aberdeen-music

A little friendly advice if you please

Guest calumunderkills

Cheers. I thought this sort of unsolicited e-mail would be too good to be true, but couldn't quite work out how they'd benefit unless they were going to try and get us signed (and rip us off like you've suggested) - but that would mean they thought were good enough to get signed, which was still encouraging. I'm a trainee lawyer, so I would pick through any offer very carefully before signing up to anything. :up:

you are a trainee lawyer??? Are you kidding me??? I work closely with lawyers on a daily basis and from your frequent posting and general wallyness you really don't seem to have that "smart cookie" image at all. The fact that you didn't spot this as a scam exemplifies this.

Good luck with the career though.

p.s. stop bleating on about saving the Aberdeen Music scene, if you spent as much time on doing things proactively/on the ground as you do posting pish and annoying people on here you might actually make a difference. You are preaching to a bunch of people who have been involved in scenes for more than a few minutes. Keep trying but less preaching please.

how did scouting for girls get signed then? in mine, and a lot people's opinions they are complete nonsense, yet whenever i turn on the radio all i hear is that boy banging on about how some bird is 'lovely'. great stuff.

so surely there is some sort of interest for labels in music that a lot of people think is twaddle? maybe i'm wrong and they gigged intensely for three years and worked their way up to a big label, i just don't see it. heaps of these 'the ....' bands seem to appear out of nowhere.

you are a trainee lawyer??? Are you kidding me??? I work closely with lawyers on a daily basis and from your frequent posting and general wallyness you really don't seem to have that "smart cookie" image at all. The fact that you didn't spot this as a scam exemplifies this.

Good luck with the career though.

p.s. stop bleating on about saving the Aberdeen Music scene, if you spent as much time on doing things proactively/on the ground as you do posting pish and annoying people on here you might actually make a difference. You are preaching to a bunch of people who have been involved in scenes for more than a few minutes. Keep trying but less preaching please.

has calumunderkills slept with his sister or something?

The thing that makes me suspicious is that he hasn't mentioned your band or any of your songs by name, which makes it look like a stock cut n paste email. He's probably sending hundreds of copies of exactly the same message every day.

As for the Underkills, well I haven't actually listened to you yet. I'm going to go do that today, see what all this fuss is about....

Guest calumunderkills
The thing that makes me suspicious is that he hasn't mentioned your band or any of your songs by name, which makes it look like a stock cut n paste email. He's probably sending hundreds of copies of exactly the same message every day.

As for the Underkills, well I haven't actually listened to you yet. I'm going to go do that today, see what all this fuss is about....

Well, they did mention one of our songs by name, but it could very easily still be a quick copy'n'paste job! :up:

I wouldn't bother listening to the Underkills - they're utter shite :up:

yes i wouldn't bother with this, i know how you feel though, you want to believe it...but you kind of know there's something fishy about it. you'd really be looking for an A&R person to contact you for it to be legit. David O'Hagan from Mercury records got in touch with us saying he liked our tunes and stuff, and we got a pretty nifty gig in Edinburgh out of the affair, but even with that, we're not much better off, and he was genuine in his email, so i think your message is a bit of a long shot.

however you should look David O'Hagan up on myspace, he'd probaly take an interest in you, at the very least you might get a gig out of it!

Guest calumunderkills

The response from Shadow Atlantica...

"

Hi Calum, Basically we work on behalf of major and independent record labels and would love to promote you. Basically what we do is every month we make a compilation CD featuring 10 unsigned artists and send it to 31 major and independent record labels we have strong links with or have previously worked for, Each of the ten unsigned artists featured on the cd will have a portfolio with a bio, pics and full contact details and this is also sent to all 31 record companies along with the CD. Ive discussed this with my colleague and we would love to feature your track. Ok you asked for further details?

All you have to do is send us a copy of your track and is it ok if we use your pics and bio from Myspace for the Portfolio?

if you can send us 20 that will cover the postage to all 31 labels and printing costs, we will pay the rest for you. I Will give you our postal address to send it to.

Once we receive your post we will begin work on your portfolio, We are sending the finished compilation off to our clients on Monday next week so if you could send your post to us ASAP that would be great. We will also send you a copy of the finished compilation when all is complete.

Please get back to me to confirm everything is grand then we can put this into motion. Thanks.

David C A&R Shadow Atlantica

"

Hmmmm, they want 20 up front... :down:

Guest calumunderkills
"

Hi Calum, Basically we work on behalf of major and independent record labels and would love to promote you. Basically what we do is every month we make a compilation CD featuring 10 unsigned artists and send it to 31 major and independent record labels we have strong links with or have previously worked for, Each of the ten unsigned artists featured on the cd will have a portfolio with a bio, pics and full contact details and this is also sent to all 31 record companies along with the CD. Ive discussed this with my colleague and we would love to feature your track. Ok you asked for further details?

All you have to do is send us a copy of your track and is it ok if we use your pics and bio from Myspace for the Portfolio?

if you can send us 20 that will cover the postage to all 31 labels and printing costs, we will pay the rest for you. I Will give you our postal address to send it to.

Once we receive your post we will begin work on your portfolio, We are sending the finished compilation off to our clients on Monday next week so if you could send your post to us ASAP that would be great. We will also send you a copy of the finished compilation when all is complete.

Please get back to me to confirm everything is grand then we can put this into motion. Thanks.

David C A&R Shadow Atlantica

"

Hmmmm, they want 20 up front... :down:

Oh - and the quality of pics from myspace is not good enough for promotional material. And we have no 'bio' as such on myspace :down:

Guest calumunderkills
I'm sure everyone round here has had the e-mail from Jimmy Smith at Parlophone, or whatever his name is again.

I think you should pay the 20 quid because once you have done it your band will be hugely famous.

If I give you 20 will you get me a number 1 hit? That is clearly all I want in this life :up:

• 2 months later...