aberdeen-music

Wanted: Pair of Epiphone Humbuckers or similiar

clayman

Sorry to be an arse, but may I ask why Epiphone humbuckers?

Epiphone make decent standard guitars but their electrics are far and away the worst thing about them, and that probably applies for the lions share of guitars under about 500. The Gibson equivelants are pretty much cheap as hell. Failing that, Dimarzio's and Seymour Duncans go for pocket change on t'ebay.

Thanks for the replies.

Blingking; Do you have surrounds for them? Not really a problem if you dont. What price are you looking for?

GraemeC; Looking to spend about 10 - 25 as thats how much they seem to go for elsewhere (ebay).

Original Spies; Just looking to replace a pair of epiphone humbuckers that the previous owner painted white, white doesnt really go with the guitar.

I should have added that i'd like black or chrome pickups. Cheers!

Thanks for the replies.

Blingking; Do you have surrounds for them? Not really a problem if you dont. What price are you looking for?

GraemeC; Looking to spend about 10 - 25 as thats how much they seem to go for elsewhere (ebay).

Original Spies; Just looking to replace a pair of epiphone humbuckers that the previous owner painted white, white doesnt really go with the guitar.

Oh well, mine are gold....

The gold covers could easily be taken off though, couldn't they?

I dont know, do you think they could? Would that just leave them looking like regular pickups? Maybe i could just get some covers for the ones i have. I've seen covers on ebay but i dont know if they affect sound or not?

I always thought they could be taken off. I thought they just slid right off. The pole piece screws would be gold aswell, but I'm sure they can also be replaced.

But, you'd probably be worth just getting the ones you need rather than spending money modifying what is already a cheap pickup.

Thanks for the replies.

No I don't have surrounds but..................why don't you just take off the painted covers and either clean them up, or leave the pickup bobbins uncovered. They will be black anyway.

You will need to loosing the 4 screws (keep them safe) holding on the surronds (if you still have them) and then loosing the two height adjusting screws (keep them safe) until they come out all the way. then gently lift out the pick up. you should now have a white pickup in you mitt. Slowly unscrew the 6 small screws on to of the pickup (keep them safe). this holds the cover to the pickup. Once they are all out you should be able to seperate the cover from the pickup. you should clean the 6 small screws and put them back in the hole they come out of. place the pickup back in the hole, and replace the surrounds. you then put the 2 long screws back through the holes and adjust the pick up height. remember do not over tighten any of these screws incase you break something. A tip is to have the 6 pickup screws sitting at 45deg from the strings. Of course you have to start with all the 6 screws fully, or near fully screwed into the pick up . E one way, then B the next way (90degs to the E screw) Start by having the two E strings should be the lowest screws, then working a half turn out each time for the A and B string, and then again, another half turn for the D and G strings. this will give you a pick up screw height which somewhat follows the curve radis of your guitar neck. .Cool or what?

Now bear in mind I'm saynig this from memory so it might be a little off, and I might not have explained myself well but for the screw height thing just make sure the two E strings a as close to fully in. then adjust the B and A strings to the same height as the E's. then unscrew the A & B screws by half a turn. Now set the D & G screw to the same height as the A & B screws, then unscrew them half a turn. the D&G screws shoud be one full turn up from both the E screws, and half a turn up from the B&A screws. Like steps up and down.