aberdeen-music

Snow Patrol

Stichman

Has anyone heard the new Snow Patrol material? Utterly bland, forgettable, piss-up-the-wall songs, brazenly designed to fill stadiums and keep festival crowds waving their hands. Why do bands so often feel the need to replace good music with an attempt grandoise, which usually descends into boring pish?

I used to love Snow Patrol. Their first two albums are really good, particularly When It's All Over We Still Have To Clear Up, which is one of my favourite albums of all time; understated, simple but still experimental, proper "indie" music.

And I haven't just started hated them since they became famous. Final Straw is a tremendous pop album. Certainly it was a fairly big departure from their previous stuff, but good for what it is. Sure it got overplayed and people's mums started buying it in Tesco, but that's what happens with fame. 'Eyes Open', however, was a shite album, full of cynically wide-eyed stadium rock. Repeating a line over and over and over until it becomes memorable does not a good song make.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the upshot of all of this is that when I cite early Snow Patrol as a big influence, people laugh and sing Chasing Cars at me. Gads.

• Upvote 1

anyone mind when they played with therapy? and co.uk in the lemon tree (around 2000 I think) and lightbody was right in about the crowd? he ended up trying to pull my mate

the martha wainright tune was pretty damn good

that was clutch...wasn't it?

or did Therapy? and .co.uk decide to sneak back in for a second go to apologise for thier piss poor gig?

And I haven't just started hated them since they became famous. Final Straw is a tremendous pop album. Certainly it was a fairly big departure from their previous stuff, but good for what it is. Sure it got overplayed and people's mums started buying it in Tesco, but that's what happens with fame. 'Eyes Open', however, was a shite album, full of cynically wide-eyed stadium rock. Repeating a line over and over and over until it becomes memorable does not a good song make.

+1 :up:

I keep getting the "you don't like them now cause they're famous" line levelled at me by mates. Some people don't seem to realise that bands change, and just because you liked them before they altered their sound doesn't mean you have to after. Most irritating thing in the world.

That was Clutch and co.uk. Great gig! Poor finish.

Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.

:up:

I had a good chat with Gary Lightbody at a gig we played in Tuts many years ago, but it all ended on a sour note when I said 'See you around Colin' at the end of the conversation: for some reason I was just drunk enough to think it was Colin Murray :up:

Snow Patrol's recent material really is ding. Only heard the songs they did on Jools Holland and by the looks of things they are trying to replicate Coldplay's STADIUM ROCK EPIC (!?) songs, who in turn ripped off Sigur Ros's right goodepic songs