aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Venues - what the fuck is going on?

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I am trying to organise a gig for Saturday 6th December and I have contacted all the "major players" in terms of venues but, aside from The Tunnels (who sadly cannot accomodate), not a single venue has got back to me after three weeks.

Do venues not want business? Do they not even want to be curteous and at least tell customers they can't accomodate?

Frustrating.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to organise a gig for Saturday 6th December and I have contacted all the "major players" in terms of venues but, aside from The Tunnels (who sadly cannot accomodate), not a single venue has got back to me after three weeks.

Do venues not want business? Do they not even want to be curteous and at least tell customers they can't accomodate?

Frustrating.

Have you tried the Malt Mill?

We're doing a private gig there on Nov 1st and had no trouble organising it.

Paul

Guest idol_wild
Have you tried the Malt Mill?

We're doing a private gig there on Nov 1st and had no trouble organising it.

Paul

Do they have an in-house PA yet?

I'm not a fan of the venue actually. They'd probably be more responsive to customers, though. Should probably look into it.

Guest calumunderkills

Got to say, I have had similar problems in the past. Hen @ the Tunnels (now Drummonds too) is usually very good at getting back to you one way or the other.

Steven Milne @ Moshulu will get back to you - on occasion this isn't immediate, but he will get back to you in a couple of days.

Lemon Tree has just got a new promoter/booking guy, so there will be a little transitional period I'd imagine.

Kef - total nightmare to get any sort of response out of that place...!

I've organised a Malt Mill gig recently and they were pretty easy - a phone call was required though.

I've not dealt with other places much - I'm sitting waiting for a response from Music Club at the moment - anyone know what's actually happening with that place!?

As for the Captain Tom's email from above - they fucked up with their website and it wasn't active for a while (not sure if it is up and running again or not), and that may have messed with their ability to reply to emails, though I think only Tom actually reads those emails. I remember when we first started out a few years ago, I tried to do the practice bookings through e-mail and was told after cancelling by e-mail that to always phone because Tom doesn't always get to the e-mails.

In this day and age of e-mails, you'd think all the businesses would have someone checking and replying regularly to e-mails and myspace messages etc. but the truth is that you're often better off just giving them a call, and you'll find that most of them are quite easy to deal with and accommodating.

:up:

Guest calumunderkills
That's probably due to it being closed for several months. But yeah, even when it was open it was near impossible for communication.

Has it actually, officially closed? I heard rumours and murmurings etc but didn't know for sure if it was closed - shame - it was a great venue.

But I'm talking about when it was most definitely open - trying to even get someone on the end of the phone was a nightmare, and when you did they always fobbed you off saying they'd call you back tomorrow - never did!!

Guest idol_wild
Oh, the stories about people being owed money by Kef/Paul. I'm pretty sure half of Aberdeen would have a story to tell about his somewhat...unethical approach to things.

To be honest, he's not the only one. I have played a gig for a certain local promoter both as a band and in solo mode and, despite being promised payment both times, I received nothing. Also, on both occassions he never introduced himself to the band or me. Indeed, when myself and two other locals supported a touring Scandanavian band at The Tunnels recently, he failed to introduce himself to any of the locals, or thank them for playing and bringing the majority of the crowd down...or speak to any of them regarding payment. And having contacted him retrospectively regarding payment I was promised he'd "sort payment out". That was five weeks ago, yet I have received nothing from him.

The new generation starts here.

Guest treader.
To be honest, he's not the only one. I have played a gig for a certain local promoter both as a band and in solo mode and, despite being promised payment both times, I received nothing. Also, on both occassions he never introduced himself to the band or me. Indeed, when myself and two other locals supported a touring Scandanavian band at The Tunnels recently, he failed to introduce himself to any of the locals, or thank them for playing and bringing the majority of the crowd down...or speak to any of them regarding payment. And having contacted him retrospectively regarding payment I was promised he'd "sort payment out". That was five weeks ago, yet I have received nothing from him.

The new generation starts here.

Was it that Dave Warden character? I know the sort of scam he runs.

i'm aware it's not dave warden.

Frustrating.

Yes!

I've been having exactly the same problem.

Have had no response from tunnels after 3 weeks and 2 emails

Just do what I did Phil, hire out a venue that isnt strictly a music venue, and rent out a PA system. i.e Fraserburgh Lighthouse Museum. But in Aberdeen, no the brock. Not ridiculously expensive, either.

Guest idol_wild

Just do what I did Phil, hire out a venue that isnt strictly a music venue, and rent out a PA system. i.e Fraserburgh Lighthouse Museum. But in Aberdeen, no the brock. Not ridiculously expensive, either.

Hmm, The Tunnels are always good with me - Hen lets me know either way fairly promptly.

I like the idea of using "off-the-wall" venues, but people just don't often attend gigs if it's not at a usual or familiar venue they are comfortable with.

Hmm, The Tunnels are always good with me - Hen lets me know either way fairly promptly.

I like the idea of using "off-the-wall" venues, but people just don't often attend gigs if it's not at a usual or familiar venue they are comfortable with.

That was my reasoning before this, but I sold out and made a massive (relatively) profit.

Well, I've got a couple of "off the wall" venues potentially, if yer ever in need of one.

:up:

I have played a gig for a certain local promoter both as a band and in solo mode and, despite being promised payment both times, I received nothing..

I have a feeling I know exactly who you are talking about, as we've had the exact same scenario.

Unusual venues would be really good, but I can understand why anyone would be reluctant to try. Who is it you're putting on?

Yes!

I've been having exactly the same problem.

I have emailed the info@tunnels.co.uk or whatever it is a few times and never got a response, but I send email to them through Myspace frequently and I always get a response from Hen within the hour. Or PM John Beverley on this site, you usually get a response from there as well.

BTW why were you playing the Fraserburgh Lighthouse Musuem? I didn't think there was much call for live music doon Braidsea.

Guest idol_wild
phil, what kind of bands are you putting on at this?

if it's quiet stuff, i have an idea.

if it's loud...maybe nae.

It's a mixture - some quiet, some loud, and some inbetween! Ha. Kartta are doing a mini-tour with The French Quarter and The Kays Lavelle and I was taking care of the Aberdeen leg.

As it turns out, my mole has managed to get me into Snafu. Which is where I was hoping for!

Now to find a sound engineer for the evening...

Guest idol_wild
I have a feeling I know exactly who you are talking about, as we've had the exact same scenario.

Aye, I was considering contacting some of the bands that have played gigs for him recently to see if they experienced the same thing. I should probably "out" him, but I don't think anyone cares really. Especially him.

Guest calumunderkills
It's a mixture - some quiet, some loud, and some inbetween! Ha. Kartta are doing a mini-tour with The French Quarter and The Kays Lavelle and I was taking care of the Aberdeen leg.

As it turns out, my mole has managed to get me into Snafu. Which is where I was hoping for!

Now to find a sound engineer for the evening...

Can't you just use the in-house engineer at Snafu? There's always Taylor Sound but I think they're quite expensive. :up:

Aye, I was considering contacting some of the bands that have played gigs for him recently to see if they experienced the same thing. I should probably "out" him, but I don't think anyone cares really. Especially him.

If anyone does care it's not that hard to figure out. You just need to search the gigs forum for your recent appearances and click a few threads until you find one with the right lineup.