aberdeen-music

Nfl

Nev

Broncos put on probably the best defensive performance i've personally ever seen. Absolutely shut Brady down at the source. If they play like that in the Super Bowl, i'd give them the edge. That said, Cam is dual threat which is a totally different ball game.

Should be a fantastic Super Bowl. I don't think many would have put these two teams in it before the start of the season.

Yeah I'd love Peyton to finish with the Superbowl win.  That would also make him 2-2 in the big game, which isn't so bad, everyone is always ragging on him for his postseason record. 

That said Cam is my favourite player not in SF.  It's just fun to watch him and he's having such a great time.

I called the Denver winning with defence!  Pressure Brady, that line is/was not good.

NFL network were shitting on Peyton all week leading up to the Champ game.  Neil Reynolds on the Sky broadcast as well, saying they should start Osweiler as they have a better chance to win.  What a load of shit.  I really don't like Reynolds he doesn't add anything to the sky show, he just regurgitates things that have been said/written all week in the US media.

Spot on about Reynolds - he really does just read bleacher report, nfl.com, SI, etc and then just say exactly what they say
Reinbold adds some great technical detail about the game but Reynolds and Cadle add nothing. I did a commentary gig at a British final once with Reynolds and he was getting all bent out of shape because I was getting excited by the action and talking all over the plays when he wanted to be using the clips on Sky. I don't think he liked me.

Predictions?

I kinda want both teams to win. 

I'm going Broncos 31 - 27 Panthers.

The Broncos D won't be able to stuff the Panthers completely and whatever happens I think they'll score TDs but there will be a couple of crucial stops when it matters. I can also see a defensive or special teams TD happening for either team.

I also think Peyton is gonna be well up for this one and play 'within' himself. i.e. smart. The pressure seems to be a little eased on him this year and I think that works in his favor.

I think the Broncos need to be in the game at half time and then I can see them winning.

If they fall behind they will have to do more on offense than they want to and it'll allow the Panthers to play safe on their offense so less chance of the Denver D scoring.

I agree on Peyton, I cannot understand any pundit that wants/wanted Osweiler to start even a gimped Peyton is a much better option than him.  As long as Peyton doesn't try to be the hero and keeps checking to runs when he knows he has an easy gain.  Osweiler can't do that stuff, he just gives you a better arm which isn't going to be enough to dissect this Panthers D.

Yeah Peyton should go out on top.

I think people really underestimated how good the Broncos secondary was before this game.  That Panthers WR core was over performing all season and when it came down to it they just couldn't get open in time against the Broncos DBs (not helped by Cam having about 2 seconds to throw before Von and Ware got to him).

It was interesting the difference with the Broncos secondary compared to the game against Seattle (both of whom have great DBs) because Cam couldn't just rely on Greg Olson to get open because the Broncos safeties actually play great pass coverage unlike Chancellor in Seattle.

On 26/01/2016 at 9:45 AM, Spoonie said:

He's certainly a strange one to hate!

It's just his smug face and personality that pisses me off. I'm allowed to hate someone irrationally, right? ;) But surely he'll retire, going out on top now makes sense - there's no point returning next year and knowing that defensive coordinators will know that one good hit on him will take him out of the game/season. 

That Denver defence though.

Draft season up next.

You reckon the two Qbs Lynch and Goff go too high?  Who drafts em?

I hope the niners stay clear of QBs and give Kaep another go.  Too much talent to just release when there's a whole new regime he could thrive in.

Dream would be seeing Ramsey slip down to us or Bosa (no way he makes it past 5 unless he has a horrendous combine).

Kaepernick always struck me as hard-working, minimal trouble kind of guy with a great skillset so I don't really get how he's gone off the boil so badly.

Looking forward to the draft - keen to see where Elliot ends up and which of the LB combo of Smith and Ragland goes first. Not completely sold on either Goff or Lynch, especially Lynch's ability to play in the NFL system because of the way he was used at college, but I look forward to seeing what happens to them

10 hours ago, Spoonie said:

Kaepernick always struck me as hard-working, minimal trouble kind of guy with a great skillset so I don't really get how he's gone off the boil so badly.

Looking forward to the draft - keen to see where Elliot ends up and which of the LB combo of Smith and Ragland goes first. Not completely sold on either Goff or Lynch, especially Lynch's ability to play in the NFL system because of the way he was used at college, but I look forward to seeing what happens to them

I think he'd be a good fit for one of the Texas teams to take him as a backup. Would make sense to give him a year to unwind  it have him in reserve in case Romo breaks down or Hoyer stops being adequate. 

More interested to see where Manziel ends up, hopefully at the Jets for the lolz...

the Manziel saga is pretty unbelievable. What a waste.

id still take him at the Jets tbh. The Fitz experiment is bound to crumble in a torn ACL heap at some point. Nothing about Fitz says franchise qb, although he played well this season.

New York market would probably kill manziel though. All that media spotlight and opportunities for misbehaving.  He'd go JR Smith in an instant. 

He should live in westchester with the porzingises (porzingi?) to keep him on the straight and narrow.

I do think Manziel is worth another look. I don't think he should be cast out of the NFL just yet. He's had 2 years experience in a pro squad and still has bags of potential. There are people who can help him with the personal stuff, not too many who can coach his kind of talent though and his type doesn't come along too often.

I dunno - the more I read about/see him the more he seems like an incredibly spoiled/entitled child that's never going to grow up or fulfill his potential.

Anytime I saw him this season he looked way out of his depth and unprepared, what plays he did make seemed more happy accident than design. Of the QBs destined for an early exit I'd much rather see RG3 and Kaep get a 2nd chance. 

I'm not keen on scrambling gunslinging QB types, which colours my opinion of Manziel - I like them steady and calm, Flacco style...

When he was at A&M he was absolutely awesome and I remember thinking I couldn't wait to see him in the NFL because he seemed blessed more than anything with a will and ability to find ways to win. Since being drafted (even after slipping down which is enough to humble a lot of people) he's stumbled from incident to incident and now he looks like someone who they will make a 30 for 30 about in a handful of years time, for throwing away chance after chance and wasting his potential. I think he will move to another team, last a couple of years with similar results to those we've had so far in terms of off-field stuff and then fade into the background and never be heard of again. And probably end up in an early grave.

I think if Dallas aren't going to draft a QB with their 1st rounder this year.  I think they'd be better taking a chance on dodgy knees RG3.  He'd more than likely get to sit behind Romo and learn something this year and if he impresses he has all the talent to take over from Romo.  He's less of a publicity risk than Manziel and probably has more upside as well.

I mean with Romo and Dez coming back and assuming they upgrade in the RB position that's a pretty great offense.  They can afford to use that pick on the future QB or just take a highly rated safe defensive prospect and really go for it now.

Edited by Captain America

• 4 weeks later...

Man, $17 million a year for a guy with 7 starts and an average rating playing with the best defence in the NFL.  I'm not sure about that Houston.  I admire the ambition but it's all a bit Kevin Kolb for me.

Niners doing nothing but re signing our TE and DT.  That's fine with me we need to draft well not make a huge splash in free agency.