aberdeen-music

'Selecting' the facts.

Lemonade

I was just reading an article about the Jersey Devil on theunexplainedmysteries.com and I found a passage that made me LOL big time.

Since 1909, the Jersey Devil has continued to be sighted by people all over New Jersey. The number of sightings that have been reported to the authorities has dwindled over the years. This could be attributed to the fact that people don't want to be branded as crazy.

.... or it could be because it's a myth, or that people in 2008 aren't as superstitious and susceptible to mass hysteria as they were in 1909....

Still, good story though.

UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES - The Jersey Devil

That's great! :D Also, presumably in 1909 appearing crazy was 'all the rage'.

I think we're (as in, the human race in general) still superstitious, and still prone to mass hysteria, but it would be interesting to see how the focus of these has progressed with time. It would take a lot of work to explain why Most Haunted is still on TV, tho...

Oh it gets better.

Only a small amount of the sightings and footprints could be hoaxes. The Jersey Devil has been seen by reliable people such as police, government officials, postmasters, businessman, and other people whose "integrity is beyond question."6 As for the hoof prints, even if some were hoaxes, There is still no way to explain most of the tracks, especially the ones on roof tops and tracks that ended abruptly as if the creature took wing.

This reminds me of fundamentalist Christianity and their propensity for presenting absolute lies as fact.

That's great! :D Also, presumably in 1909 appearing crazy was 'all the rage'.

I think we're (as in, the human race in general) still superstitious, and still prone to mass hysteria, but it would be interesting to see how the focus of these has progressed with time. It would take a lot of work to explain why Most Haunted is still on TV, tho...

People are a lot more cynical these days. If 200 years ago someone had run into a tavern yelling that the devil was chasing him they would have been out after it with pitchforks and burning torches in a heartbeat. These days it would be "sit down and shut up ye prick!"

Still doesn't explain Most Haunted though.

People are a lot more cynical these days. If 200 years ago someone had run into a tavern yelling that the devil was chasing him they would have been out after it with pitchforks and burning torches in a heartbeat. These days it would be "sit down and shut up ye prick!"

I'd like to think so, but if you substitute 'paedophile' for 'devil' then you still get the same mob rage occurring these days, without even getting in to whether it's justified or not. And as for believing people in authority and ignoring actual evidence, that old "MMR causes autism" scare is a right chestnut. We've just changed the targets from irrational to seemingly more rational. Well, in most cases, Most Haunted, psychics and horoscopes aside once again...

(and Gillian McKeith, Patrick Holford, perpetual energy machines, homeopathy, 'alternative' medicine etc etc etc)

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

There's an espisode of The X Files called Jersey Devil.

It's not very good, though.

no where near as abad as Kevin Smiths jersey girl.

I really liked Jersey Girl... Not quite on par with the whole view askewniverse, but as rom-coms go it was better than most.