aberdeen-music

Aberdeen pub goers to be drug tested

Chris

I got tested outside Soul on Saturday night. Apparently the machines test the sweat in the palm of the hand, not any substance that has been in connection with the hand.

In that case, why waste this technology hounding out the druggies when it could clearly be used to greater effect to discover who the wankers are?

In that case, why waste this technology hounding out the druggies when it could clearly be used to greater effect to discover who the wankers are?

because it doesn't detect spunk on the palm, just spunk IN the sweat...and you have to snuffle down um big heap of um spunk before it comes out your sweat glands..........doesn't it?.......

Oh, not that sort of wanker...sorry, move along, nothing to see....

This is reminiscent of last winters 'initiative' where "The Police and City Council were working with young people to clamp down on the selling of booze to children". They were sending kids aged 14-15 under cover into pubs and clubs to try and buy drink. Again the intentions may have been well meaning but the plan was ill conceived. Personally I would have preferred to see them sending children down to the red light district undercover (ho ho) to solicit drivers for sex... but I guess that might have opened a few unwelcome cans of worms LMAO!

It would appear that a few well placed fascists have a hand in the running of this town.

The sweaty palms thing would indicate that they are going after drug users rather than drug pushers (let's be clear there is a big distinction between dealer and pusher) since pushers (unlike dealers) will not usually have ingested the drugs themselves. It's not actually illegal to ingest drugs.

Just wait till they start taking hair cuttings and storing the results on your citizens ID card. "You papers please - ahh I sink you shall now be vearing zis 'D' patch on your clothing. Report to ze Department of Public Security to have you unique identification number tattooed on your forehead. You shall be billed 200 for zis privilaged. Now open your mouth so zat ze dentist can check your teeth."

Interestingly it is apparently perfectly OK for persons unknown in our city council to sell off a prime plot of city centre real estate to Stewart Milne at a knock down price under false pretenses. Remember the City Warf scandal earlier in the year when Mr Milne somehow purchase a couple of acres of car park behind Union Street for only 500K??? Either the people responsible for that were criminals or so fuckin stupid they should be committed to Cornhill.

Interestingly it is apparently perfectly OK for persons unknown in our city council to sell off a prime plot of city centre real estate to Stewart Milne at a knock down price under false pretenses. Remember the City Warf scandal earlier in the year when Mr Milne somehow purchase a couple of acres of car park behind Union Street for only 500K??? Either the people responsible for that were criminals or so fuckin stupid they should be committed to Cornhill.

bonny job he did with it too

*FALLS OFF CHAIR LAUGHING*

Yeah um right hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

It always amuses me how the followers of science blank out the fact that it's internal psychology operates in identical fashion to every other form of organised religion. Science is the faith of no God based on the (flawed) principle of general demonstrability.

But hey, just out of interest, can any scientists out there please advise whether eggs are good/bad for us today/this year???

:up: QUALITY....

" Laughed my ass off and went about my day". Hicks.

Nah they didn't ask about medication. Just said they were checking for substance abuse or something. Can't remember how they worded it exactly but the machine takes a fair while to process. Installing them would definately produce huge queues outside bars. This would probably lead to more violence and hostility.

Spot on....And thats why they are doing it

:swearing: It's got fuck all to do with folks carrying anything, its about fucking with the way some people choose to live. Drugs can be detected more efficiently by trained dogs turning up at random, which is why they are deployed in situations that actually matter like an airport whenever there is a suspicion some maniac has determined to explode something. This has added benefit of being able to find the stash where ever it is in the club/pub, toilet cisterns,er,dealers house behind tiles or down the side of the seat cushion ect. Might even find a terrorist with a 9bar of semtex and a gun.... BONUS ! Nope but we got two kids royally fucked over for a couple of disco biscuits, criminalised and we are told it was a success.

Did they ask if you were on any existing medication, or did they give you any more information about the test they were doing? :)

A very good point - Quite a number of common medications contain similar, or even (shock!) the same compounds as certain abusable drugs. What is the situation there?

Proving/disproving is not an issue as this is a doctor/paitent matter & quite confidential. Pubs, clubs & the police (except in limited circumstances) have no business sticking their oar in here.

Why should they face refusal because of their health? IIRC, this is an illegal act?

*FALLS OFF CHAIR LAUGHING*

Yeah um right hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!

It always amuses me how the followers of science blank out the fact that it's internal psychology operates in identical fashion to every other form of organised religion. Science is the faith of no God based on the (flawed) principle of general demonstrability.

Bang-on!

Also, some of the most duplicitous, agenda/self-interest/ideology-laden examples of poor science can be found in the anti drug field.

Also, some of the most duplicitous, agenda/self-interest/ideology-laden examples of poor science can be found in the anti drug field.

First of all, yes. Science is often mis-appropriated and mis-quoted to fulfill someone's agenda. This agenda could be that of a politician wanting to crack down on drugs, or a protest group wanting to declassify a certain drug, or maybe something seemingly more benign like holistic health practioners lobbying for their therapies to be paid for by the NHS. There is agenda left, right and centre associated around science. My question is, is it really the scientists that are driving this?

Scientists, in my experience, are very poor about thinking of the social impact their research might have. This leads to poor communication of what their research actually shows, and as a result the implications of research is filtered through to the public via indirect channels, such as the media. It is a failing of scientists, and it is exploitable by many duplicitous, agenda/self-interest/ideology-laden people on *any* side of an argument.

What's really got my goat in this whole thread is that we're all happy to agree that the drug screening tests we've been talking about are falliable. And why is this? Because we all agree that there's strong, conclusive evidence that some drug types will interfere with certain types of test and give erroneous positive results. How was this evidence generated? It was generated by scientists, in research labs, methodically showing in a controlled fashion that these tests have weaknesses. Scientists have provided the data supporting our shared conclusion that these tests have too many weaknesses to be used satisfactorily for their purpose.

So, is it the scientists who are pushing these machines to be used on the streets? Is it scientists who have decided that you need to deter drug-users from going in to Aberdeen venues? Or is it the police, the policy makers, the council, anti-drug pressure groups?

In essence, back off the science ;)

Thanks. :)

Were you offered, or have you any idea if anyone demanded a written record of the test/search?

So, does anyone know if police can deny you access to a pub/club without good reason?

Nah, was just told i could go in after a few minutes of waiting. No explanation as to how the system worked. Was just told they were testing everyone that wanted to enter the bar. I was pretty surprised to see them implementing the tests so quickly as i'd only heard about them that day.

Bang-on!

again, it's the people "using" the data that are the crooks...but I'd hardly expect people to care about facts on here. the future is all about opinion.

From what i gather it checks the content of sweat from the palm of your hand via a swab.

Damn. So theoretically, if one was to go to a pub within a certain amount of weeks after smoking, oh I dunno, pot for example, it could show up on the swab and get this person arrested?

Does anyone know if the Prince Of Wales will be implementing this?

Damn. So theoretically, if one was to go to a pub within a certain amount of weeks after smoking, oh I dunno, pot for example, it could show up on the swab and get this person arrested?

Does anyone know if the Prince Of Wales will be implementing this?

Not arrested, no. A casual warning maybe and being refused entry to the premises most likely. Unless you were holding at the time you'd be alright.

First of all, yes. Science is often mis-appropriated and mis-quoted to fulfill someone's agenda. This agenda could be that of a politician wanting to crack down on drugs, or a protest group wanting to declassify a certain drug, or maybe something seemingly more benign like holistic health practioners lobbying for their therapies to be paid for by the NHS. There is agenda left, right and centre associated around science. My question is, is it really the scientists that are driving this?

Scientists, in my experience, are very poor about thinking of the social impact their research might have. This leads to poor communication of what their research actually shows, and as a result the implications of research is filtered through to the public via indirect channels, such as the media. It is a failing of scientists, and it is exploitable by many duplicitous, agenda/self-interest/ideology-laden people on *any* side of an argument.

What's really got my goat in this whole thread is that we're all happy to agree that the drug screening tests we've been talking about are falliable. And why is this? Because we all agree that there's strong, conclusive evidence that some drug types will interfere with certain types of test and give erroneous positive results. How was this evidence generated? It was generated by scientists, in research labs, methodically showing in a controlled fashion that these tests have weaknesses. Scientists have provided the data supporting our shared conclusion that these tests have too many weaknesses to be used satisfactorily for their purpose.

So, is it the scientists who are pushing these machines to be used on the streets? Is it scientists who have decided that you need to deter drug-users from going in to Aberdeen venues? Or is it the police, the policy makers, the council, anti-drug pressure groups?

In essence, back off the science ;)

If you fancy starting another thread on science then I'll happily get into all that with you... just be warned that some people are likely to get very upset with me.