aberdeen-music

Aberdeen pub goers to be drug tested

Chris

Unfortunately for the Police, they can't be in every bar all the time. Therefore, if you take drugs and see them testing people, go somewhere else for the time being.

It's hardly going to change the world. What bugs me most is the infringment of my civil liberty. Why can I not go into a pub and order a drink without getting tested? And why just pubs? Do drug users not also walk into shops?

I can just imagine the outrage if they set up shop inside Marks and Spencer and started testing everyone with swabs on the way in.

They should have done the swap testing at The Forum last night. There were fuck loads of people walking around rubbing their noses, off their faces on (what i can only assume is) drugs.

they couldn't all have colds could they?

I was rubbing my nose the other day, as it was getting a bit drippy in the cold...I hope the cops don't pounce on me!

They should have done the swap testing at The Forum last night. There were fuck loads of people walking around rubbing their noses, off their faces on (what i can only assume is) drugs.

I had an itchy nose all last night, but it was just a cold. Brilliant gig by the way (not to hijack the thread).

It was more the concern of several people emerging from the same toilet cubicle, all rubbish their noses whilst looking like they aren't really with it.

It was still a cracking gig though.... but there were definately a good few people that were getting a bit of extra assistance in enjoying themselves.

Everyone buying drinks at the bar? :up:

There's a clear difference. The people in question seemed to have bottles of water to boot.

Well, not that I'm speaking from personal experience you understand, but I hear that people who are coked up tend to drink copious amounts of alcohol. Water's for ecstasy (I think).

But perhaps someone who has personal experience of these matters can step in and confirm.

What was the gig last night anyway?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

"Mr Greig added that without the device the two arrests could not have been made, and it could be used in the long-term fight against Aberdeens growing problem with crack cocaine."

must remember to leave my crack pipe and home next time i'm on a night out...seriously though, has anyone in the history of drug abuse smoked crack while out drinking? that's like expecting to find a syringe, spoon and a parcel of smack in someone's shirt pocket in the queue. whatever crack epidemic aberdeen has, probably doesn't manifest itself in the toilets of soul bar.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

fuck crack anyway, the police have got bigger fish to fry. there is a new drug called cake with its own culture of boom raves on the streets now.

"What is Cake? Well, it has an active ingredient which is a dangerous psychoactive compound known as dimesmeric andersonphosphate. It stimulates the part of the brain called Shatner's Bassoon. And that's the bit of the brain that deals with time perception. So, a second feels like a month. Well, it almost sounds like fun...unless you're the Prague schoolboy who walked out into the street straight in front of a tram. He thought he'd got a month to cross the street. "

• Upvote 1

People drinking shit loads of water, dancing like a maniac non-stop, vacant glassy eyes, rubbing noses... spending 10 minutes in a cubicle with several others (not talking much) then all of them emerging whilst breathing in deeply and rubbing their noses.

All I'm saying is that I was very suspicious and as were the people with me (I was sober). Hence why I think it would have been interesting if they'd been swabbing people at the Forum last night.

Ah, ok. Not really what I was getting at.

They're hardly going to catch a crack addict in Soul to be fair. Crack addictions usually go hand in hand with heroin. And most places in Aberdeen are a tad too expensive for your stereotypical addict.

This device is just ridiculous. It's not going to have any real effect on serious addiction or the dealers. Waste of money.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
If they search me they'll find a syringe anyway.

Mind you, I'm an insulin dependant diabetic.

All I meant was that opiates or crack don't really go hand in hand with a night on the tiles, and that this is being touted as a solution to the expanding crack/heroin problem which is total bullshit. Unless these come back into fashion that is...

800px-Interior_chinese_lodging_house%2C_san_francisco.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

It is deffinately a hugely ridiculous idea. The money could be spent in far better ways to improve public safety.

There are two things we can do;

Avoid attending the places which have these tests on principle.

Do not give the people in the council who approves these measures our votes (I cannot do this howevr as I live in Aberdeenshire).

It is deffinately a hugely ridiculous idea. The money could be spent in far better ways to improve public safety.

There are two things we can do;

Avoid attending the places which have these tests on principle.

Do not give the people in the council who approves these measures our votes (I cannot do this howevr as I live in Aberdeenshire).

"Do not give the people in the council who approves these measures our votes" Excellent idea. After all, that's what all this crap is about, votes and posturing. Many of those people have absolutely no principles and will happily jump on any populist bandwagon (regardless of how stupid it is) if they think there are a few extra votes in it. They probably think there's still a few more votes to gained in banging the authoritarian 'tough on drugs' drum.

I don't use illegal drugs, that's my choice, but I object to being asked to prove my innocence to gain entry to pub. Way I see it, I shouldn't have to prove anything.

Anyone up for doing a bit of emailing/letter writing to find out where they stand on it?

Y'know, I was discussing this whole business in Archibald Simpsons being quite loud and drunk (oooh irony!!!) and I got these reactions:

My friend doesn't think it's bad, would submit to it, even though he's a really infrequent pot user. Dumb dumb dumb.

Girl in the booth in front of us turned around and gave us the Aberdeen 'pod people' stare.

I'm definitely stopping drinking after the new year. It's not just because out legal system is stupid and hypocritical. It's mainly because, as a nation, we're majorly pished up bams and it needs to end IMO.

We invented the phone and the tv!

I bet when pissed too.

There's dispute over whether we did. There are suspicions of theft for the telephone and what we think of now as television was invented by an American, JLB's mechanical system was never going anywhere.

Invention of the telephone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who is the inventor of television?