aberdeen-music

A little friendly advice if you please

Guest calumunderkills

Guest calumunderkills

We received this message from Shadow Atlantica Records:

"Hi Guys, I really like your track I will come around, We work on behalf of 31 Major and Independent Music Labels and wed love to make you an Industry Portfolio and submit your music to them, Youd have to pay for your postage but that would be all, Its a big opportunity and we seriously think you guys would be worth putting forward. Please get back to me ASAP. Thanks. David - SA Records."

MySpace.com - Shadow Atlantica Records - London / Newcastle Upon Tyne - Rock / Pop / Other - www.myspace.com/shadowatlanticarecords

Now, on looking at their myspace etc. this looks like a pretty awesome message :up:

I just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this sort of thing, and if it seems cool enough or if we should be wary of such "offers"?

Cheers in advance guys :up:

Guest calumunderkills
It's bullshit.

It's spam. Also I genuinly don't think your band are good enough for any biggish label to seek you out.

Fair enough, but what's the point of their spam? That was my initial thoughts too (not that we're not good enough, but that it was spam), but I don't see what they achieve from spamming our band like that??

Fair enough, but what's the point of their spam? That was my initial thoughts too (not that we're not good enough, but that it was spam), but I don't see what they achieve from spamming our band like that??

I agree, it doesn't seem like there's a down side (they're not asking for upfront), but in these cases there likely will be a catch.

Nefarious C also raises a point. You're not offensively bad or anything, but unless you're jaw dropping or have a million myspace friends, no-one legit is going to search you out to offer you freebies.

Seriously, why the hostility on these forums?

Your shirt says your band will change our lives, even though you're fairly shite (imo).

You claimed to be the best unsigned band in Aberdeen, which you aren't.

You start lame threads and contribute very little to the forums.

That's why, but I'm sure other folk have their reasons

I'd be surprised if you were in the charts next week because of it, but if this is the sort of route you want to take you might as well send them a CD-R or whatever they're asking for, unless funds are so tight that you need to ask people's opinions before posting something.

And yes, you should always be wary of all 'offers,' music or otherwise. Always look for catches, kids. One warning sign about this company is that the message is a little copy-and-pastey, they've probably sent the same message to loads of people.

Guest calumunderkills
Your shirt says your band will change our lives, even though you're fairly shite (imo).

You claimed to be the best unsigned band in Aberdeen, which you aren't.

You start lame threads and contribute very little to the forums.

That's why, but I'm sure other folk have their reasons

That comment wasn't even aimed at you. The shirt is a joke. My mate started running about T in the Park last year shouting The Underkills will change your life, so I stuck it on a t-shirt for his benefit.

I've already said that saying we were the best unsigned band in Aberdeen was a mistake - after only a few months of gigging we got the Dykeenies support slot which I was rather excited about - and I was trying to increase interest in our gig and sell tickets etc.

That was like 18 months ago or something, I've since changed my ways.

Your opinion of our band is your opinion and you can have it all you like, I don't come on here slating other people's bands because saying things like "you're shite" isn't particularly helpful. Constructive criticism is helpful. If you like, you can quite simply ignore any of my posts. But I do know that there are people out there who genuinely like our band. We got the headline slot at the unsigned tent at the Wizard Festival - surely we can't just be "shite" and that's that? Difference of opinion I would say.

I've only started posting a lot on these forums the past couple of weeks (outside advertising gigs), and the majority of folk don't seem to have a problem (or are just ignoring me, which is the right thing to do if you don't like what I'm posting etc), but there seem to be some folk on here that just come on here to slate what anyone has to say.

It just seems a little ridiculous and childish to me :up:

That comment wasn't even aimed at you. The shirt is a joke. My mate started running about T in the Park last year shouting The Underkills will change your life, so I stuck it on a t-shirt for his benefit.

I've already said that saying we were the best unsigned band in Aberdeen was a mistake - after only a few months of gigging we got the Dykeenies support slot which I was rather excited about - and I was trying to increase interest in our gig and sell tickets etc.

That was like 18 months ago or something, I've since changed my ways.

Your opinion of our band is your opinion and you can have it all you like, I don't come on here slating other people's bands because saying things like "you're shite" isn't particularly helpful. Constructive criticism is helpful. If you like, you can quite simply ignore any of my posts. But I do know that there are people out there who genuinely like our band. We got the headline slot at the unsigned tent at the Wizard Festival - surely we can't just be "shite" and that's that? Difference of opinion I would say.

I've only started posting a lot on these forums the past couple of weeks (outside advertising gigs), and the majority of folk don't seem to have a problem (or are just ignoring me, which is the right thing to do if you don't like what I'm posting etc), but there seem to be some folk on here that just come on here to slate what anyone has to say.

It just seems a little ridiculous and childish to me :up:

You asked what the hostility was for.

I gave you an answer. It was an open ended question directed at no one apparent.

And I gave you plenty of constructive criticism on your other lame thread. I'm speaking so bluntly because I'm sick of the absolute crap you post on here on a regular basis. I ignored you until you asked me (the forum) about it:up:

Guest calumunderkills
You asked what the hostility was for.

I gave you an answer. It was an open ended question directed at no one apparent.

And I gave you plenty of constructive criticism on your other lame thread. I'm speaking so bluntly because I'm sick of the absolute crap you post on here on a regular basis. I ignored you until you asked me (the forum) about it:up:

Fair enough. Bitterness oozes from your post, but I still can't quite work out why.

I admit I post some bollocks on here, but I think almost every person that posts on here posts some bollocks too, you especially. It's a forum, and the bollocks that I post is normally just a laugh :up:

Google them. I did and can't find any mention of them before Oct 2008 . Pretty strange for a company who claims to have been around for 12 years. They've only had a myspace since Aug 30th this year. The posts on forums look like the beginnings of a classic internet forum scam (i.e. sceptical guy gets won over by people praising company/product when they are all in fact batting for the same team).

The most damning piece of evidence though is they fact they have blanked out the myspace friends count (104) and replaced it with 8273.

Fair enough. Bitterness oozes from your post, but I still can't quite work out why.

I admit I post some bollocks on here, but I think almost every person that posts on here posts some bollocks too, you especially. It's a forum, and the bollocks that I post is normally just a laugh :up:

No, I generally do not "post bollocks"

And I'm bitter because you asked why, I gave you an answer and you're struggling to cope with it.

Guest calumunderkills
Google them. I did and can't find any mention of them before Oct 2008 . Pretty strange for a company who claims to have been around for 12 years. They've only had a myspace since Aug 30th this year. The posts on forums look like the beginnings of a classic internet forum scam (i.e. sceptical guy gets won over by people praising company/product when they are all in fact batting for the same team).

The most damning piece of evidence though is they fact they have blanked out the myspace friends count (104) and replaced it with 8273.

Cool. I'll tread very very carefully - I've asked them for further info. I can't quite work out what their scam would be, which is the only thing that is bothering me.

Tap up "shite" unsigned bands for their demo CDs and make a compilation CD to do what with exactly. All seems a little weird. If they start asking for cash, then I'll know what's going on... :up:

Cheers for the helpful posts. Appreciated. :up:

Guest calumunderkills
No, I generally do not "post bollocks"

And I'm bitter because you asked why, I gave you an answer and you're struggling to cope with it.

Honestly mate - everyone on here posts some bollocks, including you (I said especially you cos you are pissing me off).

I still sense bitterness - in that a statement about 18 months ago when we were a relatively new band, excited about a great support slot, and a slogan on a home made t-shirt pisses you off so much.

Cool. I'll tread very very carefully - I've asked them for further info. I can't quite work out what their scam would be, which is the only thing that is bothering me.

Tap up "shite" unsigned bands for their demo CDs and make a compilation CD to do what with exactly. All seems a little weird. If they start asking for cash, then I'll know what's going on... :up:

Cheers for the helpful posts. Appreciated. :up:

100 flattered bands stump up so called 'postage and packing charges' of the relatively tiny price of (say) 2.50 = new telly.

Make enquiries if you want, but don't feed it.