aberdeen-music

The Fall at The Lemon Tree

Mothership

No John Cooper Clarke (at least they offered refunds) and a 40 minute set from The Fall of which Mark E Smith must have spent 30 on stage. I don't know if this is normal for The Fall, but it's not what you expect from a band with a gazillion albums out there. Is it still 1977? Fantastic value for 19.80....

Yes, it was good as far as it went. I was thinking Mark was retiring to spend more time with the rider! I'd have been happy for the band to have carried on for a while longer without him. There was someone behind me filling in the words, somewhat more clearly than the man himself!

I'm glad I went anyway having bumped into an old friend from school who I hadn't seen for donkey's years. She said I hadn't changed, just had no hair. I suppose there was a compliment in there somewhere!

Even tho' they're a band of legend this carry on is absolutely unacceptable. Even the band were embarrased not to mention looking s**t scared of MES throughout the performance! They should've played on and thus communicated to MES the scale of his unprofessionalism.

All in all, a very poor show, especially if the comment about JCC not even being booked for the gig is accurate.

As for The Lemon Tree, it's time to get your act together. I tried to call before the gig to reserve tickets but got a pre-recorded message: "This number does not accept incoming calls". If you want to survive this time, at least give paying customers the opportunity to speak to you!

So, with no tickets, we were made to stand outside in the rain from 8.15 until 9pm before they'd even open the doors to sell tickets. Great mandate for the "fresh start"!

So, with no tickets, we were made to stand outside in the rain from 8.15 until 9pm before they'd even open the doors to sell tickets. Great mandate for the "fresh start"!

You should have done what I did and bought a ticket at the HMT box office which is open till 8pm. Having said that at 7:30 they clearly weren't expecting much trade as they'd already cashed up the till, having to rummage around for my 20p change. Don't know if the larcenous 1.80 booking fee applies to buying tickets on the door though.

I don't remember the Lemon Tree every opening the doors before the posted gig time in the evening, sometimes ten minutes after.... :swearing:

If it's true JCC wasn't even booked, that's a disgrace. He was a fair part of why I went as was the case with several people I talked too. The posters inside said he "may" not be appearing. At the same time the "replacement" support act (unbilled) have their gear sitting on stage ready for them. Mmmm...

All more than a wee bit dodgy...was the gig booked/promoted by Aberdeen Performing Arts, or was it an outside promoter?

I bought my ticket at the door....it's galling to pay a booking fee, plus it took ages for the desk to serve the five folk in front of me.....fortunately it meant I missed about half of the support act. :up:

Just checked JCC's website & MySpace and there's no mention of him playing The Lemon Tree or anywhere else with The Fall. I emailed him to ask nicely what the score was. It seems odd given he's supported the The Fall in the past. It couldn't be that Mark E has fallen out with him.... no, surely not.

He's still listed on some further dates on this tour including Edinburgh today when Milophobia are again supporting. Wasn't it lucky they just happened to be in town & it was nice of them to hand out a flyer to enable the punters to remember their name and avoid in future. For a very brief moment I thought JCC had gotten a haircut and lost his shirt...

Any truth in the rumour that a Fall reunion is planned for the Albert Hall? The happily reunited former band members will be occupying the seats whilst the audience sit on the stage... whilst MES fucks off to the bar to start a fight.

I was thinking about doing a wee piece about food and wine for Fudge Fanzine .

I'm nae very keen on wine though, so I thought I'd hae a wee blether about the delicious food and service provided by a few Aberdeen establishments.

Aye, I think The Lemon Tree deserves it in the neck as I used to go there weekly and it got so shite I stopped going altogether.

It's a disgrace - booking fee? what a load of bollocks -the tickets are overpriced enough anyway, and I have been left standing in the rain too many times - doors open time should be adhered to .

The menu is shite tae and umpteen times I have been served sub standard inedible over priced pish .

How about serving raving Scottish stuff like Butteries, Broth, mince and tatties, stovies and a few tasty stuff that vegans and veggies can scoff?.

Aye, the Lemon Tree was bad but it's worse noo - where's all the publicity? - there are acts playing at lunchtimes to nobody, and it's really hard trying to find out anything about it - even the Lemon Tree website is a nightmare, och well, plenty other good places to go to, it's a pity The Music room didn't sell more food and have beer on tap, bottles are a richt rip off, nevermind, I hear Drummonds will be doing food soon, it's got to be better than the 40 minute wait for burnt chips at The Bassment - mind you the chicken sandwitch is pretty tasty , but the bogs belong in Trainspotting .

AYE gaes some decent food with our music, and taps in the bogs that work and soap dispensers instead of that shitty waxy smelly soap that leaves you feeling dirty .

It's no wonder so many people go to other places to see bands, Aberdeen is fairly lacking on basic hygiene - think how many dirty stinky gigs you've been to, and treating punters as if they were idiots is enough to make me bugger off to Weegieville, where you get great food, cheap drinks and bands galore at realistic prices .

Snafu is pretty decent and the place upstairs does nae bad food, but ye canna beat Thains baker on George Street for Stovies .

Thanks for the tip on HMT box office. Does anyone know the official line on the booking fee? I would've thought this was only payable if you were booking remotely, ie, online or on the 'phone, not if you're physically there?

Surely buying over the counter doesn't constitute a booking, it's a direct sale.

I saw them at the tunnels, a while ago: part of that two night thing they did. No complaints, great set, and the crabby man was on good form. Like someone else said, they are a bit of a hit and miss band- both on record and live. My friend saw them in Dundee years ago, and they were a bit rubbish and Mark. E. curtailed the set early....

is that not part of the enduring appeal of the Fall though?...he is a bit of a loose cannon.

When was this? I didn't even relise it was on, didn't see posters or mention of it anywhere and I don't get sent the cataloge anymore since they closed and reopened. probably a good thing I missed it, in the end.They where great two years in the tunnels though.

same here.

Publicity? was it in the classified ad's in the Evening Express?

I imagine what happened was Mark slurred- " ahm makk-ee suth, yess uh..the fall-uh, cooorious orraaaange...leeeemon tree...am not impressed-uh, with-tha re-launch-uh...same old same old-uh...eye-will not-uh be funded by ah-coooouncilll-uh....nowz a-fukk off an' hit tha booze"

I'd easy pay him twenty quid to come round my house and read out my Spar reciept though. Top chancer indeed.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, but I dont think so at all.

No intention of annoying Lemon Tree whatsoever (considering the gig is past) - and im fully aware of the ethics of posting about own gigs in other peoples threads - its a no no. But this gig is past. Waaaay past.

Its an old Fall 2008 thread and the Fall 2010 gig is this week - i remembered this event (as i was meant to go to it) and id imagine there are a few Fall fans on here who may not know about Sunday as Warehouse isnt their usual venue/ they dont usually check the listings for Warehouse because of this.

In this thread there are a couple of people saying they didnt know about the Lemon Tree gig and to be honest im thinking there must be some Fall faithfuls out there who havent heard either about our event- mostly for the reasons above.

Im a little bit worried that it doesnt help ticket sales that the poster artwork we use doesnt include a photo of MES but the new album artwork was the stipulated promo design. And there have been grumblings about ticket price also so on the behalf of the promoter and in the interests of the venue im promoting the show as much as i can - including using this forum.

Although we have all the usual promo methods out posters, press ads, forum listings, internet promo the ab-music forum is a good network for promoting gigs and after receiving small critiscism before for not promoting an event (and i stress one event) on here i know make a fuller effort to make sure our gigs are covered heavily on this website.

Furthermore, its my job to promote the show so i think its prefectly fine to post that the Fall are returning to the city on a thread discussing their last visit. If i didnt post anything and three people missed it - id certainly hear about it quick enough so an informal post which lists the venue name, date and where to buy tickets is hardly irrelevant to the posters in this threads interests.

Sorry, but I dont think so at all.

No intention of annoying Lemon Tree whatsoever (considering the gig is past) - and im fully aware of the ethics of posting about own gigs in other peoples threads - its a no no. But this gig is past. Waaaay past.

Its an old Fall 2008 thread and the Fall 2010 gig is this week - i remembered this event (as i was meant to go to it) and id imagine there are a few Fall fans on here who may not know about Sunday as Warehouse isnt their usual venue/ they dont usually check the listings for Warehouse because of this.

In this thread there are a couple of people saying they didnt know about the Lemon Tree gig and to be honest im thinking there must be some Fall faithfuls out there who havent heard either about our event- mostly for the reasons above.

Im a little bit worried that it doesnt help ticket sales that the poster artwork we use doesnt include a photo of MES but the new album artwork was the stipulated promo design. And there have been grumblings about ticket price also so on the behalf of the promoter and in the interests of the venue im promoting the show as much as i can - including using this forum.

Although we have all the usual promo methods out posters, press ads, forum listings, internet promo the ab-music forum is a good network for promoting gigs and after receiving small critiscism before for not promoting an event (and i stress one event) on here i know make a fuller effort to make sure our gigs are covered heavily on this website.

Furthermore, its my job to promote the show so i think its prefectly fine to post that the Fall are returning to the city on a thread discussing their last visit. If i didnt post anything and three people missed it - id certainly hear about it quick enough so an informal post which lists the venue name, date and where to buy tickets is hardly irrelevant to the posters in this threads interests.

It came to my mind that the negative reviews of the actual gig at The Lemon Tree made it a bad choice of thread to advertise in rather than any qualms about The LT itself, but I didn't bother posting words to that effect, I would imagine this is perhaps what the young lady was alluding to....I suppose it just depends how keen you are to spunk 20 quid on Mark E Smith's unpredictability and see if the 'every 2nd show' theory is correct...personally I'm going to give it a miss after the last joke....

It came to my mind that the negative reviews of the actual gig at The Lemon Tree made it a bad choice of thread to advertise in rather than any qualms about The LT itself, but I didn't bother posting words to that effect, I would imagine this is perhaps what the young lady was alluding to....I suppose it just depends how keen you are to spunk 20 quid on Mark E Smith's unpredictability and see if the 'every 2nd show' theory is correct...personally I'm going to give it a miss after the last joke....

Ahhhh I see, In that case Slutbags Mcgee - I apologise if thats the case.

If youll excuse me misreading that, cant say i was in the best mood this morning and i assumed it was the standard occasional negative comment i sometimes expect from thias board.

That does make sense as being a negative thread but to be honest its pretty hard to find a positive thread on the Fall live. If you google Mark E Smith in the Guardian website there is a thousand mixed reviews ranging from tales of God Like sets which Fall obsessives discuss wide eyed to tales of downright nasty behaviour with many a let down fan ranting about it being the last time they go see the band.

Mark E Smith is a fascinating character nonetheless though - I do like the Fall and thought they were incredible at Indian Summer a few years back. There are apparently two Mark E Smiths - im hoping we get the punctual, gentle, eager to perform one on Sunday.

Ahhhh I see, In that case Slutbags Mcgee - I apologise if thats the case.

If youll excuse me misreading that, cant say i was in the best mood this morning and i assumed it was the standard occasional negative comment i sometimes expect from thias board.

That does make sense as being a negative thread but to be honest its pretty hard to find a positive thread on the Fall live. If you google Mark E Smith in the Guardian website there is a thousand mixed reviews ranging from tales of God Like sets which Fall obsessives discuss wide eyed to tales of downright nasty behaviour with many a let down fan ranting about it being the last time they go see the band.

Mark E Smith is a fascinating character nonetheless though - I do like the Fall and thought they were incredible at Indian Summer a few years back. There are apparently two Mark E Smiths - im hoping we get the punctual, gentle, eager to perform one on Sunday.

seen The Fall loads of times & have dozens of CDs by them. However, spending the best part of 25 quid in the hope that the "eager to perform" MES turns up in a venue that I'm not particulary fond of is pushing it.