aberdeen-music

Local Acoustic Acts

Guest calumunderkills

Guest calumunderkills

I've seen/heard a number of really good acoustic acts in Aberdeen over the years.

I think the best I've seen is probably Gerry Jablonski - was absolutely blown away by his set at the Belmont Cinema Cafe a good few years ago :up:

Another favourite of mine is Steven Milne, and I've recently been really impressed with A View from the Top Floor, Panda Eyes and Justin Martin.

I'm going to be putting on monthly acoustic nights starting December, all going well, and just wondered who everyone would recommend getting on the bill?

Any acoustic acts out there, get in touch.

:cheers:

Guest calumunderkills
Ashley Park is the best one I've seen for a while, and the Kitchen Cynics of course.

I've never had the pleasure, but I have heard very good things - in particular the Kitchen Cynics. I'll be sure to check them out!

Cheers :up:

Guest calumunderkills
agree about Gerry Jablonski local legend!

steven milne also (saw him doing an open mic with katie green, was superb!)

really enjoy it when bands who dont and sometimes maybe shouldnt do acoustic give it a go.

Katie Green's got a cracking voice, and writes some really nice pop tunes! I've already asked her about playing at the first one, and she's real keen. :up:

(Nice eye candy too...) :up:

you cant surely doubt his playing ability?

No, the man can obviously play scales with the best of them. But that doesn't mean he's any good.

When I saw him he was murdering some classic songs by throwing in utterly pointless instrumental sections just to show off. It was terrible, none of the parts fitted the songs and were just tedious examples of his technical ability. There was no feeling in what he was doing. It was utter balls.

Throw in the fact that he was drunk and the room was mostly empty and it wasn't exactly a brilliant night of entertainment.

No, the man can obviously play scales with the best of them. But that doesn't mean he's any good.

When I saw him he was murdering some classic songs by throwing in utterly pointless instrumental sections just to show off. It was terrible, none of the parts fitted the songs and were just tedious examples of his technical ability. There was no feeling in what he was doing. It was utter balls.

Throw in the fact that he was drunk and the room was mostly empty and it wasn't exactly a brilliant night of entertainment.

I'm getting fed up of the constant "cheerleading" going on on this site for local acts. Yes, we need to be supportive of local talent, but we can't just put the blinkers on simply because the acts are "local" or possibly mates. If the Aberdeen scene is to be taken seriously we need to be realistic and honest when offering a critique - constructive criticsm can surely only help the artists, kissing their arses in this manner will do nothing to further their career.

Gerry Jablonski doesnt need his career furthered imo, all i was saying is i think he is really good at what he does, not kissing his arse!

and as i said in an earlier post we all have our own opinions, but im not gonna start telling a band that i dislike that i think there music is shocking, all i`ll do is not go and watch/listen to them.

the main problem with this forum is the distinct lack of Constructive Criticsm, most of it says things like your music is shite etc etc that is not being honest thats just being a twat!