aberdeen-music

Jobs in the City Centre?!

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

So, let me explain my situation:

I currently live at home with my folks and work in Dyce in the same wing of the building as my Dad, and I get a lift to work with him every day. Which is handy.

However, in a couple weeks I'm moving out into the city centre, and getting the 7.30am airport bus to Dyce would be a total bugger, not to mention the expenses of getting day tickets/weekly tickets/monthly tickets.

So, I've recently started looking for jobs in the city centre which would obviously be easier for me to travel to. I currently earn 15,000 a year or roughly 8.00 an hour and I'm looking to earn the same or more in order to fund living in town.

So, possibly a long shot but I was wondering if anybody knew of any jobs around this kind of salary that are pretty central (Union Street and surrounding area? Market Street? Castlegate? you get the picture)

Did you used to work for a company in town? Do you know a friend who has an awesome job in the city centre? Can you help me out in any way?

Help would be hugely appreciated.

(Also, before someone makes a snide remark, I've signed on with some agencies and I've been checking the jobcentre website and s1jobs etc regularly)

Thanks in Advance.

Guest treader.

My fancy title is Time Entry Administrator.

Data Input essentially. I put the timesheets for guys offshore into the Payment Software so that they get their monies and can live their live$.

Have you got your CV and details sent to AAA (Aberdeen Appointments Agency) ?

I think 15k is a pretty low salary by Aberdeen standards, even if it is for data entry. So I'd think you'd find something fairly decent (though it might be temp work) in or around the city centre.

Mind you, most of the oil and gas companies are located outwith the city centre if that is the industry you want to stay in. Most of us have to commute though...changing jobs just because you don't want to get up earlier or have to start paying for travelling is a bit stupid IMO.

Guest treader.

i suppose. but it would also be dead handy.

I have spoken to some people at AAA and I'm nipping in tonight to properly register and have a chat with them. You're right that my salary isnt amazing for Aberdeen, and I've only come to realise that fully quite recently (friends in the same jobs getting more at other companies) which is another reason I wouldnt mind transfering jobs for more money. I'd feel a bit like Michael Scott in the american Office if I asked for a payrise or anything.

I just wondered if somewhere like Peterkins (off the top of my head) on Union Street was well paid as it would be like a 2 minute walk from my new flat.

Have you got your CV and details sent to AAA (Aberdeen Appointments Agency) ?

I think 15k is a pretty low salary by Aberdeen standards, even if it is for data entry. So I'd think you'd find something fairly decent (though it might be temp work) in or around the city centre.

Mind you, most of the oil and gas companies are located outwith the city centre if that is the industry you want to stay in. Most of us have to commute though...changing jobs just because you don't want to get up earlier or have to start paying for travelling is a bit stupid IMO.

The last part of that is very true. Dyce is so easy to get to. There's a bus up there every time I breathe in. A monthly pass is 58 which isn't that much really, as it will set you for weekend and evening buses you might be catching too.

15k is better than what you'd get at an agency. Most agencies will set you on 6 or 7 quid an hour. 8 if you're lucky. Some will even have you on minimum wage!

Guest treader.

yeah, i mean, you're right and everything, it's not that i'm lazy about getting up early, i just thought it would be really handy to live AND work in town. i've also just found out there's another office of ours on Poynernook Road which would be dead easy to get to so that's a possibility. We shall see!!

Walking to Altens from the city centre also costs nothing and is quicker than getting a bus up there...

It is, however, an awful walk in the pissing rain or snow or wind. I used to walk from the top of George Street to Greenbank Place in East Tullos at 5am every morning when i was a delivery driver. It was shit in the winter.

Walking up Wellington Road is diesel cancer death at rushhour . I was working there for Royal Mail one Xmas and did it every day for three weeks. And it's awful for pedestrians getting over the Dee bridge with those stupid crossings.

But First do suck... it's a balance between shittiness only tipped by weather.

I'm moving into town in a month or so, have been signed up with AAA, Bryant and Raeburn for a while and would sell both my legs to get a job with one of the bigger companies like the ones in Altens/Dyce/Tullos.

I don't know how you can be so fussy about a wee commute if the company's a good one... but I guess it means more good jobs for the rest of us :D

As has been said, you'd be daft to give up a permanent job with the current state of affairs, for the sake of convenience. A quick fix would be agencies, but temp work is so unreliable and you are absolutely fucked if they decide to end your contract early, which they can.

My job at the Sheriff Court was axed with absolutely NO NOTICE whatsoever, even though it was "temp to perm" and I'd been there for 4 months without a single sick day or even a clerical error. Friday at half past four, I was taken to one side to be told I was finished and I was thanked for my service. I was mortified. Temping's just not worth it.

At least stick with your current job til you find something permanent and actually get offered the job. But you'd be daft to leave cold turkey just because of commuting. Especially with how easy it is to get to Dyce from town.

Guest treader.

I take it nobody read my later post in the thread.

I might be able to transfer to the office in town, which at the time of posting the thread, I was unaware existed.

Shows how much I know!