aberdeen-music

Art on the wall

celtic chief

Alrite - quick question for you guys (probably Flash) who did the art on the wall... it's really smart, especially the flying ghostly pirate bike...it almost vmakes you want to be a pitare!

Cheers

CC

Also - sorry to bitch, but when will the water in the toilets be fixed? Not being able to wash your hands is a bit grotty...!

Also - sorry to bitch, but when will the water in the toilets be fixed? Not being able to wash your hands is a bit grotty...!

No problem it pisses me off too, but fixing it would cost tens of thousands of pounds. According to various plumbers we have spoken to the only way to improve the flow would be to demolishing half of the buildings interior as the pipes in question cannot be traced without ripping down all the walls and ceilings.

The environmental health have inspected us regularly over the course of the past 6.5 years and they are satisfied with the hand washing facilities.

There is running water in the gents, it just doesn't run very fast and you have to push the taps down quite hard. The tap on the right works best.

There is substantial medical and scientific evidence that suggest that it's healthier not to wash one's hands after taking a piss, unless the person in question is suffering from a urine infection, is carrying an STD, or hasn't showered/bathed for a while. There is nothing dangerous in piss, in fact quite the opposite, it has great curative effects and rubbing it into a bruise, open wound, or sores greatly facilitates healing. It's also drinkable albeit a little salty. It is now generally accepted that people would be better of washing their hands before they piss. But what ever you do, don't drink Biz's piss (or should that be pizz) as he believes it carries typhoid (perhaps he's been shagging corn beef).

Shitting is a very different matter.

HOT TIP: Personally I take a shit at home before I leave the house, as I much prefer my own toilet to the one in the bar (or any bar). Shitting in a pub toilet is a last resort and best reserved for emergency situations only :)

FYI - The bar staff have their own dedicated hand washing sink behind the bar with lashings of liquid soap, hot water, and clean dry towels.

I believe that establishments selling food and drinks should have hot running water and soap .

Typhoid can only spread in environments where human feces or urine are able to come into contact with food or drinking water. Careful food preparation and washing of hands are therefore crucial to preventing typhoid.

If hot running water is good enough for the staff, SURELY it is good enough for the punters.

Taps like the ones in The Moorings and Tunnels are useless, especially if you only have one hand .

At least the ones in Tunnels make a great sound - a bit like a Brass instrument .

That waxy soap in the Moorings is taking the piss too.

I want my hands fresh and clean, NOT, stinky and uncomfortable after washing.

The hand dryer is nae bad .

Here's what happens when you eat piss and shit...

In August 1963 a new supermarket opened in Aberdeens West-end. It was very modern in design and layout, part of a new trend away from traditional small shops to larger self-service supermarkets. This supermarket was one of seven opened during 1963 by a Dundee-based chain, William Low & Co., who since the late 1950s had been very forward-looking in adapting and expanding their existing branch network. By May 1964 the shop had established a regular clientele and was becoming a successful branch. Disaster struck sometime between 7 and 9 May when a six lb can of Argentinian corned beef was opened and was sold sliced from the cold meat counter over the next few days. Later it was discovered that the can had been cooled during processing in untreated river water and the typhoid organism was presumed to have entered through a small hole in the seam. Although there had been no specific typhoid outbreak near the factory, it has been estimated that sixty-six tons of excrement and 250,000 gallons of urine entered the river every day. This state of sanitary hygiene was ideal for the spread of the typhoid bacillus, especially in a country that recorded over 10,000 cases of typhoid per year in the early 1960s.

More here -

Typhoid fever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does the female bog have hot running water?

I'm anal about hand washing. I don't like the fact that I have to use one hand to hold down the tap, thus I can only wash one hand at a time. So after I wash one hand I have to use my clean hand to push down the tap that other people's pissy, shitty hands have been all over. This can normally be remedied by using a paper towel to push down the tap with your clean hand, but this is not possible in an establishment which uses hand driers. I also use this technique to open the door, as other people's filthy, pissy, shitty hands have been all over the door handle after they've had a slash and not washed their hands. If, as pointed out before , this is not possible due to lack of paper towels then I'll try to select a part of the handle that doesn't get used much, ie the very very top of it (as most people will grab the middle), or by using an arm of sleeve, or simply wait for someone to come through the other way.

Anyway. What you should consider is some of that hand sanitiser that they have at T in the Park in dispensers that you squirt onto your hands and rub in. Then you don't need water.

Anyway. What you should consider is some of that hand sanitiser that they have at T in the Park in dispensers that you squirt onto your hands and rub in. Then you don't need water.

I recall watching a news piece in which a doctor was very much opposed to the use of hand sanitiser in hospitals. Something about it makes it far less effective than soap (liquid or bar) and water. Probably that most bugs are actually immune to what's in the sanitiser, but soap works by attaching to both non-polar and polar molecules and leaving them easy to rinse off, thus avoiding the need to combat the bacteria.

I <3 wiki

Hand sanitiser is for convenience (outdoor events where water isn't readily available) whereas soap, whilst old fashioned is beaten only by chemicals that readily degrade your own skin in the process!

The water is readily available, even if it's a little slow. I shall endeavour to use the right tap from now on!

We switched to soap bars from liquid soap purely because of the havoc that people wreaked on the dispensers, it was costing a small fortune buying new dispensers, repairing the wall and tiles, and those cartridges of soap aren't cheap either. There was also the slip hazard when some clown emptied it onto the floor. And all that was like a weekly occurrence.

The water in the toilets is via a mixer tap, but the run to our hot water tank is very long, and the pipe holds over a gallon of water. We have to run the tap in the cleaning cupboard for 5mins to get the water hot so we can mop the floor.

The feeds to the bar sinks aren't a problem becauase they are both nearer and in almost constant use.

My understanding of science is that cold water works just as well for washing hand s anyway, just doesn't feel as nice.

The reason we don't have paper towels is that people use them to block the drains, and that means closing the bar and paying someone 300 to come round in a van, really not worth the hassle I'd rather blow my brains out than go back to paper towels.

The blue cloth towel things are not considered to be hygenic and I'm not sure you can get them anymore. Either way we used to have one, it got kicked off the wall a few dozen times and dumped in the urinal.

The upshot is that, as kindly highlighted by the above poster, it's possible to wash ones hands with the current facilities. The only way to improve on that would be to rip half the building apart and then hire a toilet bouncer (what ace job that would be), and those options are not economically viable.

Another more pressing consideration is the forthcoming EU directive on noise emissions has necessitated we spend a further 6 figure sum soundproofing the building, part of this work is currently in progress. The additional layer of roofing, new frontage, new fire doors, new ventilation, new oil tank, and *COUGH* new side passage will be tackled next.

Such is the cost of keeping a venue open in the politically correct, do-goody, nanny state, 21st Century.

BTW these forthcoming laws will impact many UK venues, we just prefer to get the work done in advance while we are in control of the deadlines, rather than stick our heads in the sand and wait for an abatement notice followed by the cops nailing the doors shut.

Anyhow about that wall...

After reading up on it some more, I'll admit my lack of understanding of hand sanitizers.

From the wiki:

"Alcohol rubs kill many different kinds of bacteria, including antibiotic resistant bacteria and TB bacteria. Alcohol rubs inactivate many different kinds of viruses, including the flu virus and the common cold virus. Alcohol rubs also kill fungus.

Not all pathogens are equally susceptible. Certain bacteria, especially the spore-forming gram positives (e.g. Clostridium difficile) are relatively resistant and remain biologically viable. During the Anthrax attacks on the United States Postal Service, authorities warned that alcohol hand rubs would not kill anthrax spores. In environments with high lipids or protein waste (such as food processing), the use of alcohol hand rubs alone may not be sufficient to ensure proper hand hygiene."

I recall watching a news piece in which a doctor was very much opposed to the use of hand sanitiser in hospitals. Something about it makes it far less effective than soap (liquid or bar) and water. Probably that most bugs are actually immune to what's in the sanitiser, but soap works by attaching to both non-polar and polar molecules and leaving them easy to rinse off, thus avoiding the need to combat the bacteria.

I <3 wiki

Hand sanitiser is for convenience (outdoor events where water isn't readily available) whereas soap, whilst old fashioned is beaten only by chemicals that readily degrade your own skin in the process!

The water is readily available, even if it's a little slow. I shall endeavour to use the right tap from now on!

No it was a good post!

The reason there are so many sick people is because of that antibacterial crap. Soap never fails.

Cheers Flash!

I didn't know the plumbing cost so much to fix. Thankfully I have never been in the position to blow my backside into the toilet when in the pub, however I think that is down to the fact that I've never samples the sandwhiches from the menu :-)

No worries. The plumbing is just a problem because it's an old building and nobody can figure out where the pipes run. They could be behind one of the walls, over the ceiling, or under the floor. Somewhere on the gents pipes will be some sort of stopcock, which is not turned on far enough, but all the stopcocks which are visible to us are accounted for elsewhere.

It may be possible for us to fit a separate header and hot water tank solely to service to toilets. This would mean tearing down a ceiling and smashing through the tiles but would probably be cheaper than tearing the building apart trying to find the missing stopcock. However the priority at the moment in getting soundproofed, and unfortunately soundproofing is also the best heat insulation known to man, so we'll then need to fit ventilation or aircon in order to compensate... and it's all very expensive.

Once that's all behind us we plan to refit the entire cellar. There's actually nothing wrong with the cellar (which we already refitted back in summer 2002), except there's a 3 pint pull on each beer line. It currently costs us around 10,000 a year in wastage in order to clean the lines each week. We need to sell an additional 20,000 of booze to cover the cost of that wastage.

The reason behind this is that back in the very old days there were huge beer tanks installed under the bar. When they switched to the modern keg system, rather than close the bar they fitted out a new cellar which was about 25m further away. That decision not to close for a week, has probably cost the bar in the order of 500,000 in todays money over the course of the past 40 years!

Unfortunately the old cellar hatch has been filled in, and the council won't let us reopen it, so we have to dig a new one, as the existing one will be in the wrong place. But that's nothing compared to the bottomless pit that is bar ownership hah hah.

So yeah, as the toilets are currently serviceable they'll have to wait until everything else gets done.

PS I'll pass on your regards to Earl of Sandwich LOL. Pretty sure they have hot water though...

I love the art in the Moorings and all the weird ornaments and implements adorning the shelves.

The live nude bands sign is lovely.

I noticed that if you drink enough lager the tickly tap disnae matter so much. The tap on the right trickled a treat yesterday, just long enough for a quick cats dicht.

I am getting quite attached to the hand dryer, it's nae too loud which is a bonus.

I have never shagged corned beef, but I do recall some time in the mid 1980s shagging a woman with corned beef thighs. I think it might have been the result of standing in front of the fire heating up my tea .