aberdeen-music

World Series Of Poker Europe

Christy

Well, I'm rather bleary-eyed after pulling an all-nighter watching the live feed of the WSOPE Main Event final table.

It lasted 22 hours, the longest final table in WSOP history, and Juan Juanda bested a phenomenal field by making quad sixes to eventually defeat Stanislav Alekhin after a six hour heads-up marathon. Amazing stuff.

Scotland's Chris Elliott finished in eighth, crowd favourites Scott Fishchman, Daniel Negreanu and Bengt Sonnert were sixth, fifth and fourth, but the biggest achievement must be that of Ivan Demidov, who came third. The Russian has also made the final table of the WSOP Main Event, which will take place in November. Given the quality and depth of the fields, making the WSOPE and the WSOP final tables in the same year will go down in history as one of the greatest achievements in poker history.

Love from Christy

Aye. It started about 4am and finished around 10.30am. Alekhin seemed to throw in the towel to be honest. The key hand, if memory serves, went sumpin like this:

Juanda on button - standard 3x raise, Alekhin flat calls.

Flop comes down Qc - 7c - x

Juanda pushes for 1.5x the pot.

Alekhin has Juanda covered and calls

Juanda shows Q 10 for top pair

Alekhin shows 3c 4c for a weak flush draw.

The board bricked and Alekhin was crippled. Juanda wrapped it up about 4hands later when his K6 outdrew A9, making quads on the river.

Before making the big call with 3,4clubs, Alekhin admitted that he was simply too tired, and was ready to gamble. Picked a bad spot though!

Love from Christy

Edit to say: I mean that headsup started at 4am. The final table started at 1pm yesterday. My eyes have gone all sore. God knows how exhaustipated the players must have been.

• 1 year later...

Anyone watch this year? Daniel Negreanu was 2nd losing out to Barry Shulman (father of Jeff Shulman, one of this years November Nine) Also at the final table were 2 more November Niners, french guy Antoine Saout and brit boy James Akenhead...final tabling the WSOP and the WSOPE in the same year is legendary, it happened last year with Ivan Demidov and twice this year.... o_O luck boxes.... was hoping the other brit Praz Bansi would go all the way...he made 3rd....roll on November 7th...money is on teh Ivey...

Anyone watch this year? Daniel Negreanu was 2nd losing out to Barry Shulman (father of Jeff Shulman, one of this years November Nine) Also at the final table were 2 more November Niners, french guy Antoine Saout and brit boy James Akenhead...final tabling the WSOP and the WSOPE in the same year is legendary, it happened last year with Ivan Demidov and twice this year.... o_O luck boxes.... was hoping the other brit Praz Bansi would go all the way...he made 3rd....roll on November 7th...money is on teh Ivey...

Yeah, I followed the updates (no stream this year, unlike last yearo_O).

The AA vs JQ hand heads-up was mental....and Shulman just stood impassive as if he expected the double blink on the turn and river. Nuts.

Munny is always on teh Ivey. Always. Akenhead is a fine player too, but Eric Buchman is probably the best value - 3rd in chips, and far more experienced than either of the top two.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice avatar sir!! Obv would be awesome to see Akenhead take it down....just watched the latest episodes, Darvin Moon picks up some monsters...can't wait to see the Moon and Kopp clash though....biggest pot in WSOP history real marginal spot for both...

Theres a good tourney coming up in Inverness at the end of November, 50 buy in with 25k starting stack, 1 hour blinds...cheapest and nearest I'll get to the WSOP! If anyone wants any more info send me a PM...

• 3 weeks later...
Nice avatar sir!! Obv would be awesome to see Akenhead take it down....just watched the latest episodes, Darvin Moon picks up some monsters...can't wait to see the Moon and Kopp clash though....biggest pot in WSOP history real marginal spot for both...

Theres a good tourney coming up in Inverness at the end of November, 50 buy in with 25k starting stack, 1 hour blinds...cheapest and nearest I'll get to the WSOP! If anyone wants any more info send me a PM...

Live poker is about as much fun as visiting the dentist