aberdeen-music

Most Underrated Bands

kirkt

Wants bands do you feel should get the recognition they truly deserve?

For me, Mansun were such a brilliant band but always slated by the music press.

As for today, My Latest Novel are to me, the best band in Scotland, far superior to the likes of Frightened Rabbit, The Twilight Sad and Glasvegas and their first album was the best thing i heard in 2006 but never really made a dent on the critics lists of that year

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest calumunderkills
Wants bands do you feel should get the recognition they truly deserve?

For me, Mansun were such a brilliant band but always slated by the music press.

As for today, My Latest Novel are to me, the best band in Scotland, far superior to the likes of Frightened Rabbit, The Twilight Sad and Glasvegas and their first album was the best thing i heard in 2006 but never really made a dent on the critics lists of that year

Got to agree on the Mansun point :up:

I went out and bought their Attack of the Grey Lantern recently as I realised I didn't have it in my collection (my brother had the CD, and I think I just pinched his back in the day...). It's a great album!

Another band from roughly the same era that were great but have been somewhat forgotten are the Longpigs - their first album is brilliant! The second one wasn't as good if I remember rightly though :down:

Mansun are/were a brilliant band. 'Six' was their best effort imho.

Agreed. My Life Story were pretty underrated as well and also pretty damn good. I feel also that Soundgarden were largely over-shadowed and ignored due to Nirvana's success despite them being a better band (in my opinion of course).

Regurgitator are criminally ignored outside Australia and parts of Asia as well.

Guest treader.

I'd agree with Karate actually. I also think Hum were under-rated.

On a local level though...The No Pints. I only really thought of this because Kirk started the thread, but they were actually really enjoyable to see play. the songs were awesome as well.

"TARRANT TARRANT TARRANT TARRANT TARRANT TARRANT TARRANT TARRANT...TARRANT OFF TV"

Nowt wrong with their name in my opinion. I think it's quite comical that they sound like they might be a Death/Grind band but are a hip-hop/punk/electro hybrid.

It's quite clever. But I would never listen to a band called Regurgitator on the basis that I'd think they were death/grind/metal/whatever band. Perhaps they should've gone for something more... neutral! Lol.

I think earlier material of a lot of bands is really underrated. What I'm trying to get at is when the music media pounce on new albums and act like there was never anything before it... Trying to create a 'new' band when they're actually an 'old' band. Then making an underrated band overrated. Make sense?!

Guest treader.
It's quite clever. But I would never listen to a band called Regurgitator on the basis that I'd think they were death/grind/metal/whatever band. Perhaps they should've gone for something more... neutral! Lol.

I think earlier material of a lot of bands is really underrated. What I'm trying to get at is when the music media pounce on new albums and act like there was never anything before it... Trying to create a 'new' band when they're actually an 'old' band. Then making an underrated band overrated. Make sense?!

Like when California by Phantom Planet got famous a year or so ago, even though it was released in the 90s.