aberdeen-music

Anyone Buy 2nd Hand Cds?

Willie2804

all the time.

It's actually ace finding a gem in a second hand shop, and the less "well known" the better.

I'd found God - anatomy of addiction in a bargain bin in a second hand record shop in St Andrews...for 1. (currently 24.99 on amazon.co.uk) Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Anatomy of Addiction

I always love "splashing out" 50p or a quid for "something that looks interesting" (I am a sucker for nice cover art)...I bought the Mugison lp (Niceland) for 50p because of that...and Kim Hiorthy's "Hei" for 50p thanks to his ace design on the cover.

28612.jpg

lovely past time. I got most of my Skinny puppy & Butthole Surfers Vinyl from Ripping Records in Edinbugh...second hand...

It's becoming harder to get good bargains at charity shops because they have all think they are collectors shops and complete experts and now the majority of them are chargin 3-5 for CDs you can pick up on amazon cheaper and ridiculous prices for vinyl just because it is a Beatles/Dylan LP etc, regardless of the fact they are not first or rare pressings. That Oxfam on the Back Wynd is one of the worst criminals of it I think, along with the British Heart Foundation on Union Street (2.99 for free CDs from magazines etc)...

That said, I do persist because it is possible to get a bargain every now and then...I got Pretty Things - S.F Sorrow for 1 along with a Bert Janch album or 1 from Barnados on George Street last year...score!

It's becoming harder to get good bargains at charity shops because they have all think they are collectors shops and complete experts and now the majority of them are chargin 3-5 for CDs you can pick up on amazon cheaper and ridiculous prices for vinyl just because it is a Beatles/Dylan LP etc, regardless of the fact they are not first or rare pressings. That Oxfam on the Back Wynd is one of the worst criminals of it I think, along with the British Heart Foundation on Union Street (2.99 for free CDs from magazines etc)...

That said, I do persist because it is possible to get a bargain every now and then...I got Pretty Things - S.F Sorrow for 1 along with a Bert Janch album or 1 from Barnados on George Street last year...score!

Agreed. The price of Vinyl in that Oxfam bookshop is ludicrous, I spotted some rare stuff in there about a year ago that I fancied but it seemed a little expensive. So I went over to the Cavern and asked the guy in there to look it up on his system and see how much it was worth and how much it would cost to order it in. It worked out a lot cheaper than buying it from Oxfam.

However I did still buy it from Oxfam because I'm impatient.

However I did still buy it from Oxfam because I'm impatient.

And obviously doing your bit for charity at the same time? :up:

One Up's second hand bit can have some lovely finds. I was going to buy Antics by Interpol, but I wasn't allowed to because the person serving me put his mucky paws all over the cd and the owner guy (who's name I don't know) didn't want to sell me 'damaged' goods.

Good customer service I tell ya.

I pick up loads of 2nd hand goodies off Amazon cheap as chips. And One-Up veers between some great bargains and unbelievably over-priced rip offs considering it's 2nd hand. I looked at that Oxfam shop, total rip off was my consensus. Avalanche on Cockburn St in Edinburgh has led to a very heavy bag on the return journey on many an occasion....

Hmm i will have to discuss with the guy who prices the cds, i too agree they can be a bit pricey but its for a good cause.

I didn't actually know that one up did a second hand bit, i might have a look there on saturday.Cheers for all the replies

they are downstairs, if you've never seen them.

they werent 2nd hand, but that 3 sale Fopp on McCombie's Court had before they closed was awesome for some rummaging and great bargains.

I got 3 great CDs in that sale for 1 each. Stuff I'd never heard of but I bought just for the covers:

61ot1X6Jr6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Burning Love Jumpsuit - Please Pull Apart.

The opening track "Cheerleader" combines a Feeder riff with a cheerleader chant from Bring It On. Bizarre, but it works. The rest of the album is a weird mix of dance and metal.

61DM8ZB4GEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Fabulous Disaster - Panty Raid!

Happy cheery pop punk sung by a 4 piece all girl punk band who look likes dykes.

417BFR21BHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Persil - Duotone

Strangely happy electro-pop, like Portishead in a good mood. Or the Concretes with synths.

I remember seeing Persil at the Wild Boar a few years ago (part of Go North!) they were pretty good as I recall.

The best 2nd hand CD bargain's I got was in Baltimore last year when I got a double CD of The Velvet Underground (Gold), Nirvana - In Utero and Give Up The Ghost - Love American for $1 each