aberdeen-music

Letting agents

Morning View

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a letting agent? I notice that there are quite a few complaints about agents from tenants in the Rant thread but does anyone have experience of using an agent to rent out their flat? I am going to be away for a year so it wouldn't be practical to arrange a private lease.

Thanks!

They are all Satan.

If you want your tenants to get ripped off left right and centre by a bunch of surly unhelpful fuckwits, then can I recommend ABERDEEN PROPERTY LEASING on Rosemount Place. They're utter shameless cunts and I'm sure one of their clueless staff will happilly spout any old shite over the phone to get your business.

Well they fleeced me for 400 of my deposit. Including 100 for an 'inventory check' that I didn't know about. I paid 100 for an "inventory check" when I moved in last November, and I had to pay for it again when I moved out! And presumably the next tenants will have to pay for another one when they move in. It's fucking criminal.

Stewart Property Services aren't my favourite for letting the flat below me out to junkies and not noticing that they'd trashed it until they got arrested one day (seriously, they took 2 months to refurbish it after they went and even had to replace interior walls o_O). They also rented a different filthy flat out to a friend of mine for a year that included amongst other gripes: 2 non-working kitchen appliances, walls lined with tin foil, not a single comfortable chair, windows that didn't open, very dodgy wiring that meant no lightbulb ever lasted more than 5 minutes and the most minging bathroom I've encountered in a long time. They put the rent up by 400 this last month without fixing any of it.

In conclusion, don't use Stewart Property Services as I don't think you'd be guaranteed good tenants and they'd let your flat rot.

I rent with APL. When I moved in the windows wouldn't open so we asked them to send someone round to fix it. The person never came and we were never advised of a new appointment. Around two months later I was asleep one morning after working late the night before. A stranger walked into my room giving me the fright of my life! Said he'd let himself in and was there to fix the windows. Understandably he left sharpish when he realised I was starkers and alone in the flat. I was then charged for his visit as I'd wasted his time. Three years later and my windows still don't open.

To be frank... for 400 a month in aberdeen (I assume it's city centre) you're lucky to get a roof over your head. Did they not view the flat before taking it? I wouldn't sign a lease for a dirty flat without the condition of a deep clean before I moved in.

I made a mistake there, the rent was put up BY 200 a month not by 400... it's now 1,200 a month for the whole place. My friend moved in to replace someone halfway through the lease, then was on holiday when it was time for the lease to be renewed. I don't know if he's signed it yet since he got back. I think he was going to refuse unless they fixed stuff. He isn't annoyed by the mess that has obviously been caused by his flatmates since they moved in, it's the things that have obviously been caused by years of poor maintenance that he's lobbying for.

Literally?

Yup, I'm reffering to the flat my girlfriend shared with Jimsin before we moved in together. They had to the plumbing in the bathroom replaced, which took months, and was left incomplete over a weekend with the result of the neighbour's poos being pumped into Amy's bathroom whenever they used their toilet. ?(

• 3 years later...

Just bumping this thread to mention this Campaign by Shelter Scotland:

http://www.reclaimyourfees.com/

If you hsve been charged any admin/credit check/inventory/holding fees by your letting agent or landlord, they are illegal in Scotland and you can claim them back.

The site helps generate all the letters you need to get the fees back and gives guidance if you need to take them to the small claims court.

:)

• Upvote 1

I must say i havent had any real issues over the years of renting, considering the bomb sites we left some flats in as well. I used APL for a few years and have nothing but good things to say about them, for one they let my stoner ass rent a 2 bedroomed house, they fixed anything that needed to be within a week, washing machine, gas heating, anything, and when it came to us moving out we had no arguments over the deposit or anything. I've had more hassle with private leasing than through agents.

Martin and Co are the worst. I've never used them, but I used to work for them, and now I work at the Council clamping down on crooked landlords. Martin and Co are knobheads. They were a bit racist too when I worked there. You'd get alot of folk coming over from Africa to go to uni and work in the oil. They'd do whatever they could to make sure they didn't get the flat they wanted. Crude impressions were involved too. That place needs to be firebombed.

• Upvote 1