aberdeen-music

The Strokes

mistersticks

I was listening to the Strokes first album the other day and i was reminded about how much i actually liked it in the past, and now i can't stop listening to it! I was just wondering if any of you knew if they were planning to release something in the near future? as i think they really found their sound again in their last album (didn't care much for Room on Fire.)

...but maybe their too old and too rich to be bothered now?

I had the displeasure of seeing them play at Leeds Fest many moons ago.

Dullest band on earth. I don't think any of them ever even looked up or even bobbed their head. Not even a foot tap. They headlined the cunt too with their drawjopping charisma...

Boring as hell. They definitely weren't worth the hype that followed them back when the NME was all about scruffy New Yawk garage bands that didn't wash.

I had the displeasure of seeing them play at Leeds Fest many moons ago.

Dullest band on earth. I don't think any of them ever even looked up or even bobbed their head. Not even a foot tap. They headlined the cunt too with their drawjopping charisma...

Boring as hell. They definitely weren't worth the hype that followed them back when the NME was all about scruffy New Yawk garage bands that didn't wash.

I had a similar experience. I was waiting for Iggy Pop to play the main stage and instead ambled on a group of grubby looking bastards who it turned out were the strokes. It was the weekend before their debut album came out and they had been promoted to the main stage from one of the tents, as the nme had jizzed them up.

I had a similar experience. I was waiting for Iggy Pop to play the main stage and instead ambled on a group of grubby looking bastards who it turned out were the strokes. It was the weekend before their debut album came out and they had been promoted to the main stage from one of the tents, as the nme had jizzed them up.[/quote

I do have to agree to an extent with this, i seen them three years ago at T in the Park, and they were a little dull, and very drunk, but who cares? it was the bloody Strokes. I think regardless of their live performances, if your into their records, they are so good you can excuse them for being a bit shambolic live.

"Is This It?" is as close as most bands get to a perfect record, shame its went a bit tits up since then. Pretty much impossible to follow that album though...

Seriously? I'm hard pushed to name an album that plods along in such a mediocre fashion as 'Is This It?". Infact, the title is very fitting, and they were probably the words on the tip of my tongue after I heard it. Everything about it is so tame. The guitars are weak and scratchy, the drums are merely tapped and brushed upon and the vocals just murmer along to the beat. It just sounds so effortless, lifeless, and as if none of them can be arsed. And if the record isn't enough of a translation, then their static, uninspiring live performance backs it up perfectly. They come across as a band who don't really want to be a band, but just do it half arsed because they don't want to get proper jobs.

A band that I really and truly cannot understand the hype that followed them at all.

It's threads like this that confirm that I'm more and more certain that everyone on earth is fucking nuts, except for me.

Guest treader.
It's threads like this that confirm that I'm more and more certain that everyone on earth is fucking nuts, except for me.

"i'm not crazy...it's everyone else who's crazy"

*rocks back and forth*

Guest idol_wild
Seriously? I'm hard pushed to name an album that plods along in such a mediocre fashion as 'Is This It?". Infact, the title is very fitting, and they were probably the words on the tip of my tongue after I heard it. Everything about it is so tame. The guitars are weak and scratchy, the drums are merely tapped and brushed upon and the vocals just murmer along to the beat. It just sounds so effortless, lifeless, and as if none of them can be arsed. And if the record isn't enough of a translation, then their static, uninspiring live performance backs it up perfectly. They come across as a band who don't really want to be a band, but just do it half arsed because they don't want to get proper jobs.

A band that I really and truly cannot understand the hype that followed them at all.

I actually agree with most of this to an extent, but they do have a small handful of really well written and arranged pop songs. I think the lo-fi production of the first album has a certain charm about it. There is definite filler on each of their albums, however.

I also have a recording of their first ever BBC session which was aired on John Peel's show on cassette, with side B containing a live performance by ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead shortly after the first album was released. Maybe that'd be worth something...

• 10 months later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

Well, I always hated The Strokes, because I hate rich white people, and I hate the fact that the only people that seem to find any success in music are those who can afford to buy it. It's well documented that they are all stinking rich brats, children of wealthy fashion types and art gallery owners.

Also I automatically hate any band that the NME likes. Plus, there's the whole 'fake vintage' thing in their style and sound (I remember reading that Julian Casablancas insisted on using that shitty Tandy mic through a 10w guitar amp in the recording sessions, which was then mic'd up with a 5k Neumann...fucking tool).

However, I did start to like dancing to them in Exodus when I was a little younger, and having checked the albums (first two, I think) I quite enjoy them. It's easy to hate copy-cat 'indie' music, and I do, but considering Is This It came out in 2001 or something, they were actually 'ahead of their time' in a sick way (plus, despite being ultimately derivative, can you name me any band in particular that they were obviously ripping off?).

Anyway, the real reason I dug up this thread is that I was in Halfords last night, and Casablancas' new single was being played by the saviour of music Zane Lowe, and it's fucking ace. But his album's not out until mid-October, and since I'm the last guy on the planet who has the resolve to 1. actually wait until records come out before 2. buying them (this is an ancient practice in which money is given to the proprietor of a record 'shop' in exchange for recorded goods or wares) I guess I'll just have to stay curious until then.

Well, I always hated The Strokes, because I hate rich white people, and I hate the fact that the only people that seem to find any success in music are those who can afford to buy it. It's well documented that they are all stinking rich brats, children of wealthy fashion types and art gallery owners.

Also I automatically hate any band that the NME likes. Plus, there's the whole 'fake vintage' thing in their style and sound (I remember reading that Julian Casablancas insisted on using that shitty Tandy mic through a 10w guitar amp in the recording sessions, which was then mic'd up with a 5k Neumann...fucking tool).

However, I did start to like dancing to them in Exodus when I was a little younger, and having checked the albums (first two, I think) I quite enjoy them. It's easy to hate copy-cat 'indie' music, and I do, but considering Is This It came out in 2001 or something, they were actually 'ahead of their time' in a sick way (plus, despite being ultimately derivative, can you name me any band in particular that they were obviously ripping off?).

Anyway, the real reason I dug up this thread is that I was in Halfords last night, and Casablancas' new single was being played by the saviour of music Zane Lowe, and it's fucking ace. But his album's not out until mid-October, and since I'm the last guy on the planet who has the resolve to 1. actually wait until records come out before 2. buying them (this is an ancient practice in which money is given to the proprietor of a record 'shop' in exchange for recorded goods or wares) I guess I'll just have to stay curious until then.

Why do you hate a band because of their attitude and upbringing? They sound awsome, if you disliked them on musical terms that would be a viable excuse.

Bloc Party are another band of the well-educated/middle-upper class variety and they're also awsome.

ie. I fucking hate Pete Docherty but I quite like the Libs, his solo stuff is a tad suspect though but a few charming songs from time to time.

I really didn't get the whole Television comparison then and I still don't see it now.

The Strokes first album was great, regardless of whether they are privileged rich kids who try and look like scuzzy junkies. The shitty sound only added to the appeal for me, if it had sounded slick it wouldn't have been as good. The next 2 albums were patchy but still had some great songs - Reptilia, Heart in a Cage, etc.

It was just sad that the UK rip-off meant we have been subjected to Pete Doherty ever since.

Bloc Party are terrible. I just saw it being said they were awesome, so I needed to barge in say the opposite. As I say alot, I find it quite depressing I've seen Bloc Party live, from festival tv coverage, more times than any of my favourite bands. The number must be closing in on double figures. God, they are fucking awful. I got given their debut album to review a few years back. It was dross. I would have rather have eaten a book, than listen to it ever again. Good grief, his voice. It sounds like if Jack Penate had a mouth full of marbles.