been disappointed both times but i've listened to their 2nd album about 9 million times. Will give them another chance at Tuts on the 29th.

I was right at the front for FR and the sound was surprisingly good. I moved to the back about halfway through the Death Cab set and the change in sound quality was unbelievable. It sounded like they were playing in their mum's loft. Terrible. I pretty much hate the Corn Exchange anyway, I resent travelling miles from the centre of town for pish sound quality and no post-gig bus service. Bah.

Well chuffed at the nice varied set Death Cab played, they were on for ages too. I gaurentee FR at King Tut's will be amazing, it's their kind of venue.

Guest idol_wild

It's not just from the shows - indeed I'm not even moaning as such, it's just an observation and certain things that have been said to me by people I speak to in Glasgow :)