aberdeen-music

Gigs

Camie

Maybe people are bored of seeing the same bills, same local lineups....

I still don`t know why bands play all local band line-ups... Doesn`t really get you anywhere.

Best to find a touring band that you feel fits with your band and contact all the venues on that band`s touring schedule and try and get on the bill. Means that the band become friends etc and you can use this to your advantage.

That is a good point Ross but you rarely see all local band line ups. I still go to a lot of gigs and find that they are empty a lot. People can't be bothered nowdays and prefer wasting their money on getting drunk rather than paying a few quid to see some good bands. I also notice Kef rarely advertise their gigs and wonder if they are actually making a profit.

Guest Stripey
A lot of bands play too often' date=' and people get sick of them. Once a month in the same city is plenty good for any band.[/quote']

I agree. I also think its completey wrong to whinge about low attendance - you can't demand or expect people to listen to you just because you are playing. If nobody shows up, its either the date/timing of the gig, bad promotion, or maybe *shock*horror* nobody is that interested in your band.

Out of interest, which are the local bands which regularly pull the biggest crowds?

Yeh I know you do your fair share but you put them up like a few days before the gig. I do not have a solution to this problem of people not going anymore that is why i added for people to put down ideas to help. I am not wanting to moan about people not going to gigs i merely want to help the problem by putting this thread up.

Yeh I know you do your fair share but you put them up like a few days before the gig.

no we dont' date=' perhaps in very rare situations when locals do not confirm in time, not much we can do about that.

And if that is the case, if you see them then other people see them.

Its all choice, people can decide to go to a gig or they can decide not too.[/color']

yeh but im hoping that this thread will provide solutions into attracting the people back. Like it used to be ages ago.

I agree' date=' but music changes, people change and style changes we just have to do the best and accept it as it is.

some of the bands you have seen that were sell out gigs or really busy just dont have the pull these days

whats 'in' just now will be 'out' by the time you read this

so we have to find alternatives, which is not easy.[/color']

Guest Scott 5FD

they also need to be tactful in how they promote themselves. personally, i feel that if Five Finger Discount started putting posters up everywhere for our debut show then it would be a bit cheeky of us as people haven't heard of us, let alone our music. but if someone like MMW, 10EW, PoO or Quik were to put up there own posters then i'm sure that their would be an increase in attendance at their gigs.

Guest Stripey
yeh but im hoping that this thread will provide solutions into attracting the people back. Like it used to be ages ago.

If nobody is interested in going to gigs anymore, surely this tells you something. From most of the demo's I've heard on the AUBL site, the vast majority of these bands seem to be stylistically very generic and dated, and most of them come across as tribute bands, rather than artists with a sound of their own.

Perhaps the bar needs to be raised to stop the scene being saturated with rubbish, and I think poor attendance at gigs should be motivating the bands to try a bit harder to stand out, rather than motivating them to whine that noone comes to listen to them anymore.

Guest Nikola Tesla
the bands need to do more promotion themselves' date=' they shouldn't leave it up to the promoter or venue.[/quote']

I agree with that totaly, theres no point in the band relying on promoters to get the word out. If bands want people to come see them, they have to promote like mad, even if it gets people along who dont like your music, one of their mates might check them out and become a fan.

As far as gigs go im pretty dedicated to my tastes in music and the local bands that are doing that. It's just a pity their gigs arnt too frequent.