aberdeen-music

The Strokes

mistersticks

It was just sad that the UK rip-off meant we have been subjected to Pete Doherty ever since.

Talking of mumbling junkies...

The Television stuff is more the style and feel of some of the riffing, not actual appropriation. I don't think that the Stokes have as much substance though, but hey, I'll admit that they are better than those that came in their wake.

Bloc Party are terrible. I just saw it being said they were awesome, so I needed to barge in say the opposite. As I say alot, I find it quite depressing I've seen Bloc Party live, from festival tv coverage, more times than any of my favourite bands. The number must be closing in on double figures. God, they are fucking awful. I got given their debut album to review a few years back. It was dross. I would have rather have eaten a book, than listen to it ever again. Good grief, his voice. It sounds like if Jack Penate had a mouth full of marbles.

I bought their first album on the back of that 'So Here We Are' song which I still think is ace. Unfortunately it turned out to be atypical of the rest of the album. I have no idea why I bought their second album because I never listened to the first one....

Sometimes i like watching a band who don't put any effort what so ever into a big 'stage performance' and just simply play their songs. Saying this, i think i saw The Strokes after either the 2nd or 3rd album came out, i can't quite remember but i remember not being too impressed. This was probably due to the fact they didn't play the opening track on the debut album.

Bloc Party are terrible. I just saw it being said they were awesome, so I needed to barge in say the opposite. As I say alot, I find it quite depressing I've seen Bloc Party live, from festival tv coverage, more times than any of my favourite bands. The number must be closing in on double figures. God, they are fucking awful.

I've always wanted to say that but was scared that people would think I was a racist. I saw them at the Lemon Tree before they were big. I thought they were shit then and I hate them more now. Goddamn it I hate them. They are so shit. Bleugh. Insipid yet really grating. I saw them at TitP too and spewed not long after. The two might have been connected.

The Strokes are a bit dull for me.

Well, I always hated The Strokes, because I hate rich white people, and I hate the fact that the only people that seem to find any success in music are those who can afford to buy it. It's well documented that they are all stinking rich brats, children of wealthy fashion types and art gallery owners.

Also I automatically hate any band that the NME likes. Plus, there's the whole 'fake vintage' thing in their style and sound (I remember reading that Julian Casablancas insisted on using that shitty Tandy mic through a 10w guitar amp in the recording sessions, which was then mic'd up with a 5k Neumann...fucking tool).

However, I did start to like dancing to them in Exodus when I was a little younger, and having checked the albums (first two, I think) I quite enjoy them. It's easy to hate copy-cat 'indie' music, and I do, but considering Is This It came out in 2001 or something, they were actually 'ahead of their time' in a sick way (plus, despite being ultimately derivative, can you name me any band in particular that they were obviously ripping off?).

Anyway, the real reason I dug up this thread is that I was in Halfords last night, and Casablancas' new single was being played by the saviour of music Zane Lowe, and it's fucking ace. But his album's not out until mid-October, and since I'm the last guy on the planet who has the resolve to 1. actually wait until records come out before 2. buying them (this is an ancient practice in which money is given to the proprietor of a record 'shop' in exchange for recorded goods or wares) I guess I'll just have to stay curious until then.

so do you like rich black people?

ridiculous comment