aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Venues - what the fuck is going on?

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

For thsoe saying they dont have time to sell and their mates just pay at the door, well sell your mates a ticket at the door! Simple!

Again - the promoter's job is to sit at the door. The Tunnels has no mobile reception, so unless one tells all their friends to come to the door at exactly the same time (which, let's face it, is very unlikely to be a solid plan), one would have to sit/stand on the door all night.

Ridiculous.

The promoter sits at the door. Or arranges someone else to.

Although, I guess it could be done if you accepted a list of attendees from each local act with names of friends and then scored them off as they paid in. But that's a bit silly.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again - the promoter's job is to sit at the door. The Tunnels has no mobile reception, so unless one tells all their friends to come to the door at exactly the same time (which, let's face it, is very unlikely to be a solid plan), one would have to sit/stand on the door all night.

Ridiculous.

The promoter sits at the door. Or arranges someone else to.

Although, I guess it could be done if you accepted a list of attendees from each local act with names of friends and then scored them off as they paid in. But that's a bit silly.

TICKETS SOLD MIDWEEK BAND PAY WEEKEND BAND PAY

0-5 15 10

6-15 25 20

16-25 35 30

26-35 45 40

36-50 55 50

50-75 75 65

75-100 100 85

100+ 50% face value 50% face value

Jesus fucking Christ this is stupid, I literally know of no promoter with any decent reputation that does this. Also, why do you need to provide band member names / fanbase ages, etc when you 'apply' to be chosen for a support? It's completely pointless information that will even further dent your reputation.

TICKETS SOLD MIDWEEK BAND PAY WEEKEND BAND PAY

0-5 15 10

6-15 25 20

16-25 35 30

26-35 45 40

36-50 55 50

50-75 75 65

75-100 100 85

100+ 50% face value 50% face value

Jesus fucking Christ this is stupid, I literally know of no promoter with any decent reputation that does this. Also, why do you need to provide band member names / fanbase ages, etc when you 'apply' to be chosen for a support? It's completely pointless information that will even further dent your reputation.

As has been done before - I am quite happy to keep tickets at the door for bands who dont want to hang around the door all night. I dont expect them to.

With regards the payment structure - I was slagged off for supposedly not paying bands who made no effort so now I am - it a fair scale. Are you saying someone who gets 100 people along for example should be paid 30 like a band who takes no one. I feel theres a little bit of an unrealistic idea of what local bands should be paid. I bring mostly up and coming headliners who will be on something around 100-250 in general so I think that on the scale I have and the past sales I would say no local should be going away with less than 30-40 which I think is alright.

Its the way I have chosen to do and thats that! Everyone is entitled to do it however they want. If it doesnt work I will review it!

As for my reputation being dented by asking for band members names and ages - why is that a problem??

If I have a 14+ gig I will then know who is suitable

If I have an 18+ gig I will know that I cant have the under 18s - makes perfect sense to me!

I am sick of this thread now so will not be reading it again, but again thanks for the constructive feedback and to those bands who feel they should only be there to play the gig, good luck cos you wont get anywhere.

Even touring bands still make the effort - ie their labels buy 30+ tickets to a lot of my shows from me for competitions etc - they send me 100s of posters quite often etc etc - even at that stage they arent naive enough to think its ALL the promoters job. Yes, most of it is but not all.

Thank you and good night!

PS I am aware like a lot of the people that comment on here that even though I am just making my point, I am probably coming across like a twat, however I would urge you to speak to me personally about any of this if you really want to justify calling me whatever you have been and still have a probelm.

I am just trying to do a job!

Cheers

Guest idol_wild
!I am sick of this thread now so will not be reading it again, but again thanks for the constructive feedback and to those bands who feel they should only be there to play the gig, good luck cos you wont get anywhere.

Even touring bands still make the effort - ie their labels buy 30+ tickets to a lot of my shows from me for competitions etc - they send me 100s of posters quite often etc etc - even at that stage they arent naive enough to think its ALL the promoters job. Yes, most of it is but not all.

I don't think anyone in this thread is suggesting the bands do nothing to promote the gig. I don't think anyone full stop, be it on this thread or not, is suggesting that.

Why are people misconstruing the point some people are putting across about bands selling tickets to mean that bands shouldn't have to do anything?

Guest idol_wild
PS I am aware like a lot of the people that comment on here that even though I am just making my point, I am probably coming across like a twat, however I would urge you to speak to me personally about any of this if you really want to justify calling me whatever you have been and still have a probelm.

So so defensive. Nobody is actually attacking you, they just have to vent about their experiences with you. And I cringed when people started name-calling in your direction - that was undoubtedly uncalled for. I think you've said your piece and justified your corner. Some will agree with your approach, others won't.

But I have one small piece of advice for you - and I am not trying to be patronising here - but I really think it's good practice for a promoter to actually interact on a human level with the local bands that fill your gig slots. Because, frankly, I would never even have mentioned the fact that my personal experiences of you included not being paid (twice) had you made the effort to say hello each of the times I was on one of your bills. It's curtesy, manners, and just part of the process - half the fun of putting on gigs is to meet new people and have bloody good fun in a musically charged environment.

Guest idol_wild
Sorry, I probably wouldn't have done this if you hadn't picked on someone earlier in the thread for poor spelling, but it's courtesy.

Touche.

But I actually think it was typo (I would say that).

I have a long drawn out story about the word courtesy from school, which I won't bore you with.

So so defensive. Nobody is actually attacking you, they just have to vent about their experiences with you. And I cringed when people started name-calling in your direction - that was undoubtedly uncalled for. I think you've said your piece and justified your corner. Some will agree with your approach, others won't.

But I have one small piece of advice for you - and I am not trying to be patronising here - but I really think it's good practice for a promoter to actually interact on a human level with the local bands that fill your gig slots. Because, frankly, I would never even have mentioned the fact that my personal experiences of you included not being paid (twice) had you made the effort to say hello each of the times I was on one of your bills. It's curtesy, manners, and just part of the process - half the fun of putting on gigs is to meet new people and have bloody good fun in a musically charged environment.

Yeah of course you make a very good point mate. I do always try to speak to bands. I apologise that I didnt to you guys. Back when I started I was always working until 5 or 6 and so didnt get down to the gig til soundchecks were going on and by the time that was over I was organising doors opening etc etc. Anyway its no excuse. I think I have improved since you played for me and certainly take everything on board.

Of course its courtesy to spaek to people and I wouldnt say Ive ever avoided it on purpose. I do however appreciate how it appears to bands like yourself though that have felt like I havent made the effort.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

kool thwax needs to move again, portals did the job but is far far far from ideal. and we've lost money on both nights there.

might give cellar another bash, but we are probably gonna do a couple in korova on bridge street and see how we get on