aberdeen-music

FunkNights

FatHand

Just a note to say that our funk band is within a few weeks of being ready to gig and I was thinking of just starting a funk/soul night. Say 3 funk/soul orientated bands and a DJ to fill the gaps and finish off the night.

The only other out and out funk band in Aberdeen that I am aware of is Zony Mash, I will ask them if they would like to join us for the first night we put on (they already do a night now and again).

Are there any other bands, musicians, DJs, computer generated funksters out there that feel they would like to get in on a night like this? If so, please let me know. I noticed there have been a few folks trying to get bands started along these lines in past threads ... have you had any success getting going? I heard some sort of cover band in Musical Vision recently too, they were playing sir duke and some other such tunes. You guys gigging or ready to gig yet?

Colin

there is a funk band called Klunk,i think it's the bassplayer from Zony Mash.:up:

Cheers for that, I know him so will give him a buzz.

Any more folks fancy this or know of anyone who would like to get involved? I'm going to start organising it this week so would be good to have some like styled bands to play with. Obviously the most important thing to us is to play so we'll be playing any gig.

Dude, I've sen you a message about this. Sounds interesting!:up:

Noted and replied to. Your band sounds cool, just what I was looking for! I'll set up a myspace this week for our band. We're still in a small debate as to what it should be but I'm pretty keen on Super Six Funk Machine.

Anyone else interested? Perhaps a DJ interested in introducing us all to some rarities they have in their collection?

I may try and get an out of town band up called O.P.E.N.

Looks like the bands will be on the larger side so probably be venues like Drummonds and Tunnels. I think we'd probably fit on the stage at Snafu but depends if they have a suitable night on the go.

Thanks for the response so far, this seems like it'll be a slow burning thread.

Guest Giles Walker

I would love to find out what other djs actually play funk right now, especially since the northern soul lot have now started playing funk songs as well as disco.

Sixty pounds for a copy of Dee Edwards - Why Can't There Be Love anyone?

Ninety pounds for Rare Pleasure - Let Me Down Easy

I rip all my 7" records to wav and play them via serato and i think that is the standard now for most collectors who can actually dj. It also means you can get hold of a lot of stuff on cd and do the same though so it creates a bit more of a level playing field.

The idea of any djs introducing you to rarities in their collections is long gone in my opinion.

Hope your night goes well though Col, i'm contemplating doing something similar but it will be very low key.

Cheers Giles.

Really just want to set up a night with like minded bands rather than sticking it in with a metal band or something equally inappropriate. You are as well just setting it up yourself to get what you want really.

If you're free when we manage to get it sorted you should come along. Let me know about your low key thing as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got this sorted. We'll see how this one goes and then start looking for bands further afield.

aberdeen-music - Tis the season to be funky @ Tunnels 2

It's basically a night of live funk, electro and hip hop. Hopefully this caters for all of you looking for that alternative night. It will be followed up when the live music is finished with a DJ (yet to be confirmed) continuing the feel of the night.

Looking forward to this.

Cheers man! Really looking forward to it.

DJ confirmed is Reknology.

I'm going to be doing a No Soucis set with Hugo for anybody who remembers that or even liked it. I'm assuming Stripey won't be down ha ha. It's going to be all new stuff including the new track on our myspace page.MySpace.com - No Soucis - Aberdeen / Lyon, UK - Hip Hop / Experimental / Freestyle - www.myspace.com/nosoucis Keeping it simple with MPC, Keyboards, bass and vocals. Kuda will be guest on at least one of the songs.

The more that come down to watch the merrier. Hope you can make it down!

Looks set to be a fantastic evening.

See you there Colin.

Nice one Diarmaid!

Here's hoping we hear some classic Headhunters tracks :)

Cheers, just inspired my afternoon work listening!

Might try and get some of this kind of feel into some of the No Soucis tracks I've yet to write! Fun weekend of writing ahead! Might sample my sax through kaoss pad....