aberdeen-music

Can't anyone take a joke anymore?

Afro Droid

Until this became headline news I'm sure there were only 2 complaints made against the broadcast. Now there are thousands. Yes, it was hardly the most tasteful of pranks to pull, but it's not that big a deal. It's been the main piece of news in Radio 1's bulletins both today and yesterday.

I guarantee Brand has gained more listeners from all this.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I don't know what's more depressing, the fact that so many people have so fucking little going on in their lives to actually complain about this, or the fact it was the headline item on the news. Fuck's sake.

Also, in today's tabs, the bint in question is giving it the old "Yes, I did sleep with him but he betrayed me" line. Err, it's Russell Brand, you stupid bastard bitch. What the fuck did you expect? An engagement ring and meet the parents? It's no different to some pole-dancer going to the press about riding a footballer so I don't see why a guy doing a fuck-and-tell is causing such a shit-storm. Turnabout is fair play.

Extremely not :up:, well, I guess it was :up: if you're Russell Brand...

Guest treader.
Until this became headline news I'm sure there were only 2 complaints made against the broadcast. Now there are thousands. Yes, it was hardly the most tasteful of pranks to pull, but it's not that big a deal. It's been the main piece of news in Radio 1's bulletins both today and yesterday.

I guarantee Brand has gained more listeners from all this.

There were over 1500 complaints within the first hour after they were aired.

Since it was broadcast on the news and stuff, the complaints have now totalled over 10,000.

I don't think people are really that easily offended. It seems more of a case of people wanting to appear politically correct and proper by complaining. The only person who was probably offended was the victim, who I can only imagine was more miffed than anything.

Still, I hate Russell Brand more than most people but I always had a fair wedge of respect for Jonathan Ross. I always thought he was a bit better than that. I don't think what he did was dispicable or devastating. Far from it. It was just a very poor playground attempt to rattle a few cages, which has made him appear child-like and a tad pathetic.

Shame that. I used to quite like him.

There were over 1500 complaints within the first hour after they were aired.

Since it was broadcast on the news and stuff, the complaints have now totalled over 10,000.

The BBC claim otherwise:

Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross could face prosecution after obscene on air phone calls to Fawlty Towers actor, 78 | Mail Online

A BBC spokesman said: Two complaints were received regarding Russell Brands show on October 18. But he would not reveal their content, saying that they were for internal use.

I very much doubt that they'll get sacked. Let us not forget that the content was approved prior to broadcast which basically gets the two of them off the hook.

I'm sure Jonathan Ross will still get his 8 million or so viewers come Friday night. Despite the press, both Brand and Ross are incredibly popular and will continue to pull a huge amount of viewers/listeners. End of.

Oh dear: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Brand and Ross: BBC statement

They are both suspended now and I think sackings are now probably forthcoming. Talk about a storm in a teacup...