aberdeen-music

Cafe Drummond - new ownership?

Bryan

Guest treader.

the booths are gone and the tall tables and highchairs have been replace with low round tables and leather seats. and they've replaced most of the mirrors beside the old booths with like...botch job paint and presumably plasterboard or wood or something.

if it's actually ALL getting done up it will probably look brilliant.

I was in Drummonds about a month ago on I think it was either a Friday or Saturday night. All the bands had finished, and the place was about half full, nice and relaxed, music playing at a reasonable volume and everybody was having an nice time just sitting chatting.

Then, a DJ set up on the stage with big big speakers, and proceeded to play shit music (Ian Brown, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses etc.) at absolutely ear-splitting volume. I was in the booths and I couldn't hear my girlfriend, who was sitting right next to me, talking. We moved up to the seats next to the door but it was still just ridiculously loud. You couldn't hear a thing. Within 10 minutes, pretty much everybody had left, with the exception of a really drunk mental-looking guy, and a really drunk girl in a short skirt who he had spent the past 10 minutes snogging the face off of and rather openly fingering on the sofa opposite me (the one facing the window).

Thankfully the person I was waiting to meet turned up so we soon left as well. It was ludicrous though, everybody was quite happy until the DJ came on and emptied the place.

The girl was still getting fingered when I left, incidentally.

Guest treader.
I was in Drummonds about a month ago on I think it was either a Friday or Saturday night. All the bands had finished, and the place was about half full, nice and relaxed, music playing at a reasonable volume and everybody was having an nice time just sitting chatting.

Then, a DJ set up on the stage with big big speakers, and proceeded to play shit music (Ian Brown, Happy Mondays, Stone Roses etc.) at absolutely ear-splitting volume. I was in the booths and I couldn't hear my girlfriend, who was sitting right next to me, talking. We moved up to the seats next to the door but it was still just ridiculously loud. You couldn't hear a thing. Within 10 minutes, pretty much everybody had left, with the exception of a really drunk mental-looking guy, and a really drunk girl in a short skirt who he had spent the past 10 minutes snogging the face off of and rather openly fingering on the sofa opposite me (the one facing the window).

Thankfully the person I was waiting to meet turned up so we soon left as well. It was ludicrous though, everybody was quite happy until the DJ came on and emptied the place.

the happy mondays really are shit.

Blimey, where have you been?

Where is Drummonds?

Seriously though... I hope they do something about the name. I don't mean to nitpick (OK I do) but this has been getting on my tits for years.

The place was originally named "Cafe Drummond". Singlular. Which made sense to everyone with a basic grasp of English grammer.

The a good while back it was facelifted and they changed the name and sign to "Drummond's" which also made perfect grammatical sense.

Then a few years ago they changed the name almost sort of back, but to "Cafe Drummonds" which makes no more sense than asking for a bottle of "Millers".

[/ENDRANT]

Anyhow - how many fingers are we talking? Just curious. Did you have a camera phone on you by any chance?

I'm pretty sure I know who the mental drunk guy was, I used to share a flat with him.

I hope they don't change the taps - Drummonds taps are FAR superior to The Moorings ones.

If they they could somehow be persuaded to leave the taps alone then would you promise to drink there exclusively? *PLEASE DEAR GOD*

I don't get it with the bouncers outside drummonds now, we're trying to get in purely to watch the bands, and now half the gigs are over 18's and just generally heading in is over 18, it's so frustrating, how the hell are bands supposed to get gigs nowadays if everywhere is pushing it to over 18 because a couple of underagers are trying to get sold. They didn't have these bouncer before the ownership changed did they? fine, if the underager thing becomes a problem, just bar them or something, but i don't understand why everyone under 18 has to be penalised when it's really not all that many stupid ignorant youths who are causing all the bother. Let in underagers, just ID everyone who looks under 21! before w eknow it i'm not gonna be able to get into somerfields to buy a fucking bottle of coke because they have an alcohol isle. fucking politics.

[PATRONISE]You may feel differently about this once you're older. Most of our customer hated the presence of underagers in the bar so we got rid of them. The same is probably occurring here. Fortunately you get older every year and this ceases to be a problem for ever because it's illegal to exclude pensioners.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that grown ups go to bars to behave like children, whilst conversely children go to bars to behave like grown ups. The two don't mix. The last thing some drunken adult making a tit of itself wants to see is a disparaging look shot from some 'ultra mature' 14 year old emo chick.

We don't really mind the ones the badly behaved ones so much.[/PATRONISE]

• Upvote 1

i just want to go to gigs and play some too! and care how old and mature you are and how much you want to act like kids, i just want to play music and gigs, but it seems like more and more so these days i can't! so what if thats going to change in little over 13 months, i don't want to see it happen to anyone else, why does it have to be about drinking all the time?

I want to go to school discos... but that's not going to happen for me in the next 13 months so count yourself lucky.

There are plenty of gigs that aren't held in bars which you are able to attend.

Guest calumunderkills

For the record, I spoke to Hen about the new-look Drummonds last week, and it sounds quite exciting!!

It will be like having a new venue in Aberdeen!

As for not letting in under 18s to gigs etc. I don't really agree. I think live music should be shared and promoted etc etc. Kids get into gigs at the Music Hall, Lemon Tree, AECC, Moshulu (usually), most Tunnels gigs etc. I don't think there's much of a problem usually, but if you want the local community to get behind the local bands etc, and help the kids who are in bands to promote their music, they should be allowed in. Bar staff should be well capable of monitoring who to serve and who not to serve, and bouncers should look out for this as well.

It depends what sort of venue and clientelle you want to attract at the end of the day I suppose and it's up the people running the venues, but I don't see the problem with what the likes of the Tunnels do - let under 18s in but kick them out at 11pm or midnight whatever it is to comply with their licensing requirements.

From a band's point of view - I don't care if it's a 14 year old or a 40 year old coming to see us playing!!

:up: