aberdeen-music

Horrors!!

DJ Jo-D

Right.... noticed on another thread quite a few horror buffs on here, so just insterested in seeing which scary movies you recommend....

I think it's hard to find a real scary movie... most these days are all about gore....which I don't find scary....where's the real horror movies??

as mentioned in another thread I love the first hellraiser one of my faves cause it has a certain darkness about it, Candyman too had some moments (but haven't watched it in ages....hmmm might have to get that again) - can't even think of any spinechillin ones...I even watch them on my own in the dark for more effect!! haha

HELP?

The Dawn of the Dead re-make is one of my favourites; purely because it's one of the films that (literally) put a new lease of life into zombies by no longer making them lame! (along with 28 days later).

All the original Japanese horrors (Ring, Grudge, etc) are pretty scary, especially when compared to their lame re-makes. I've also had a copy of Suspiria for years but am too scared to watch it because it's apparently fucking mental!

My overall favourites are my 30 or so Vipco Horror DVDs (collection of proper b-movies): cannibal ferox, zombie flesh eaters, nostril picker, toolbox murderer, driller killer, psychic killer, rats... Picked them all up for 5 when they were available in HMV and they're either ace, or so lame that they're still ace!

The Japanese movie "Audition" is really disturbing. No ghosties or ghoulies or bints coming out of tellies - just really, really unsettling.

For "traditional" horror, I can't see past "The Exorcist", it has a genuinely malevolent atmosphere.

Going even further back, the 50's movie "Curse of the Demon" (or "Night of the Demon") is a must see. Groundbreaking effects for the time and an intelligent storyline.

The Dawn of the Dead re-make is one of my favourites; purely because it's one of the films that (literally) put a new lease of life into zombies by no longer making them lame! (along with 28 days later).

All the original Japanese horrors (Ring, Grudge, etc) are pretty scary, especially when compared to their lame re-makes. I've also had a copy of Suspiria for years but am too scared to watch it because it's apparently fucking mental!

The first 20 mins of Dawn of the Dead are superb, especially the arial shots which build up a picture of utter chaos.

Suspiria is the fuckin baws! - I'm old enough to have seen it in the cinema - sneaked in when I was about 14 - big mistake. Argento's best by a country mile.

Threads - haven't seen, but will look it up :) is that the 84 or 02 version?

Seen all the of the dead movies, love all that and b-movies, but generally for the movie not for it being scarey tho

Def find the jap horrors much more disturbing than normal ones, Seens Battle Royal 1&2, Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Venegance, ring etc got ichi the killer to watch at home

Love the exorsist too, real creepy, something about children & religion in a movie is creepy!

Pans labyrinth was really good, didn't expect it to be so distrubing :)

One of the creepiest things I have seen is Robin Williams in 24 Hour Photo. The French film Them is quite good too and there is always The Thing. I cannot stress how much I love The Thing.

For classic gory horror, seek out Braindead. There is a fantastic lawnmower/multiple zombie death scene.

Jesus, where to begin? I'm a huge horror geek, and I will watch anything horror.

My favourite horrors are generally slashers, and good old 80s cheese horror. I love ANYTHING with zombies in it. Anything with proper scary monsters (ie Freddy, Jason)

My favourites include:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

Dawn Of The Dead (original or remake)

Night Of The Living Dead

Land Of The Dead

Evil Dead

Nightmare On Elm Steet 1 & 7

Friday the 13th 1 & 2

Hellraiser 1

The Omen (original)

Scream 1 or 2

28 Days Later

Wrong Turn

House Of Wax (remake)

The House On Haunted Hill (original)

Hallowe'en

Blair Witch Project

The Grudge

The Hills Have Eyes (original though the remake is OK as well)

Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2 (the second one is better)

Candyman

I Know What You Did Last Summer (though the 2 sequels suck)

The Leprechaun (ridiculous but good)

The Ring

The Descent

The Fly (original or remake)

Cabin Fever

Hostel 1 & 2

It

Pet Semetary 1 & 2

When a Stranger Calls

Village Of The Damned (original)

Childs Play

Black Christmas (remake, never seen the original)

Poltergeist (1-4)

The Exorcist

Psycho (original)

American Werewolf In London (not strictly horror per se)

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (from 1920 not that scary but excellent nonetheless)

Any of the classic horrors from the 1930s-1940s are usually very watchable. Hammer Horror. Anything with Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney, or Boris Karloff. Classics! Anything with Vincent Price!

There are so many more, I've got a big horror collection at home, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Lucky R

- your horror tastes a bit like mine!! I've seen all them expect Black Christmas and I did start watching blair witch once but bored the shit out me

I have Braindead & Orphanage on my lovefilms list (i think the spanish helped the creepiness in pans L as well)

Also seen Omen, halloween, Creep......

Has anyone seen Mirrors? Been recommended haven't watched it tho......

Lucky R

- your horror tastes a bit like mine!! I've seen all them expect Black Christmas and I did start watching blair witch once but bored the shit out me

I have Braindead & Orphanage on my lovefilms list (i think the spanish helped the creepiness in pans L as well)

Also seen Omen, halloween, Creep......

Has anyone seen Mirrors? Been recommended haven't watched it tho......

I've been meaning to go and see Mirrors but I haven't got round to it yet. I'm not really into the kind of scary ghosty films like the Ring and Grudge and stuff that genuinely scare me, I just like a good ol' fashioned family gorefest! When people ask me what kind of films I like I usually reply with "Anything that involves attractive teenagers being chopped up", it gets you some strange looks sometimes...

I also love the Addams Family :laughing:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
The Japanese movie "Audition" is really disturbing. No ghosties or ghoulies or bints coming out of tellies - just really, really unsettling.

"Kirikirikirikirikirikirikiri..."

Aarrgghh! That film would make a misogynist out of anyone, really dark shit going on there.

Personally, I think Lucio Fulci's zombie films piss on the Romero ones, the 4 that Fulci did are Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Beyond, City of the Living Dead and The House By the Cemetery, the latter being the best of the lot.

Most horror films nowadays are pretty lame. Give me the Hammer classics any time.

And remakes do not exist...

:up:

Once you've experienced the joys of Braindead, be sure to check out Bad Taste, which is absolutely fucking terrible and brilliant at the same time. Peter Jackson made it on something like a $4,000 budget.

yeah seen 'bad taste' and 'good taste' (the making) was mighty funny like, got the thing, basket case and a few others on video from years ago....what to do with my videos....don't wanna dispose of them :(

Started watching Ichi the Killer last night, OMG disturbing, I thought Oldboy was bad but this (and I'm only half way through - casue getting sleepy reading subtitles) it's pretty gruesome and out there!!

Also for zombie lovers, seems to be a funny slasher type one called dance of the dead.. not watched yet tho

Started watching Ichi the Killer last night, OMG disturbing, I thought Oldboy was bad but this (and I'm only half way through - casue getting sleepy reading subtitles) it's pretty gruesome and out there!!

Ok... I just looked on imdb and no wonder you think it's disturbing! It's been banned in a few countries and heavily edited in others!! Eeek. Hope you don't have nightmares.

Threads - haven't seen, but will look it up :) is that the 84 or 02 version?

Seen all the of the dead movies, love all that and b-movies, but generally for the movie not for it being scarey tho

Def find the jap horrors much more disturbing than normal ones, Seens Battle Royal 1&2, Oldboy, Sympathy for Lady Venegance, ring etc got ichi the killer to watch at home

Love the exorsist too, real creepy, something about children & religion in a movie is creepy!

Pans labyrinth was really good, didn't expect it to be so distrubing :)

Oldboy and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (and Mr Vengeance) are South Korean, not Japanese.

Audition is probably the best horror film I've seen. Same guy did Ichi the Killer.

Personally, I think Lucio Fulci's zombie films piss on the Romero ones, the 4 that Fulci did are Zombie Flesh Eaters, The Beyond, City of the Living Dead and The House By the Cemetery, the latter being the best of the lot.

Agreed - Fulchi is ace, especially The Beyond

I recommend a Spanish film called 'Rec' (as in 'record'), ace modern zombie movie with a brutal ending. Also 'The Last Horror Movie' - it's a british mockumentary about a serial killer with some genuinely chilling moments and super-realistic killings. Joy! :up:

I grew immune to the horror films over the years, turning them into the game of "when are the first tits coming out", "who's going to die first", "when's the face going to appear the opened (and soon to close) door"etc...

but, the one film that I saw recently, that I just didn't know what was going to happen, and general made me feel a bit on edge...was Wolf Creek.

The whole menace is just ace in it.

so many other classics that as everyone has said, are too numerous to mention.

the Japs do do a good horror, 'til the Yanks steal them.

yeah seen 'bad taste' and 'good taste' (the making) was mighty funny like,....

I love the priest in the film, watch when he's running through the grass / bamboo...he's got a wee spot of shite on his trousers...

as for brain dead...just fucking amazing.

"the Head Shot's the only true stopper".

(I hear myself say this every time I see a zombie get shot in the head)

and who could forget the classic line:

"I kick arse for the Lord!"