aberdeen-music

Cafe Drummond - new ownership?

Bryan

• 3 weeks later...
I don't get it with the bouncers outside drummonds now, we're trying to get in purely to watch the bands, and now half the gigs are over 18's and just generally heading in is over 18, it's so frustrating, how the hell are bands supposed to get gigs nowadays if everywhere is pushing it to over 18 because a couple of underagers are trying to get sold. They didn't have these bouncer before the ownership changed did they? fine, if the underager thing becomes a problem, just bar them or something, but i don't understand why everyone under 18 has to be penalised when it's really not all that many stupid ignorant youths who are causing all the bother. Let in underagers, just ID everyone who looks under 21! before w eknow it i'm not gonna be able to get into somerfields to buy a fucking bottle of coke because they have an alcohol isle. fucking politics.

Theres always been door staff as far as I am aware. Its part of any venues license that they must have door staff if its open until 2am.

Most of the gigs at Drummonds are 14+ as with most of the gigs at Tunnels.

I don't get it with the bouncers outside drummonds now, we're trying to get in purely to watch the bands, and now half the gigs are over 18's and just generally heading in is over 18, it's so frustrating, how the hell are bands supposed to get gigs nowadays if everywhere is pushing it to over 18 because a couple of underagers are trying to get sold. They didn't have these bouncer before the ownership changed did they? fine, if the underager thing becomes a problem, just bar them or something, but i don't understand why everyone under 18 has to be penalised when it's really not all that many stupid ignorant youths who are causing all the bother. Let in underagers, just ID everyone who looks under 21! before w eknow it i'm not gonna be able to get into somerfields to buy a fucking bottle of coke because they have an alcohol isle. fucking politics.

God, you speak some amount of shite. o_O

Theres always been door staff as far as I am aware. Its part of any venues license that they must have door staff if its open until 2am.

Drummonds used to be somewhat weird on this subject - I was helping with a gig once at Drummonds that was rammed full of underagers. Word comes over that we have to stop letting people in - and so I ended up having to stand on the door, refusing entry to anyone that didn't already have a wristband. And this was without any sort of licence to do so.

However, the system they had of issuing different coloured wristbands was most sensible - fair enough, it relied on them trusting me to check ID's, but no-one was getting past me with anything that the bar staff wouldn't accept ;) I remeber one of the best scams of times gone by was to remove the 'Not 18 Until....' from the Aberdeen Uni cards with nail polish - so, so many places would accept those cards without the date of birth back in the day :)

Bikers are just as bad when they get behind the wheel of a car.

The way I see it, the onus is 100% on the biker to avoid any collisions. In spite of what the law says in reality it's always the bikers fault if someone kills them. Some biker disagree with me on this, but strangely enough most of them are dead now.

well all harbour a secret fantasy to attach a single motorcycle headlamp to the centre of a juggernauts grill and then go bombing up and down the South Deeside Road

Dunno - A spell on a bike before did wonders for my driving when I eventually took my car test. :)

Yup, ride with the assumption that every other road user is a complete & utter fuckwit who is hell-bent on killing you. You won't go far wrong.

Heh-heh - Exactly! :swearing:

• 3 weeks later...
Without meaning to sound stupid. Is there a way of telling which gigs are 14+ and which are 18+ in advance?

Posters? Websites. For the info and a shameless plug for AGP MySpace.com - ABERDEEN GIG PROMOTIONS - 26 - Male - UK - www.myspace.com/aberdeengigpromotions - all the gigs Ive put on and will put on will be 14+ unless its a late night club show which starts later or something specific is required by license etc. We'll have some exciting stuff confirmed for early next year very soon!

And also for the record a lot of the Drummonds gigs are 14+ - being manager there now every one I have worked has been - again unless its a late night show. Unless an outside promoter decided differently there is generally no issue.

I think all gigs should be open to 14+ - lets not forget that these people are going to be the ones keeping the live music scene alive - If they dont get interested now, whats to say they will be up for lots of gigs when they are old enough. None of my shows have had any problems as a result of being 14+