aberdeen-music

Help - ms access!

Ghostwriter

Hey,

I have to do a stupid coursework project for uni. It's a database in MS Access that is supposed to be based on a bookshop.

My problem is this: i've created a form that runs a search on the tables by using a query. The criteria line I'm using in the query is:

[Forms]![staffBookSearch]![WhatAuthor] Or [Forms]![staffBookSearch]![WhatAuthor] is Null

I'm now trying to add a wildcard so that if, when searching, the DB user only knows part of an author's name, all the search results will still appear.

Can someone please help? I can't seem to get "*" to work.. and i've looked at so many online help forums.. and can't find anything to work.

Thanks

Can you post the full SQL query?

I dunno what all that square brackets stuff is but I assume it's generated by the query builder, if you can post what's in the SQL view that'd be better.

Failing that try % instead of *, though * should work in Access.

At this point I'd probably say the Uni shouldn't be teaching Access anyway but then I remember that I've had to look at problems with 2 or 3 Access database in the last month at work.

Hey,

I have to do a stupid coursework project for uni. It's a database in MS Access that is supposed to be based on a bookshop.

My problem is this: i've created a form that runs a search on the tables by using a query. The criteria line I'm using in the query is:

[Forms]![staffBookSearch]![WhatAuthor] Or [Forms]![staffBookSearch]![WhatAuthor] is Null

I'm now trying to add a wildcard so that if, when searching, the DB user only knows part of an author's name, all the search results will still appear.

Can someone please help? I can't seem to get "*" to work.. and i've looked at so many online help forums.. and can't find anything to work.

Thanks

Would something like this work?

[Forms]![StaffBookSearch]![WhatAuthor] Like '*'

• 2 weeks later...