aberdeen-music

Lemon Tree Support Slots / Indie-Cent Exposure Clubnights

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

MySpace.com - Indie-Cent Exposure - UK - Indie / Rock / Alternative - www.myspace.com/indiecentexposureclub

Indie-Cent Exposure is the latest exciting clubnight to be added to the Aberdeen music scene, which just gets better and better!!

Indie-Cent Exposure gives your band the chance to shine at Aberdeen 's prestigious Lemon Tree.

Get in touch to find out where to send CDs or click here to send us your mp3 tracks.

The best bands will be selected to feature at one of our upcoming monthly clubnights.

The best bands from the clubnights will be ADDED TO THE LEMON TREE'S DATABASE OF BANDS WHO ARE PUT FORWARD AS SUPPORT ACTS FOR TOURING ACTS APPEARING AT THE LEMON TREE.

Next Indie-Cent Exposure Clubnight:

Friday 6th February

Lady Mercedes

MySpace.com - Lady Mercedes - Aberdeen/London, UK - Rock / R&B / Blues - www.myspace.com/ladymercedesuk

Rescue Party

MySpace.com - RescueParty - Aberdeen, UK - Indie / Alternative / Pop - www.myspace.com/rescuepartyonline

Fivefifteen

MySpace.com - fivefifteen - Aberdeen, Scotland - Indie / Rock / Alternative - www.myspace.com/fivefifteen

Velvet Audio

MySpace.com - Velvet Audio - Aberdeen, UK - Rock / Alternative / Indie - www.myspace.com/velvetaudioband

All bands featured at Indie-Cent Exposure clubnights will receive feedback on their music and their live performances from experienced musicians, to help them reach the next level.

Indie-Cent Exposure and the Lemon Tree are dedicated to helping local bands reach and surpass their capabilities, and increase the profile of the Aberdeen Music Scene. :up:

FebruaryPosterSMALL.jpg

who are the experienced musicians and what is the next level?

The experienced musicians will be a combination of the new Music Programmer at Lemon Tree (Derek McArthur) who was heavily involved in the music scene in Glasgow in the 90s and played in and managed various bands, me (I play in The Underkills - yes - there are many bands in Aberdeen with more experienced musicians than me, so my feedback will be more aimed at new, young bands, but I will provide feedback to all bands, which will hopefully help them too), and I aim to get guest musicians in at each clubnight (this is more likely to be from bands who have been on the Aberdeen scene for many a year to begin with at least, and I will endeavour to bring in guest musicians from further afield, but can make no promises).

"The next level" is very subjective, and will depend on each band. It's difficult to put into words, but we aim to provide feedback and advice to all bands to help them improve and reach whatever the next stage is for them. In the first instance, we aim to help the bands secure a support slot for a touring act at the Lemon Tree, which is a great platform for an unsigned act to showcase their music.

Cheers :up:

The idea of playing a gig, and then some guy who lived in Glasgow in the 90s plus some people from local bands coming up afterwards to give feedback on the performance and how to improve, sounds completely fucking horrible. You'd either be inflating someone's ego or making them feel bad about themselves after playing a gig.

The idea of playing a gig, and then some guy who lived in Glasgow in the 90s plus some people from local bands coming up afterwards to give feedback on the performance and how to improve, sounds completely fucking horrible. You'd either be inflating someone's ego or making them feel bad about themselves after playing a gig.

Make of it what you will.

We are there to offer support and practical advice. I play in a band, so I know how certain feedback will be received, and will ensure that all feedback is delievered in a tactful manner. Most of the time, the only feedback you get after a gig is the usual "that was brilliant" from anyone who speaks to you. Sometimes you know yourself it was far from brilliant. The idea is to receive honest feedback and practical tips - like I said previously, this will be more aimed at the new, young bands. And it won't be like there will be a panel of judges firing feedback at you. We will do it in a formal way and provide the feedback in writing (probably in an e-mail) with contact phone numbers, if the bands want to have a chat about any of it.

This is a small part of the clubnight. The main part of this is to give bands stage time at the Lemon Tree, and help them gain support slots when touring acts come to the Lemon Tree.

If local bands want to gain support slots at the Lemon Tree, this is the route they now need to take - we think this is the best idea, rather than the music programmer being bombarded with emails whenever a touring act is announced.

The idea is that we compile a list/database of acts, and keep up to date information on file on each of the bands - i.e. up to date tracks, which can be easily forwarded to touring acts/promoters when recommending bands for support slots, and general information, such as contact details etc.

Again - if any bands are interested in playing at the clubnight and therefore being considered for support slots at the Lemon Tree, please get in touch.

If local bands want to gain support slots at the Lemon Tree, this is the route they now need to take - we think this is the best idea, rather than the music programmer being bombarded with emails whenever a touring act is announced.

Are you saying that this is the only way a local band can now get a support slot at the Lemon Tree? If so, lame-o.

i agree that it's a bit rubbish if this is the only way to get support slots at the lemon tree for north-east based bands. might i suggest going out and finding the good bands instead of waiting for them to come begging for a gig at the lemon tree.

i think the feedback thing is ok though so long as it's handled correctly and it's aimed at young, inexperienced bands who could use advice on things like stage setup, soundchecks and the like. i don't think you should give feedback on their songwriting or musicianship as that is so subjective and will be skewed by your own personal tastes. if you can help new bands get more professional in how they approach gigs then good but i wouldn't be interested in doing a gig at this clubnight and having folk suggesting we should sound more like the fratellis or something.

Are you saying that this is the only way a local band can now get a support slot at the Lemon Tree? If so, lame-o.

That is correct.

It is a far better situation than previously though. This way, local bands (who may not have got a support slot on the strength of a demo alone) will get the chance to play on a Friday night at the Lemon Tree, at a night we really hope will take off on the local scene, and introduce the bands to many people who may not have seen/heard them otherwise.

On the back of this, if they play well and show they are ready for a support slot, they will be added to the Music Programmer's list of bands to consider for the upcoming support slots.

This will result in more local bands getting support slots because it will be easier for Derek to go through the list he has, as it is up to date, with tracks etc at the ready. He can just drop a quick e-mail to the touring promoter to give the band the nod (not guaranteed everytime obviously).

This clubnight will be 12 more nights per year dedicated to local bands, which wouldn't have been there otherwise. It is the perfect opportunity for the guys at the Lemon Tree to see bands they might not have managed to see.

Guest idol_wild

Surely, as the new music programmer, he should have an indepth knowledge of which local acts would suit each touring support slot anyway?

They could just do what other programmers/bookers do, and y'know, actually do some work and research local bands, go to gigs off their own backs, to find suitable local support for gigs that require them. I thought the Lemon Tree might get better, but if they're asking local bands to enter a competition for local support slots...

Guest idol_wild
They could just do what other programmers/bookers do, and y'know, actually do some work and research local bands, go to gigs off their own backs, to find suitable local support for gigs that require them. I thought the Lemon Tree might get better, but if they're asking local bands to enter a competition for local support slots...

Precisely. That's the point I was alluding to.

The Lemon Tree is making yet another backward step, it seems.

Pity.

i agree that it's a bit rubbish if this is the only way to get support slots at the lemon tree for north-east based bands. might i suggest going out and finding the good bands instead of waiting for them to come begging for a gig at the lemon tree.

i think the feedback thing is ok though so long as it's handled correctly and it's aimed at young, inexperienced bands who could use advice on things like stage setup, soundchecks and the like. i don't think you should give feedback on their songwriting or musicianship as that is so subjective and will be skewed by your own personal tastes. if you can help new bands get more professional in how they approach gigs then good but i wouldn't be interested in doing a gig at this clubnight and having folk suggesting we should sound more like the fratellis or something.

Absolutely 100% agree.

To clarify - the feedback given will not be asking bands to change their songwriting or sounds in anyway. Possible tips may be as simple as practising more to ensure when playing live, everything is very tight and together. Obviously musical taste is very subjective, we realise that. As well as this, we will offer tips to the new, young bands on ways of getting gigs, promoting their music etc. Like I said, this is a minor part of the clubnight.

I can also assure you that I, personally am on the hunt for local bands all the time as well. I am actively seeking out the local bands, and will contact bands directly.

The post on here and on the myspace site is there for bands to contact me as well, and is so everyone knows what is happening with regard to support slots at Lemon Tree. It is not a case of posting the ads and sitting back waiting for demos. It is very much a two way thing.

Also - feedback on ideas etc on the clubnight and ways to promote/get bands etc is all welcome.

Surely, as the new music programmer, he should have an indepth knowledge of which local acts would suit each touring support slot anyway?

As stated in my post, this is not the only way we find local bands. We will be actively seeking out the local bands as well. We can't find every local band and watch every local gig, so we're opening up the opportunity for bands to contact us directly as well.

As stated in my post, this is not the only way we find local bands. We will be actively seeking out the local bands as well. We can't find every local band and watch every local gig, so we're opening up the opportunity for bands to contact us directly as well.

You said playing this clubnight was the only way a local band can get a chance to gain support slots...

Again, I agree with this sentiment entirely, and Derek does already have a really good in depth knowledge of the local scene, which I'm sure is why he got the job.

But, what we are trying to achieve, as I explained above, is a database, which is kept current and up to date at all times. As well as this, the clubnight gives bands the opportunity to play at the Lemon Tree, when they possibly wouldn't have otherwise.

That is correct.

It is a far better situation than previously though. This way, local bands (who may not have got a support slot on the strength of a demo alone) will get the chance to play on a Friday night at the Lemon Tree, at a night we really hope will take off on the local scene, and introduce the bands to many people who may not have seen/heard them otherwise.

On the back of this, if they play well and show they are ready for a support slot, they will be added to the Music Programmer's list of bands to consider for the upcoming support slots.

This will result in more local bands getting support slots because it will be easier for Derek to go through the list he has, as it is up to date, with tracks etc at the ready. He can just drop a quick e-mail to the touring promoter to give the band the nod (not guaranteed everytime obviously).

This clubnight will be 12 more nights per year dedicated to local bands, which wouldn't have been there otherwise. It is the perfect opportunity for the guys at the Lemon Tree to see bands they might not have managed to see.

it's not a better situation for any bands though. it's that whole problem of viewing 'local' bands as being different to any other band. for instance should the little kicks have to apply for a slot at this club night before being considered to support a touring act? this is a band who already have sold out the lemon tree, toured nationally and supported more well known touring acts yet are a 'local' band. who decides when a 'local' act have done enough to not have to audition for a support slot? and if all bands regardless of their history have to audition then i doubt you'll attract the best that aberdeen and the north-east has to offer as the more 'established' acts may quite rightly feel that they don't have anything to prove in that respect.

surely the music programmer and the lemon tree staff should be pro-actively going out and finding bands who are talented and will work well with the bands who are touring not just picking their favourites from a database they've made up from susceptible young bands who are begging for attention.

that is not to say that a showcase clubnight for talented bands isn't to be welcomed but i would urge a rethink on the booking policy for support bands.

Ok, I've answered the question regarding us actively seeking bands as well - we will definitely be doing this.

As for this being a competition - it is 100% not a competition - I despise such competitions. It could be that all four bands on any given showcase are added to the database, and that would be great as it would show just how good the local scene is.

We are not asking bands to enter a competition either. It's not like a battle of the bands where any band can turn up and play regardless. Bands will be asked to play at the upcoming clubnight on the back of what we have seen at local gigs / found on myspace / heard on a demo / etc. We will put bands on that will work well together on each clubnight.

The bands that impress (which as I say, could be all 4) will be added to the support acts database.

Ok - firstly your feedback is appreciated.

I'll try and clear a few things up in this post.

"the only way to get a support slot" - the only way to get a support slot at the Lemon Tree is to be on the database - that is correct. However, the point on bands such as the Little Kicks (for example) who are established on the music scene will not have to "audition" to get on the database.

I should have been clearer in that respect. Yes, a lot of bands will have to come through the clubnight first. But, bands such as the Little Kicks will of course be considered for support slots without playing at a clubnight. However, it would be hugely disappointing if established bands like the Little Kicks don't ever play at a clubnight. The idea is to get all the best local bands, not just the up and coming ones in and playing at the Lemon Tree.

Of course, a band like the Little Kicks doesn't need a gig like this - they are quite capable of organising and promoting their own show at the Lemon Tree (or any other venue in Aberdeen and beyond), but we would appreciate their support and want all the established bands to play at some point too.

It is quite difficult to get across on here exactly what I'm trying to say. Basically, bands wanting a support slot will need to be on the database, but obviously there are bands out there who will already be at a stage where they will be considered for support slots, and will be at the stage where they are being approached to play at the clubnights.

For example, the first clubnight had Eskimo Blonde headlining - that's a band that have done a lot on the local scene and much further afield. Bands like Lady Mercedes, Rescue Party and Fivefifteen have all been on the scene for years, and are all on for first monthly clubnight in February. If a touring act was to be playing before that gig went ahead but it was perfect for Fivefifteen to play, we'd be putting Fivefifteen forward to support them.

It's not a case of, "sorry, you've not played the clubnight, you're not getting the support slot".

Come time, we hope that will be the case, in the sense that all the established local bands will have played the clubnight at some point, and we will keep adding to the database when a new band comes on the scene that impresses. At the moment, we obviously don't have a database as such, and that's what we're trying to build up - but there are clearly plenty of bands that we are well aware of that are capable of stepping up and supporting a touring act at the Lemon Tree.

To clear up another point from above regarding local acts being less favoured than other bands. Support slots are generally never decided by the Lemon Tree. Steven Milne posted a similar thread on this a while back regarding support slots at Moshulu. What happens (as most folk will know) is that the touring band will take a touring act with them, and sometimes that's the end of the story - there's no room for the local acts. We will put a local act forward to each touring act (if there is a suitable local act) to be approved for a support slot. Obviously it's better for the local bands if the touring act doesn't take a touring support with them (which doesn't happen very often), as there will be a slot up for grabs. At the end of the day though, we can only suggest the local support act to the touring act (or more appropriately the booking agent/manager/etc) and hope they agree to that local act getting the support slot.

In response to offramp's comment - I don't actually know the answer. This was obviously set up as an Indie-Rock night before the whole support slot issue arose, and before the new programmer was in place. I will need to discuss this with Derek. Obviously an experimental electronic act or a metal band (or .......) won't be suited to an Indie/Rock night, so there will need to be other ways explored for this.

We are still just at the beginning of this, and different ideas are still being mooted. It could be that the name of the night is changed or the Indie-Cent Exposure night doesn't happen quite every month, and we have a different genre on different months. Or other genres may be treated in an entirely different way. Like I say, I will need to speak to Derek about that one.

Any other comments/suggestions, please feel free.

Guest idol_wild

So many flaws.

The Lemon Tree has so much genuine potential.

There are so many different spectrums of local musicians and given that there seems to be a distinct lack of knowledge of this surrounding the Lemon Tree representatives, co-ordinators, and affiliates, I can't help but feel the only path it's going to take is the horrible "indie-rock" (aka pub rock/britpop fuelled lad-rock) path. Already that is completely evident.

I don't feel the programmer/in-house booker of a venue like the Lemon Tree ought to need a database of local musicians. They should already know who is currently active and what sort of club night/support slot they are suited to.

So many flaws.

There are so many different spectrums of local musicians and given that there seems to be a distinct lack of knowledge of this surrounding the Lemon Tree representatives, co-ordinators, and affiliates, I can't help but feel the only path it's going to take is the horrible "indie-rock" (aka pub rock/britpop fuelled lad-rock) path. Already that is completely evident.

I don't feel the programmer/in-house booker of a venue like the Lemon Tree ought to need a database of local musicians. They should already know who is currently active and what sort of club night/support slot they are suited to.

I assure you that we will address the issue surrounding the different genres. Like I said above, this was set up initially as a quarterly Indie/Rock night by me and Andy Shearer (the ex-programmer), without any thoughts on it being part of this support slot database etc. I think the problem here is with the name, which we will probably change, to ensure we can accommodate all genres under the one clubnight.

As for the programmer knowing the local scene well enough without a database. I am trying to get the point across that Derek does know the scene, but it is just much much easier from a practical point of view to have a list ready and waiting, with, for example, a couple of mp3 tracks and a bio handy, that he can just drop a quick e-mail across to whoever the touring promoter is. This enhances the chances of a support slot greatly.

Just take a second to think about it. We'll stick with the Little Kicks as an example. A band is booked for the Lemon Tree that Derek thinks the Little Kicks will suit perfectly. We don't have the database set up, and Derek phones the guy up and says there's this band the Little Kicks in Aberdeen, they're really well established here, they've played T in the Park, they've been on the scene for years etc etc. The guy says, okay, fire over something for me to listen to and I'll check them out. Oh, they're on myspace, this is the address etc. Now the guy might check them out, but he might not be at his pc at that time for whatever reason, and he might just forget, who knows. But if Derek e-mails the guy with tracks attached, a bio of the band, and their myspace link. Chances are first thing he'll do is open the track and have a listen the minute he opens the e-mail -giving the Little Kicks a much better chance of getting that gig.

That's the argument for the established acts. For less established acts, it's much the same, Derek will know most of the acts - but he can't know every single one, especially new bands on the scene.

Ideally, the clubnights will have at least one established act, and then a couple of lesser known acts get given the chance to play with the established acts at the Lemon Tree, and the chance to play in front of a bigger crowd, and get better known, and ultimately get the chance of support slots they otherwise wouldn't have got.

Believe me, the very last thing we want to do is to stifle or limit any of the local bands' opportunities.

I am all for people going out, doing things and trying their best but this one sounds like a case of the blind leading the blind

good luck with it and I hope it goes well, as a band it's the kind of thing that I would stay a mile away from. After I finish playing a gig I like to pack my stuff up, sell merch and thank fowk new and known for coming along. When I say thanks to the promoter/person putting on the gig; the last thing I want is to be patronised by some goon messiah wannabe who has just started to put on gigs and his band have played about 10 gigs in Aberdeen and Fort William.

Anyone remember IdENtitY?

I am all for people going out, doing things and trying their best but this one sounds like a case of the blind leading the blind

good luck with it and I hope it goes well, as a band it's the kind of thing that I would stay a mile away from. After I finish playing a gig I like to pack my stuff up, sell merch and thank fowk new and known for coming along. When I say thanks to the promoter/person putting on the gig; the last thing I want is to be patronised by some goon messiah wannabe who has just started to put on gigs and his band have played about 10 gigs in Aberdeen and Fort William.

Anyone remember IdENtitY?

Cheers for your comment. If you read my explanations, you will realise this is not the case at all.

For this to work, we need the bands behind it as well.

So many flaws.

Pretty much spot on there Phil...