aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree Support Slots / Indie-Cent Exposure Clubnights

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I don't understand the real personal attacks on this forum by some people.

Its just a fucking club night at the lemon tree!! END OF!!

If you don't like it then fine, but don't personally abuse someone by calling them "goons" or wanting to "smash your face in with a brick". Thats crossing the line and there's absolutely no need for it!!

I'm sure the guys are taking all comments on board but seriously, no need for the personal and rather disgusting behaviour.

Guest idol_wild
I don't understand the real personal attacks on this forum by some people.

Its just a fucking club night at the lemon tree!! END OF!!

If you don't like it then fine, but don't personally abuse someone by calling them "goons" or wanting to "smash your face in with a brick". Thats crossing the line and there's absolutely no need for it!!

I'm sure the guys are taking all comments on board but seriously, no need for the personal and rather disgusting behaviour.

What are you actually talking about? I just re-read this thread and didn't see any of this quoted...?

I don't think there are any personal attacks on this thread and all of the arguments are well put and genuinely sincere - as live music fans, we all want to see the Lemon Tree flourish and reach it's potential. The response from Indie-Cent Exposure has been well written, though slightly contradictory to some extent and I think the proposed system is flawed - and I've expressed that eloquently and civilly; as has everyone else on this thread.

I see no problems in this thread relating to what I quoted you with above...

What are you actually talking about? I just re-read this thread and didn't see any of this quoted...?

I don't think there are any personal attacks on this thread and all of the arguments are well put and genuinely sincere - as live music fans, we all want to see the Lemon Tree flourish and reach it's potential. The response from Indie-Cent Exposure has been well written, though slightly contradictory to some extent and I think the proposed system is flawed - and I've expressed that eloquently and civilly; as has everyone else on this thread.

I see no problems in this thread relating to what I quoted you with above...

What was the main problem with the Lemon Tree failing in the first place? I was never really sure what happened...

Guest idol_wild
What was the main problem with the Lemon Tree failing in the first place? I was never really sure what happened...

It depends who you speak to on that matter.

But basically, they lost too much money. For various reasons, I'd say; the majority, it seems to me, down to their own deficiencies.

I'd also strongly suggest against the condescending 'constructive criticism' idea. Comedy.

Stop regurgitating the word 'database' and take notice that a number of the established musicians you've been rabbiting on about are on this very thread voicing their disapproval. This idea will probably leave you stuck with a bundle of pap bands dying for a pat on the back, with the good ones giving you a wide berth.

Update: EXPOSURE @ LEMON TREE

Please see below for an update on the new clubnight at the Lemon Tree. Although the main principles remain the same, we have taken on board all comments and suggestions received, which we appreciate.

With the name being changed to "Exposure @ Lemon Tree" there will be a new myspace site etc. created, but these things obviously take time. For the moment, you can still find us here:

MySpace.com - Indie-Cent Exposure - UK - Indie / Rock / Alternative - www.myspace.com/indiecentexposureclub

Please ignore the name - this is no longer just an indie clubnight - it is open to all genres.

You can contact us be e-mailing here or by sending a PM.

Cheers,

Calum

:up:

===============================================================

EXPOSURE @ LEMON TREE

The Clubnight

Exposure @ Lemon Tree is an all new clubnight at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen held on the first Friday of each month.

The aim is to give all local bands/musicians the chance to shine by playing on a big stage at a big venue, in front of a big crowd.

The clubnight has evolved from the Indie-Cent Exposure clubnight, which was aimed at local indie/rock bands. EXPOSURE @ LEMON TREE IS OPEN TO ALL GENRES

Bands wishing to play at the clubnight are urged to get in touch by clicking HERE.

Exposure @ Lemon Tree is dedicated to helping and supporting local bands and the Aberdeen Music Scene.

It should be noted that we will contact bands directly as we are always actively seeking out bands, by attending local gigs, searching these forums/myspace/etc. However, if you are reading this and are in a band, the best advice is to let us know youre out there!

We aim to feature at least one band which is well established and experienced on the local scene and give other less experienced bands the chance to play alongside these bands.

Support Slots @ the Lemon Tree

The clubnight is also a great way to get your band known within the Lemon Tree for upcoming support slots.

The new Lemon Tree music programmer is compiling a database/list of local acts who he believes are ready and capable of slotting in alongside some of the great touring acts coming to play in Aberdeen at the Lemon Tree.

For young, upcoming bands, the best way to get on that database is to be featured at an upcoming Exposure @ Lemon Tree clubnight.

By way of information on how support slots at the Lemon Tree (and other venues) work, it is generally the case that touring bands take at least one touring act with them, limiting the scope for local unsigned bands to gain support slots. The aim of the database is to have an easily accessible, up to date list of current bands, along with some current recordings, and current information, that can be e-mailed direct to the tour promoter, recommending the local unsigned act for a specific support slot. There is absolutely no guarantee that the touring promoter will approve of the local support band, but this will give the band a far better chance of gaining the support slot, than, for example, just a myspace link, which the promoter may not check.

For the purposes of clarity, featuring at Exposure @ Lemon Tree is not the only way to be placed on the support acts database. Bands that are established on the local music scene and have achieved success within the local music scene and beyond will always be considered for upcoming support slots. However, it is recommended that such bands keep us updated with current recordings and information so we can provide touring promoters with the best possible information, giving each band the best possible chance of securing the support slot.

Feedback and advice

For the young/upcoming bands/musicians, feedback on their performance and general music industry advice will be available on request.

Calum Crighton from local band The Underkills is the Exposure @ Lemon Tree promoter and programmer. The Underkills have achieved moderate local success in a short period of performing. In less than two years, The Underkills have supported signed bands such as The Dykeenies, The Law, Good Books, Dodgy, Hayseed Dixie, The Departure and Silent Years (amongst others), and have headlined venues in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen, as well as headlining the unsigned stage @ Wizard Festival 2008, which featured Supergrass, Roddy Woomble, The Cinematics and The Damned (amongst others).

Derek McArthur is the new music programmer at the Lemon Tree. Derek has been heavily involved in the local scenes of Glasgow and Aberdeen since the early 90s playing and managing in various bands in both cities.

Exposure @ Lemon Tree also hopes to have guest musicians from both the local scene and further afield at the clubnights to offer advice when requested.

Young/upcoming bands/musicians (or any of the featured acts), can request feedback and advice on their performance or pose any music industry question, whether it be getting a gig in another city, promoting a gig, or anything they can think of, and we will do our utmost to either provide an answer or at least point them in the right direction.

It should be noted that we will not offer advice or feedback on bands songs or songwriting ability. This is obviously a very subjective, opinion based matter, and we would not be entitled to provide such feedback or advice.

Cheers,

Calum

Hey an inexperienced promoter, there's NO WAY he can know what he's talking about, eh? I love the collective superiority complex.

I guess the bands in this thread are too good to have to try out for a support slot in The Lemon Tree?

If the promoter wants you to play an clubnight to see if you're good enough to be considered for future slots, swallow your pride, put your ego aside and just play the fucking gig instead of crying about it.

Ok - firstly your feedback is appreciated.

I'll try and clear a few things up in this post.

"the only way to get a support slot" - the only way to get a support slot at the Lemon Tree is to be on the database - that is correct. However, the point on bands such as the Little Kicks (for example) who are established on the music scene will not have to "audition" to get on the database.

I should have been clearer in that respect. Yes, a lot of bands will have to come through the clubnight first. But, bands such as the Little Kicks will of course be considered for support slots without playing at a clubnight. However, it would be hugely disappointing if established bands like the Little Kicks don't ever play at a clubnight. The idea is to get all the best local bands, not just the up and coming ones in and playing at the Lemon Tree.

Of course, a band like the Little Kicks doesn't need a gig like this - they are quite capable of organising and promoting their own show at the Lemon Tree (or any other venue in Aberdeen and beyond), but we would appreciate their support and want all the established bands to play at some point too.

It is quite difficult to get across on here exactly what I'm trying to say. Basically, bands wanting a support slot will need to be on the database, but obviously there are bands out there who will already be at a stage where they will be considered for support slots, and will be at the stage where they are being approached to play at the clubnights.

For example, the first clubnight had Eskimo Blonde headlining - that's a band that have done a lot on the local scene and much further afield. Bands like Lady Mercedes, Rescue Party and Fivefifteen have all been on the scene for years, and are all on for first monthly clubnight in February. If a touring act was to be playing before that gig went ahead but it was perfect for Fivefifteen to play, we'd be putting Fivefifteen forward to support them.

It's not a case of, "sorry, you've not played the clubnight, you're not getting the support slot".

Come time, we hope that will be the case, in the sense that all the established local bands will have played the clubnight at some point, and we will keep adding to the database when a new band comes on the scene that impresses. At the moment, we obviously don't have a database as such, and that's what we're trying to build up - but there are clearly plenty of bands that we are well aware of that are capable of stepping up and supporting a touring act at the Lemon Tree.

To clear up another point from above regarding local acts being less favoured than other bands. Support slots are generally never decided by the Lemon Tree. Steven Milne posted a similar thread on this a while back regarding support slots at Moshulu. What happens (as most folk will know) is that the touring band will take a touring act with them, and sometimes that's the end of the story - there's no room for the local acts. We will put a local act forward to each touring act (if there is a suitable local act) to be approved for a support slot. Obviously it's better for the local bands if the touring act doesn't take a touring support with them (which doesn't happen very often), as there will be a slot up for grabs. At the end of the day though, we can only suggest the local support act to the touring act (or more appropriately the booking agent/manager/etc) and hope they agree to that local act getting the support slot.

In response to offramp's comment - I don't actually know the answer. This was obviously set up as an Indie-Rock night before the whole support slot issue arose, and before the new programmer was in place. I will need to discuss this with Derek. Obviously an experimental electronic act or a metal band (or .......) won't be suited to an Indie/Rock night, so there will need to be other ways explored for this.

We are still just at the beginning of this, and different ideas are still being mooted. It could be that the name of the night is changed or the Indie-Cent Exposure night doesn't happen quite every month, and we have a different genre on different months. Or other genres may be treated in an entirely different way. Like I say, I will need to speak to Derek about that one.

Any other comments/suggestions, please feel free.

Cheers :up:

Are you the new programmer? You seem to be doing a helluva lot of work for the LT if not! This whole set up strikes me as the LT placing itself at the pinnacle of the local music scene and it has a great deal of work to do before it gets that status back, if ever, and it's not looking hopeful. I haven't read your entire post as each one seems to get longer and longer as you dig yourself out of an ever increasing hole! The way things are going is simply encouraging me to get back into promoting and putting on gigs elsewhere!

And as for the Underkills and feedback/advice. You have a great deal of work to do before you are ready to offer any advice to bands at any stage of a career. I say this having heard you but not seen you play. Happy to be proven wrong and I appreciate what you are trying to do but it strikes me as somewhat misguided. I have been involved in music in many ways for around 20+ years and would still be very cautious about offering advice and feedback for a band. And if I ever happen to play the LT and someone comes up to me offering me feedback they better have some protective headgear on!

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild
Hey an inexperienced promoter, there's NO WAY he can know what he's talking about, eh? I love the collective superiority complex.

I guess the bands in this thread are too good to have to try out for a support slot in The Lemon Tree?

If the promoter wants you to play an clubnight to see if you're good enough to be considered for future slots, swallow your pride, put your ego aside and just play the fucking gig instead of crying about it.

I think you're completely missing the point. Completely.

The majority of the concern expressed on this thread isn't from the point of view of musicians, but rather the view of live music fans. The Lemon Tree is a key exponent of live music in Aberdeen (well...it was, anyway) and as a very regular gig-goer, it'd be absolutely lovely to see it up and running and thriving.

The initial ideas from IndieCent Exposure in this thread were glaringly obvious - the only way for local musicians to be considered for touring support slots at the Lemon Tree was to play a lad-rock/post-britpop/bluesy/indie rock 'n roll themed club night.

Which is a massive case of tunnel vision.

In my opinion, Aberdeen has some seriously fine musicians who are considerably better than many of the touring acts who come to these parts, and it'd just be really nice for The Lemon Tree to recognise that there is a broad spectrum of genres/styles/types of music being produced locally. I would love to see some of my local favourites playing in an environment as suitable, comfortable, and, at times, special as The Lemon Tree. Yet with the plans that were initially laid out, this looked unlikely.

Thankfully, Calum has been receptive and communicative and broadened the apparent horizons adopted by the new programming/booking team. So thumbs up to him thus far.

Let's hope it works out.

I think you're completely missing the point. Completely.

The majority of the concern expressed on this thread isn't from the point of view of musicians, but rather the view of live music fans. The Lemon Tree is a key exponent of live music in Aberdeen (well...it was, anyway) and as a very regular gig-goer, it'd be absolutely lovely to see it up and running and thriving.

The initial ideas from IndieCent Exposure in this thread were glaringly obvious - the only way for local musicians to be considered for touring support slots at the Lemon Tree was to play a lad-rock/post-britpop/bluesy/indie rock 'n roll themed club night.

Which is a massive case of tunnel vision.

In my opinion, Aberdeen has some seriously fine musicians who are considerably better than many of the touring acts who come to these parts, and it'd just be really nice for The Lemon Tree to recognise that there is a broad spectrum of genres/styles/types of music being produced locally. I would love to see some of my local favourites playing in an environment as suitable, comfortable, and, at times, special as The Lemon Tree. Yet with the plans that were initially laid out, this looked unlikely.

Thankfully, Calum has been receptive and communicative and broadened the apparent horizons adopted by the new programming/booking team. So thumbs up to him thus far.

Let's hope it works out.

Yes - I hope all the issues have now been addressed, and with the support of bands and music fans alike (of all genres), the Lemon Tree will be back to what it should be and a bustling part of the thriving Aberdeen Music Scene.

As always, your feedback/suggestions and ultimately support is much appreciated.

Personally I would start with a big database of bands and whittle it down rather than adding to a small* list (slowly). Breadth of knowledge rather than depth is needed at this stage I think.

* I'm assuming the list would be small since there aren't a huge amount of bands I'd put on the "definite" list without more investigation, and I've probably seen 90%+ of local acts.

Please see below for an update on the new clubnight at the Lemon Tree. Although the main principles remain the same, we have taken on board all comments and suggestions received, which we appreciate.

With the name being changed to "Exposure @ Lemon Tree" there will be a new myspace site etc. created, but these things obviously take time. For the moment, you can still find us here:

MySpace.com - Indie-Cent Exposure - UK - Indie / Rock / Alternative - www.myspace.com/indiecentexposureclub

Please ignore the name - this is no longer just an indie clubnight - it is open to all genres.

You can contact us be e-mailing here or by sending a PM.

Cheers,

Calum

===============================================================

EXPOSURE @ LEMON TREE

The Clubnight

Exposure @ Lemon Tree is an all new clubnight at the Lemon Tree in Aberdeen held on the first Friday of each month.

The aim is to give all local bands/musicians the chance to shine by playing on a big stage at a big venue, in front of a big crowd.

The clubnight has evolved from the Indie-Cent Exposure clubnight, which was aimed at local indie/rock bands. EXPOSURE @ LEMON TREE IS OPEN TO ALL GENRES

Bands wishing to play at the clubnight are urged to get in touch by clicking HERE.

Exposure @ Lemon Tree is dedicated to helping and supporting local bands and the Aberdeen Music Scene.

It should be noted that we will contact bands directly as we are always actively seeking out bands, by attending local gigs, searching these forums/myspace/etc. However, if you are reading this and are in a band, the best advice is to let us know youre out there!

We aim to feature at least one band which is well established and experienced on the local scene and give other less experienced bands the chance to play alongside these bands.

Support Slots @ the Lemon Tree

The clubnight is also a great way to get your band known within the Lemon Tree for upcoming support slots.

The new Lemon Tree music programmer is compiling a database/list of local acts who he believes are ready and capable of slotting in alongside some of the great touring acts coming to play in Aberdeen at the Lemon Tree.

For young, upcoming bands, the best way to get on that database is to be featured at an upcoming Exposure @ Lemon Tree clubnight.

By way of information on how support slots at the Lemon Tree (and other venues) work, it is generally the case that touring bands take at least one touring act with them, limiting the scope for local unsigned bands to gain support slots. The aim of the database is to have an easily accessible, up to date list of current bands, along with some current recordings, and current information, that can be e-mailed direct to the tour promoter, recommending the local unsigned act for a specific support slot. There is absolutely no guarantee that the touring promoter will approve of the local support band, but this will give the band a far better chance of gaining the support slot, than, for example, just a myspace link, which the promoter may not check.

For the purposes of clarity, featuring at Exposure @ Lemon Tree is not the only way to be placed on the support acts database. Bands that are established on the local music scene and have achieved success within the local music scene and beyond will always be considered for upcoming support slots. However, it is recommended that such bands keep us updated with current recordings and information so we can provide touring promoters with the best possible information, giving each band the best possible chance of securing the support slot.

Feedback and advice

For the young/upcoming bands/musicians, feedback on their performance and general music industry advice will be available on request.

Calum Crighton from local band The Underkills is the Exposure @ Lemon Tree promoter and programmer. The Underkills have achieved moderate local success in a short period of performing. In less than two years, The Underkills have supported signed bands such as The Dykeenies, The Law, Good Books, Dodgy, Hayseed Dixie, The Departure and Silent Years (amongst others), and have headlined venues in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen, as well as headlining the unsigned stage @ Wizard Festival 2008, which featured Supergrass, Roddy Woomble, The Cinematics and The Damned (amongst others).

Derek McArthur is the new music programmer at the Lemon Tree. Derek has been heavily involved in the local scenes of Glasgow and Aberdeen since the early 90s playing and managing in various bands in both cities.

Exposure @ Lemon Tree also hopes to have guest musicians from both the local scene and further afield at the clubnights to offer advice when requested.

Young/upcoming bands/musicians (or any of the featured acts), can request feedback and advice on their performance or pose any music industry question, whether it be getting a gig in another city, promoting a gig, or anything they can think of, and we will do our utmost to either provide an answer or at least point them in the right direction.

It should be noted that we will not offer advice or feedback on bands songs or songwriting ability. This is obviously a very subjective, opinion based matter, and we would not be entitled to provide such feedback or advice.

Cheers,

Calum

It's pretty refreshing to see someone taking the criticisms expressed on here seriously. Hats off to you, sir.

Obviously, there were quite a few issues with the original Indie-Cent setup, so it'd good to see you've taken the constructive criticism on board. This new and improved set up sounds grand, there's really nothing negative about having a monthly clubnight for local acts.

Obviously, the proof will be right in the pudding, but let's hope it's a mighty tasty pudding indeed.

you would have moaned if he hadnt made changes and now you are moaning about him making changes by using feedback he has received from other users. the poor man cant win.

Who said I was moaning? Merely stating what I see in front of me. Hope all works out and that there is an extended guest list for all those that submitted fine ideas. :)

WHAT!!!

I CANT BELIEVE THE NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED! I MEAN HOW ON EARTH DO YOU EXPECT INDIE BANDS TO ABLE TO GET A NAME FOR THEMSELVES IF THERES NOT A NIGHT FOR THEM! UNBELIEVABLE!

i mean The Lemon Tree is THE only venue for bands in town AND ex Indie-exposure is the ONLY night bands can play!

i cant believe it were all doomed, music in Aberdeen is lost FOREVER!!!

Ouch.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this - but it seems to me that the 'programmer' (I use that term loosely...) at the Lemon Tree is using this to judge how many people a band will pull - the comments about bands like the Little Kicks not needing to play the clubnight somewhat reaffirms this. Any band with half a brain that wants these support slots badly would be bound to bring a large crowd along, and so the Lemon Tree wins (in the short term). But of course, a lot of the bands who might fit will then be ignored, because they're not on the pub rock radar.

It's sad to say, but I agree entirely with the comments made about the Lemon Tree's problems - doing things like this will do absolutely nothing for the place, and can only harm the reputation. Given that it's public money at stake here, shouldn't the place be giving support slots (if possible) to the bands that actually deserve it locally, rather than those that brought 100 mates along to some club night?

Out of interest, how much knowledge does the new programmer actually have about Aberdeen these days?

Ouch.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this - but it seems to me that the 'programmer' (I use that term loosely...) at the Lemon Tree is using this to judge how many people a band will pull - the comments about bands like the Little Kicks not needing to play the clubnight somewhat reaffirms this. Any band with half a brain that wants these support slots badly would be bound to bring a large crowd along, and so the Lemon Tree wins (in the short term). But of course, a lot of the bands who might fit will then be ignored, because they're not on the pub rock radar.

It's sad to say, but I agree entirely with the comments made about the Lemon Tree's problems - doing things like this will do absolutely nothing for the place, and can only harm the reputation. Given that it's public money at stake here, shouldn't the place be giving support slots (if possible) to the bands that actually deserve it locally, rather than those that brought 100 mates along to some club night?

Out of interest, how much knowledge does the new programmer actually have about Aberdeen?

Jesus Christ Cloud, a post of yours that hasn't made me want to digest razor blades! Good one!

Ouch.

Out of interest, how much knowledge does the new programmer actually have about Aberdeen these days?

im afraid i have to disagree entirely about it doing nothing for the place, i think if these types of nights DO get people along then thats great for everyone concerned. money to keep the lemon tree open, crowds for bands that are starting up, and live music, late music and booze = a good night for all!

at the end of the day established bands are still gonna include the lemon tree when touring because it IS the LEMON TREE and its a great venue!

i think it needs to be given a chance and (if) it doesnt take off then fair enough, but why slate it before it even gets a chance, totally baffles me!!!

Fair doos to the people involved for actually listening to the comments on here. If the Lemon Tree is willing to take on suggestions from musicians and fans in the city, then that at least seems like there may be some promise for it. The potential is there for something good to come out of this, but a purely money-driven set up isn't going to benefit the scene at all.

Ouch.

I don't really know what you're trying to say here. The boy has revised his initial, admitedly flawed plans, and he's saying you don't need to play the clubnight to get on this database.

Of course bands that deserve it should get support slots, but there needs to be a happy medium. Personally, I think bands should be able to get a decent following along; isn't that half the point in having local support acts? The Lemon Tree failed spectacularly to make money last time round, so the ability to pull a crowd is surely something that should figure in the programmer's mind whilst selecting local acts for these slots?

Have you even read this thread? How can having a clubnight for local nights harm the venues reputation? You've obviously just read some other user's initial reservations and jumped on the bandwagon in a bid to gain brownie points. Get a clue.

I don't really know what you're trying to say here. The boy has revised his initial, admitedly flawed plans, and he's saying you don't need to play the clubnight to get on this database.

Of course not. It would be entirely foolish not to do at least some basic homework to add popular local bands to the list - but will they really bother to add the more...I struggle for words, but the more obscure, yet just as deserving bands?

Of course bands that deserve it should get support slots, but there needs to be a happy medium. Personally, I think bands should be able to get a decent following along; isn't that half the point in having local support acts? The Lemon Tree failed spectacularly to make money last time round, so the ability to pull a crowd is surely something that should figure in the programmer's mind whilst selecting local acts for these slots?

There's the issue of public money at stake that you're forgetting. To me, that means a public service remit - and so they should be programming decent music, not just what pulls in the punters. Considering the amount of money given throughout the years (and which is no doubt still being given in a different guise) - is it too much to expect that they should be able to put on successful nights without needing the bands?

They are somewhat uniquely in a position to take risks - so they should take them, rather than putting on whatever the bland masses want.

Have you even read this thread? How can having a clubnight for local nights harm the venues reputation? You've obviously just read some other user's initial reservations and jumped on the bandwagon in a bid to gain brownie points. Get a clue.

Jumped on what bandwagon? I don't agree with the people expressing reservations on this thread at the best of times, so why would I be trying to get brownie points off them?

As for how it can harm its reputation - quite simply, if they move towards a system of 'the most deserving are those with the most fans', then they'll alienate quite a lot of bands that don't have a huge bunch of mates to bring along. In fact, it may just end up attracting Stranded type bands, which will do absolutely nothing for the venue's reputation.