aberdeen-music

Black Atom to split

Joe Atom

That was an amazing gig for the atom on Saturday!

Ace live show: good to see Joe abusing the wirelessness of his mic (reminded me of him getting locked outside Drakes for 3 songs back-in-the-day), and the generally huge sound of 3 guitars, bass, drums & metal vocals. The individual sound of each instrument was brutal and the mix out front was very good; I hope it was recorded / getting released as a live mix!!

Awesome, cheers man, really glad to hear that!!! From onstage it sounded pretty grim, just really hard to balance all that noise through the monitors I guess. Joe did record it live via his minidisk and it actually sounds pretty sweet, if we can master it up and make it a bit meatier then I don't see why it might not see the light of day. Although, with a bit of luck, the Drummonds gig this Sunday might be recorded too and all being well it should be a huge set. Also, we'll be taking our ENTIRE rig down, including Len's full drumkitand acoustics for the quiet bits, so it should (fingers crossed) sound epic :D

How long will we have to wait for a reunion show... ?

haha, let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're not gone yet :) I can't see it happening anytime soon though tbh. I can't begin to think how hard it'll be to get all those songs back to strength after a long layoff, we barely manage week to week ;) It would be a shame to come back at some point and piss on the remains of all those beastin' tunes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic news. I wasn't going to be through until Monday this week but I think the schedule needs a rejig. The first time I saw you guys was when I was in first year at uni, supporting Breed 77 at Moshulu. I'm well up for catching this gig.

Ah no way, that was a good gig :D

Cheers dude, we'll see you on Sunday, come up and say hi when we're done and we'll have a pint. :up:

haha, let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're not gone yet :) I can't see it happening anytime soon though tbh. I can't begin to think how hard it'll be to get all those songs back to strength after a long layoff, we barely manage week to week ;) It would be a shame to come back at some point and piss on the remains of all those beastin' tunes.

August = Immortal Wombat month!

I'm definitely more emotional about the disbanding of Black Atom than I have been about any other band, past - and most likely - future. While I have no way to do the maths, I would not be surprised if I have been to more Black Atom gigs than I have non Black Atom gigs, which is kinda fucking crazy. Around the time that Out of Exile was released, I went a good 18-24 months without missing a single gig, and at that point, there were a lot of gigs. Not once have I ever walked away from an Atom show feeling disappointed. The likes of the Out of Exile launch at Kef rank among the best gigs I have ever been to, and I have seen plenty of bands that are known for their incredible live shows.

I still listen to The Tie That Binds and Out of Exile (Like Disco - not so much..) fairly frequently (OK - very frequently since I heard the news), and while the production on them is not as clean as most 'major' releases, there is nothing else that separates either from the work I own and love by bigger, world-renowned bands. The Tie That Binds is PACKED with parts in each song that grab you and make you think fuck yeah. I was going to list examples of such parts, however when I started taking notes while listening to each song, I more or less ended up writing down details of every part. It is an album for you all to be very, very proud of.

Music has always been very important to me, and Black Atom has been very important to me.

I'd like to thank each one of you for what you have given over the years. It really has meant a lot. Keep your balls deep, gentlemen.

It's been a privilege.

I know i haven't been on here in aaggeess and unfortunately haven't been to any Black Atom gigs in a few years either but I remember when it was like a religious thing, every gig that you guys played I had to be at. The Breed 77 gig was amazing as I was getting really into them at the time. And the fantastic welcome that you guys received in good ol' Portlethen, what a shame! your music has influenced so many people in Aberdeen, you wont be soon forgotten. You guys have done really well for yourselves and I dont think i'll be able to make the gig tonight but good luck and all the best to all you guys in the future xxx

I went and it was awesome. I didn't brutalise my body as much as I did back in the day, but it made me remember how ace it used to be going to see Atom and meeting folk from these forums and stuff. Set was quite excellent, both musically and comically, I genuinely forgot what a good band they are and they will definitely be missed. BRAVO