aberdeen-music

Cafe Drummond - new ownership?

Bryan

For the record, I spoke to Hen about the new-look Drummonds last week, and it sounds quite exciting!!

It will be like having a new venue in Aberdeen!

As for not letting in under 18s to gigs etc. I don't really agree. I think live music should be shared and promoted etc etc. Kids get into gigs at the Music Hall, Lemon Tree, AECC, Moshulu (usually), most Tunnels gigs etc. I don't think there's much of a problem usually, but if you want the local community to get behind the local bands etc, and help the kids who are in bands to promote their music, they should be allowed in. Bar staff should be well capable of monitoring who to serve and who not to serve, and bouncers should look out for this as well.

It depends what sort of venue and clientelle you want to attract at the end of the day I suppose and it's up the people running the venues, but I don't see the problem with what the likes of the Tunnels do - let under 18s in but kick them out at 11pm or midnight whatever it is to comply with their licensing requirements.

From a band's point of view - I don't care if it's a 14 year old or a 40 year old coming to see us playing!!

:up:

Have you seen them hanging around outside at Drummonds during a gig? Well, there s ALOT less space to hang around outside the Moorings. But they'd do it anyway.

For the record, I spoke to Hen about the new-look Drummonds last week, and it sounds quite exciting!!

It will be like having a new venue in Aberdeen!

As for not letting in under 18s to gigs etc. I don't really agree. I think live music should be shared and promoted etc etc. Kids get into gigs at the Music Hall, Lemon Tree, AECC, Moshulu (usually), most Tunnels gigs etc. I don't think there's much of a problem usually, but if you want the local community to get behind the local bands etc, and help the kids who are in bands to promote their music, they should be allowed in. Bar staff should be well capable of monitoring who to serve and who not to serve, and bouncers should look out for this as well.

It depends what sort of venue and clientelle you want to attract at the end of the day I suppose and it's up the people running the venues, but I don't see the problem with what the likes of the Tunnels do - let under 18s in but kick them out at 11pm or midnight whatever it is to comply with their licensing requirements.

From a band's point of view - I don't care if it's a 14 year old or a 40 year old coming to see us playing!!

:up:

As you pointed out there are already live music venues that admit children. That doesn't mean we all should. It's nice for people to have a choice.

Personally I'd also like to see some adults only restaurants.

I recently had an idea of putting on gigs for under 18s on Saturday afternoons. The idea was to find a venue that would allow under 18s during the day and only serving soft drinks, book 3 bands (including one "school band" and one established band), and charge a couple of quid at the door to cover the costs. I figured a venue would probably be up for it to get some extra cash in for the hiring of the room, and I thought bands would be up for playing, as I think they would get a big crowd, and a lot of potential new fans. Plus some of the terminally bored teenagers would jump at the chance to see some decent bands they usually wouldn't get to see as they always play in bars. Everyone's a winner! I was going to flyer outside schools and skateparks and stuff.

However, like most of my half assed ideas, I've yet to actually do anything about it. I don't think I have the time to pull it off, and I don't know if any venues would be willing to have noisy bands on during the day.

Have you seen them hanging around outside at Drummonds during a gig? Well, there s ALOT less space to hang around outside the Moorings. But they'd do it anyway.

Apparently it's legal to take, cook, and eat road kill, provided you're not the one that ran it over. Wonder if that law would still apply under those circumstances you have envisaged.

Guest calumunderkills

I wasn't saying all venues should admit kids - I said I didn't think there was a real problem with it!! I'm just saying that my opinion is that kids should be given the chance to play and watch live music, which they appear to be getting anyway!! Drummonds doesn't have an over18s policy only does it?

The idea above regarding during the day gigs for under 18s is a pretty good idea - I reckon Tunnels would be a pretty good place for it. Loud music during the day in there wouldn't bother anyone.

I wasn't saying all venues should admit kids - I said I didn't think there was a real problem with it!! I'm just saying that my opinion is that kids should be given the chance to play and watch live music, which they appear to be getting anyway!! Drummonds doesn't have an over18s policy only does it?

The idea above regarding during the day gigs for under 18s is a pretty good idea - I reckon Tunnels would be a pretty good place for it. Loud music during the day in there wouldn't bother anyone.

Is the Tunnels used for anything during the day? Do they serve food or anything?

Guest calumunderkills

The Tunnels stopped serving food as far as I'm aware - and the old chef is moving to Drummonds!

I don't think it is used for anything during the day normally - it should be available to hire for 50 or so!

Thats a pretty damn good idea, and i'd love to be apart of it, if your actually keen for doing that i'd love to help you out? as for the tunnels i don't think they do anything during the day, i managed to get a band practice there on a saturday afternoon once.

I'll try speaking to the Tunnels and see if they are willing to do it. That's the first hurdle.

Matinee gigs would be a smart thing for up here as nearly everywhere in scotland is within a couple of hours drive it would make for possibly more bands being able to do more shows in sctland over a weekend, definently a good idea.

Kilau would be ace for these

Is Ki:lau not a wee bit small for that sort of thing, plus it may put off their older clientele.

It is a good idea on the whole though.

Guest calumunderkills

I say speak to Hen at the Tunnels/Drummonds to see if he can cater at either venue. I'm not sure Drummonds would be good for it given the noise - what about Kef? Is that still open? I heard it was going to close down but I still saw gigs advertised and have saw Paul milling about there a few times since.

Thats a pretty damn good idea, and i'd love to be apart of it, if your actually keen for doing that i'd love to help you out? as for the tunnels i don't think they do anything during the day, i managed to get a band practice there on a saturday afternoon once.

I suppose would could run you over and serve you in the moorings?

Car drivers make several attempts on my life every day. It's nothing new. They have yet to succeed.

"Sorry Mate I Didn't See You", I'm sure every biker must hear this phrase several times a week. I drive a car and I've lost count of the amount of bikers I've almost killed.

Bikers are just as bad when they get behind the wheel of a car. That's why I never get upset about it. The way I see it, the onus is 100% on the biker to avoid any collisions. In spite of what the law says in reality it's always the bikers fault if someone kills them. Some biker disagree with me on this, but strangely enough most of them are dead now.

Having said that, well all harbour a secret fantasy to attach a single motorcycle headlamp to the centre of a juggernauts grill and then go bombing up and down the South Deeside Road in the middle of the night at 70mph. When some fucker pulls out... SMACK BOOM! Then walk back to the debris of their car, stand over their smoking body and say "Oh sorry mate - did you not see me?"