aberdeen-music

Decent breakfast in Aberdeen????????

Johnny Mac

The main bit, where folk smoked, was a tad neddish (Bigsby probably went there!)...but the bit nearer Union St was the un-revamped section....it was occasionally a bit overstocked with grannies and Kitchen Cynics, but otherwise did well.

I remember going their in the 80's with my mum, we were never allowed in the 'posh bit' as I thought it was then. But it was a pretty good place.

Now I'm a smoker but the smoking bit in their was stinking, between that and the smell of the cooking together it was disgusting and you used to come out smelling like you'd been in a chipper all night, I stopped eating their before I started smoking by the way, I'm not a fan of smoking while eating in foody places.

Yep Alan, sure I spotted you in the grannie area when I was a nipper :D

You wouldn't have seen me, as I was hidden behind my knitting and the People's Friend! :)

Dunno where I'd go for a good breakfast....I don't usually have breakfast, due to being in a rush every morning. When I do it's usually a soup & half baguette from Kilau or a steak pie from Aitken's (I've asked for mince'n'mealie pies, but Aitkens don't do them...or so the wifey has said to me).

Another biggie is to never EVER buy fresh meat from the Supermarket. I use the butcher just off great western road and the quality of the meat does most of the work for you. I also try and go to the farmers market on the green when I have a flexi Friday. The veg you get there is super cheap and tastes ace you can also get fresh eggs there too..

I should really post up pictures of where I live...

There's about five shops selling nothing but fresh vegetables, three shops selling fresh meat and three shops selling fresh bread.

And to make matters even worse, the prices are insanely cheap - 3 quid bought me a kilo of chicken fillets the other day o_O

I'm not so sure I could go back to the UK now, just because it's so, so, so much easier to eat properly here. Even ready meals are practically non existent - the average supermarket has about one freezer with them in...compare to the UK and the freezer after freezer with them inside.

I'm not so sure I could go back to the UK now, just because it's so, so, so much easier to eat properly here. Even ready meals are practically non existent - the average supermarket has about one freezer with them in...compare to the UK and the freezer after freezer with them inside.

I find it easy to eat well here (in Scotland). I too have shops that sell greens & fresh meat.

Not as cheap as Poland, but as I've said before, I find spending money on something so important as food rather than a fancy mobile phone, or a stupid sky package, or a loan for a tv the size of the Vue, justifiable. (and do you earn the same amount as you would here cloud? or is "about three quid" an hours work?)

It's a joy shopping & cooking, I'd rather spend time making food than rushing it and slounging in front of the TV...it just takes a little bit of care, like most good things in life.

I'm in inverurie, and the "green grocer" is 500 yards from my house.

Have you tried the chinese supermarket? (most of the wee shops up george st have fresh stuff...don't they?) and, is there not a green grocer in the market?

I'd started to look at food miles when in the supermarkets too. I won't buy stuff that's outside the EU...if I can....

you can also sign up to the seasonal veg boxes - if you are that bothered(!)

The butcher off great western road does an organic veggie box for 8.

I've lived round the corner from that place for 3 years and didn't know it existed until last week (same with the breadmaker on Claremont Street).

Went in at the weekend and got some fantastic looking sausages, looking forward to trying them later in the week. I can see myself making regular stops at the butchers on the way home from work now.

I've lived round the corner from that place for 3 years and didn't know it existed until last week (same with the breadmaker on Claremont Street).

Went in at the weekend and got some fantastic looking sausages, looking forward to trying them later in the week. I can see myself making regular stops at the butchers on the way home from work now.

It is a fantastic butcher. It was good before, but it was recently taken over by a new owner who has upped the quality and range even more.

I wouldn't bother with the organic veg boxes though, they're a bit of a rip off. Sound good in theory but you actually only ever seem to get a few weedy specimens and never what you ask for.

The breadmaker is the one that goes to the farmer market on Belmont Street. It's literally just round the corner from the butchers. Just turn left onto Claremont street, cross the road and you're there.

It costs way more than a loaf of hovis from the supermarket, but the bread is pretty ace.

I find it easy to eat well here (in Scotland). I too have shops that sell greens & fresh meat.

Not as cheap as Poland, but as I've said before, I find spending money on something so important as food rather than a fancy mobile phone, or a stupid sky package, or a loan for a tv the size of the Vue, justifiable. (and do you earn the same amount as you would here cloud? or is "about three quid" an hours work?)

I found it absolutely impossible in Chelmsford - my uni was in a town of about 5,000 people and it just wasn't possible to buy anything at all. Even Chelmsford itself was next to impossible - there was a couple of Asian shops, but absolutely nothing on 'my' side of the town in the way of greengrocers/butchers. The market had some - but as it was a 40 minute walk to get there, it really wasn't worthwhile.

But for example, here, it takes next to no effort - every osiedle (estate) has countless vegetable and meat shops, and the prices are actually slightly lower than in supermarkets. If the same thing existed in the UK, I suspect that people would be eating much better without trying.

Strangely, the money isn't much worse - the going rate in London is about 12 quid an hour for the (admittedly dreadful IMO) type of teaching I'm doing, whereas I'm on just shy of 9 quid an hour here. The crucial difference seems to be in transportation - I don't actually have to visit supermarkets at all here.

One thing that's also noteworthy is that eating seasonal produce is normal here - it's actually quite hard to find fruit/vegetables that hasn't been grown in this country. Bananas for example (my favourite!) are an absolute nightmare to find.

One thing that's also noteworthy is that eating seasonal produce is normal here - it's actually quite hard to find fruit/vegetables that hasn't been grown in this country. Bananas for example (my favourite!) are an absolute nightmare to find.

it is amazing what supermarkets have done to us over the last 20 years.

and they say it's "giving waht the consumer wants"...

well, if reducing slowly "choice" and replacing with high profit - processed / pre prepared food is "choice" or "what the consumer wants" - it's almost conspiracy theory stuff...

are they paid turn "us" into fat, lazy, carefree consumers...or are we that already? (no!)

So many people in a position of "power" have a dutey and a responsibility to provide "the people" with every opportunity to live healthy and happily - and not to give shortcuts...

but, people say they are too "busy" to prepare food...I say, sort your priorities out! - people just need to descover the joy of making food & also to "win their tastebuds back"...I can see britain turning into a fat Vs Thin society (no class war, just size war).