aberdeen-music

Jehovah's Witnesses

Le Stu

If I recall correctly, Prince was a Jehovah's witness for a while, as was Michael Jackson. This was all before that Kabbalah (sp?) thing was cool though...

Being a Jehovahs witness was never cool, though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest calumunderkills
I can't help but wonder what would happen if this thread was complaining about another religion, like Islam or Judaism...

That's a good point, well made...

To be fair, the Jewish community's mission statement doesn't involve waking people up at stupid o'clock on a Sunday morning to hand out preachy leaflets.

Yes but the Jews have Milchemet Mitzvah and Rodef, which in certain situations can be construed as just a tad worse than waking people up early.

I was just making a point that why is it acceptable to take the piss out of one religion whereas it may not be so acceptable to do so for a larger one?

Yes but the Jews have Milchemet Mitzvah and Rodef, which in certain situations can be construed as just a tad worse than waking people up early.

I was just making a point that why is it acceptable to take the piss out of one religion whereas it may not be so acceptable to do so for a larger one?

Sunday morning dude....

Sunday morning dude....

Mhm. Maybe I can't empathize cos I work early on Sundays? I'd rather sit and listen to a bunch of preachy cunts than lift 40 kg boxes up and down a flight of stairs for 7 hours :down:

Guest calumunderkills
Mhm. Maybe I can't empathize cos I work early on Sundays? I'd rather sit and listen to a bunch of preachy cunts than lift 40 kg boxes up and down a flight of stairs for 7 hours :down:

I actually would prefer doing your job for 7 hours than listen to the preachy cunts

It's worse when they get foxy women to do it. :down:

Damn right. The last time I was unfairly accosted by one of these attractive ladies, I was torn between flirtation and piss-taking. Her opening gambit of "what's the best thing you could spend five pounds on right now?" made it harder to avoid the flirting, but I made it... just.

One of my best mate's other friends is a Jehovah. We rather upset him one night after a few beers by, er, giving an "alternate" view on the events of the last supper. It was a drunken orgy if you believe us... whoops :up:

Isn't it just generations of families that have passed it down and down and down? I've never met anyone who would be converted or even have the time of day for them!

Nope, JW's have amongst the poorest retention levels for people born into the faith of any "religion". They tend to bugger-off at the earliest opportunity & never come back.

I can't help but wonder what would happen if this thread was complaining about another religion, like Islam or Judaism...

There is maybe a bit of a difference between established religions with a diverse theology & traditions vs a control-freak, paternalist cult, that has only been around in its current form for just under a century?

I also don't recall being evangalised by either of your examples whereas the JW's have been somewhat annoying in the past.

Nope, JW's have amongst the poorest retention levels for people born into the faith of any "religion". They tend to bugger-off at the earliest opportunity & never come back.

one of my best friends in school was from a JW family.

He decided to leave his own home at the age of 17 - because his dad was such a twat.

Last thing I heard, he's an alcoholic now...a real shame, as he was a smart cookie back in the day.

The week before I moved out of my parent's home to go the big smoke of Aberdeen, I answered the door to some Jehovah's Witnesses. I told them I was definitely interested and made out to be quite excited, but unfortunately I couldn't speak to them at that time. Cue myself arranging for them to return in a week for a good chat - they harassed my parents for a good month after that. It really is the little things in life that amuse me.

Two of my mates, Wilson and Sam, used to live together on Elmfield Terrace. One day Wilson was upstairs doing something and Sam was downstairs in the living room. There was a knock at the door, and Sam answered it to find Jehovas Witnesses. Enthusiastically he says "Oh aye, come in, I'd love to speak to you!". So they come in and sit down, Sam offers them tea and coffee, goes into the kitchen, puts on the kettle and quietly slips out the back door and goes off into town. 20 minutes later Wilson (who hadn't heard the knock at the door) comes downstairs to find a bunch of strangers sitting in his living room and rather angrily tells them to get to fuck out of his house.

Classic.

Two of my mates, Wilson and Sam, used to live together on Elmfield Terrace. One day Wilson was upstairs doing something and Sam was downstairs in the living room. There was a knock at the door, and Sam answered it to find Jehovas Witnesses. Enthusiastically he says "Oh aye, come in, I'd love to speak to you!". So they come in and sit down, Sam offers them tea and coffee, goes into the kitchen, puts on the kettle and quietly slips out the back door and goes off into town. 20 minutes later Wilson (who hadn't heard the knock at the door) comes downstairs to find a bunch of strangers sitting in his living room and rather angrily tells them to get to fuck out of his house.

Classic.

Sam is a nasty person. But very funny.

Classic.

Nice one. I had the Mormons a few years ago. Fortunately, I had recently watched the South Park episode about Mormons and it is seemingly very accurate as they were amazed when I told them I knew all about Joseph Smith and the golden tablets etc.

I invited them in and was going to put the South Park ep on, but they said they didn't have time as their bus was due and they had only squeezed me in as I lived opposite the bus stop.