aberdeen-music

Horrors!!

DJ Jo-D

but, the one film that I saw recently, that I just didn't know what was going to happen, and general made me feel a bit on edge...was Wolf Creek.

See, i thought it was shit. However i did relate to it as i have been in quite a few places like that and a few uncomfortable "situations" in the Outback before.

Some good shit in there from Ms Burnham.

Nyree Dawn Porter - once described as "the three worst actresses in Europe". She should have been booted in the fud for calling our beautiful HMT a "horrid little place"

"Plague of the Zombies" is an oldie worth considering - very atmospheric

I think I already mentioned "Curse (or Night) of the Demon"

A good sci-fi horror is "Scream and Scream Again" (gash title), if you can find the uncut version. It's completely aff it's heid and has story arcs that bear no relation to anything else in the movie, but it's high 60's camp and totally enjoyable.

"The Legacy" (1978) is good fun and as a bonus, you get to see Roger Daltrey undergoing a tracheotomy!

"The Sentinel" (1976) comes recommended. It got blasted on release for it's use of real-life freaks (and to good effect). Really claustrophobic atmosphere with great effects. Rosemary's Baby kind of thing.

That is all.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Asylum - It's kind of hard to describe without starting to ramble.

Robert Powell applies for a job at an asylum, to replace Dr. Starr who has gone off the deep end. He has to guess from 4 patients which one is actually Dr. Starr, if he guesses right he gets the job. Cue 4 creepy stories and a lovely wee twist at the end as to who Dr. Starr really is...

Probably the best of the Amicus portmanteau films, haven't seen it for years but I can remember it like it was yesterday.

There, hope that did it justice without rambling.

:up:

'The Shining' is still the only horror that truly creeps me out.

Witchfinder General for more Vincent Price goodness and also the 'Dr Phibes Rides Again' sequel is wiorth checking out. I just got 'Masque Of Red Death' and 'The Pit and The Pendulum' for 2.99 each on Play, yet to be watched though.

'Cannibal Holocaust' is disgusting in many ways but certainly sticks in the mind.

Dario Argento's 'Suspiria' is probably his best but 'Deep Red' is also worth a look as is 'Opera' and 'Tenebrae'. Find uncut versions though.

'Santa Sangre' is an insane kinda film, if you like more surreal type stuff check it out.

I found 'Wolf Creek' more rewarding on repeat viewing.

'Haute Tension/Switchblade Romance' is ace also.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Definately. I end up getting too carried away when I talk about it. It's in my top 10 of all time (might even be top 5). A definate "must watch" for any horror fan :)

It's a terrific film, was one of the first ones I saw when I started staying up late on a Friday night to watch them when I was about 10 or 11. Good times.

The story with the moving body parts in the freezer almost traumatised me for months, combine that with Geoffrey Bayldon's manic laughter at the end and an all-star cast with the likes of Herbert Lom, Robert Powell, Peter Cushing, Britt Ekland and the mighty Charlotte Rampling (down boy...) and you've got a bona fide classic.

Extreme :up:

one of the "so bad it's good" horrors I always loved was "bug" (1975)

Where high-pressured super heated bugs spew up from the centre of the earth and wreak havoc.

Its got the classic old lady on fire is actually the stun man with a beard, ach fuck it, we dont have the budget to do it again with someone smaller and thinner, like the old lady were supposed to believe is on fire

Bugposter1975.jpg