aberdeen-music

Musical Tastes...?

Guest calumunderkills

Guest calumunderkills

Just wondering what everyone's musical preferences are?

Not looking for an argument/debate on the merits of particular types of music, just trying to get a flavour for what everyone's 'bag' is!

Personally, I'm an indie/rock kind of guy. My favourite all time bands are Oasis, Beatles, Manics, etc. I love a lot of the new stuff that's came out in the last 5 years or so - bands like Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys, The Enemy, The Dykeenies, The View, etc etc.

This comes quite blatantly from being a teenager in the 90s britpop era! I do also really like acoustic music - stuff like the Radio 1 Live Lounge albums always really grab me, and bands doing stripped down versions of their music - like Nirvana Unplugged, which I think is an amazing album!

I'm pretty open-minded though and despite usually hating what people class as 'pop' or really heavy stuff, I find myself really liking some songs you hear on the radio - the odd Girls Aloud song or McFly, and I really like the new Slipknot single and the new Metallica tune!!

On a local level, my favourite bands are The Underkills :up: The Little Kicks, Rescue Party, Kashmir Red, Velvet Audio, Eskimo Blonde !

:cheers:

Well, what were you expecting? People like music. Some people like it so much that they have way too many favourite bands and preferred genres, so listing them would be an epic journey or just a waste of time. Probably both.

Sometimes I like songs by bands I don't really care for. Sometimes bands I like release songs or records that are toilet.

Serious business.

Guest calumunderkills

Fucking hell, surely people have actual favourites though that stand out from the rest, no?

And, I was only joking with my second post because I thought the reply was quite funny actually!

I was just trying to have a nice friendly discussion on what kind of music folks really like. People on here sometimes take themselves a little too seriously, don't they!?

I have a deep love for music, and particular types of music and can get very passionate when discussing it, but was just looking for a flavour of what people on here are into!!

:up:

I pretty much like most of your stuff as well Calum.....being a "90's Kid" also.

My fav is Dave Matthews though - really got into him when i lived in the States and think he is brilliant.

And if you are gonna post that on here you expect to have the usual twats saying what they normally say. but hey its a forum and you can post pretty much what you i'm guessing.

To be honest i cant remeber the last time i bought a debut album...Arctic Monkeys maybe?! So can't say i have be to owe inspired over the past few years.

I'm all about grunge, riot grrl and horror punk mainly.

Though I do have a bit of everything on my iPod really. I absolutely love 1950s rock n roll. 80s synth-pop. I like modern indie pop rock stuff like the Killers, Kings of Leon, Beck etc. Like some classic rock n roll, 60s stuff like the Who and the Beatles. I love folk. And I do like dance, but proper dance, not the chart pish. I don't know, it's kind of hard to pigeonhole because I like a huge variety of stuff. I could list all the stuff on my iPod but it would take all day.

My favourite band are The Ramones.

I was a 90s kid an all but I was more into Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine etc than any of the Britpop stuff. I've always hated Oasis though I had a soft spot for Blur.

Guest calumunderkills

If you had a soft spot for Blur in the 90s it was mandatory to hate Oasis...!

I liked both though!! Oasis more so!

When I was at school, you could almost split people's tastes down the middle. Indie Britpot music or Dance music, that seemed to be all that anyone liked (in my circle of acquaintances anyway!).

I really like Nirvana though I wasn't into them at the time, but I've never really shone to Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They do have some cracking tunes, and I went to see them when they headlined T in the Park a few years ago and the live show was awesome!! The Flea's bass playing is such a beautiful thing...!! I do also like Rage Against the Machine, though I don't own any of their records!

Although I also like a 'bit of everything', guitar music is my genre of preference :up: Guthrie Govan, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert are my all time favourites. Currently I'm mostly listening to Buckethead and Shawn Lane. My favourite band is Jane's Addiction though, probably followed by Tool.

I'm not really into the music I was into at school at all any more. Even 5 years ago my favourite bands were Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, The Clash and, erm, U2; none of which I care much for now.

Guest calumunderkills

I just bought my first Clash album - haven't given it a proper listen yet - it's a live album, but having listened to a few of the tracks, I can see myself getting into them actually!!

I find U2 a strange band really. Some of their stuff is amazing, and I went to their Hampden gig a few years ago and it was really good. But I can't work out just quite how they got so big worldwide because quite a lot of their stuff just doesn't stand out for me. Obviously it's just my opinion and millions of others disagree, but normally even if a band isn't my cup of tea I can see how they've got so big etc. but I can't work it out with U2!! Don't get me wrong, I think they're a very good band, but they've got this aura around them that they're one of the all time great acts, but I just don't get it!!

:up: