aberdeen-music

Gigs

Camie

I can think of a great example though - Strobing Goat seem to be getting gigs by the shedload, yet (no disrespect to them), they seem to be doing precisely fuck all in terms of bringing people actually to the music. There was hardly anyone at the Sluts of Trust gig, and then the Fudge night was shockingly attended on top - so why the hell do they keep getting gigs?

There's no such thing as an easy fix in any industry, and it's painfully apparent in this case.

I will get kicked for this

dont hate me, but I stopped going to gigs as the majority of the bands (in my opinion) spew out the same bland, uninspired shit that is no interest to me whatsoever.

maybe im one of very few? but it doesnt look like it...

they also need to be tactful in how they promote themselves. personally' date=' i feel that if Five Finger Discount started putting posters up everywhere for our debut show then it would be a bit cheeky of us as people haven't heard of us, let alone our music.[/quote']

Dunno if I'd agree with that pers e, I don't think you can ever do enough promotion at this level. I've certainly noticed the difference in gig attendances at gigs when we've played shows with load'sa promotion compared to shows with a lot less.

I've done shitloads of work on the Neil Leyton show on Thursday (along with DJ Alex), and I'm really hoping it'll pay off, but we'll see.

Guest Scott 5FD
Dunno if I'd agree with that pers e' date=' I don't think you can ever do enough promotion at this level. I've certainly noticed the difference in gig attendances at gigs when we've played shows with load'sa promotion compared to shows with a lot less.

I've done shitloads of work on the Neil Leyton show on Thursday (along with DJ Alex), and I'm really hoping it'll pay off, but we'll see.[/quote']

but you've been in other bands, so people know sorta what to expect. we don't have such an advantage.

I can think of a great example though - Strobing Goat seem to be getting gigs by the shedload' date=' yet (no disrespect to them), they seem to be doing precisely fuck all in terms of bringing people actually to the music. There was hardly anyone at the Sluts of Trust gig, and then the Fudge night was shockingly attended on top - so why the hell do they keep getting gigs?

There's no such thing as an easy fix in any industry, and it's painfully apparent in this case.[/quote']

maybe because some folks in aberdeen like putting on gigs with good bills and not just the bands that pull the crowds. i don't necessarilly think the talent or originallity of a band translates directly to good attendences. and in response to the person who was complaining about the bands sounding generic i think you'll find it's the more generic sounding bands that seem to pull the bigger crowds. your casual music fan wants to hear something familiar and don't want to think too hard. so it would seem anyway.

something that might help increase attendences would be some support from the local media, but that would seem to be a lost cause just now.

i also think the fact that people have some nice music orientated bars to drink in has hurt attendences a little bit(not slagging the bassment or the moorings, fair play to them. love em) as folks can sit and talk with their friends and listen to good music. at gigs it's hard to talk to folks. personally i'd rather go to a gig myself but hey, that's just me. and my attendence has been poor of late too due to financial and geographical reasons(stoney sucks).

the only way to help get people to your gigs is to make posters, make em good ones too. not too overcomplicated, just something with an eye catching image and the gig info on it and put it everywhere. it's in a bands interests to promote the hell out of themselves and it'll impress promoters who will ask them back.

of course the other reason attendences are low is probably because of the increase in gig opportunities and gigs in general. it's a limited audience up here and they can't be everywhere.

maybe because some folks in aberdeen like putting on gigs with good bills and not just the bands that pull the crowds. i don't necessarilly think the talent or originallity of a band translates directly to good attendences.

It doesn't' date=' as far as I can see. I know there's nothing wrong with putting on good bills, I mean, Strobing Goat are damned original, but it surely can't be healthy to have gigs as poorly attended as this? Granted though, The Moorings seems to be kicking ass as far as attendances go - every time i've been there for a gig, it's been fairly damn busy.

something that might help increase attendences would be some support from the local media, but that would seem to be a lost cause just now.

It would probably help a hell of a lot, but they just seem utterly apathetic towards the whole thing. I don't know why, but you've gotta wonder why the independent and the herald haven't started full scale music features, it's not as if they have much else to put in the pages.

i also think the fact that people have some nice music orientated bars to drink in has hurt attendences a little bit(not slagging the bassment or the moorings' date=' fair play to them. love em) as folks can sit and talk with their friends and listen to good music. at gigs it's hard to talk to folks. personally i'd rather go to a gig myself but hey, that's just me. [/quote']

Interesting point, I hadn't thought of that before - and yes, being able to hear decent music and talk to your friends at the same time is really nice. It seems that possibly, there's just saturation in the marketplace combined with nothing that screams "the future" out there, there's about five bands that could be called the future - but none of them are at the same level as say Alyssa's Wish a wee while ago. It's definitely time for some bands to step up, but again, there's probably only about two or three bands who are ready to make that step.

the only way to help get people to your gigs is to make posters' date=' make em good ones too. not too overcomplicated, just something with an eye catching image and the gig info on it and put it everywhere. it's in a bands interests to promote the hell out of themselves and it'll impress promoters who will ask them back.[/quote']

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that the Kef posters were brilliant because they got the point across without needing anything fancy - and you can see them everywhere. I've also seen adverts for Moshulu gigs in random places - like Rosemount.

of course the other reason attendences are low is probably because of the increase in gig opportunities and gigs in general. it's a limited audience up here and they can't be everywhere.

I think you're right - I just hope it doesn't result in any problems for any of the venues.