aberdeen-music

Dog Faced Boy

Shaki

woo hoo eels!

i blagged backstage after their first uk gig (i think) at the barrowlands and had a party. just me, three eels and a barrel of ice and beer. i mention it because i consider it one of my finest backstage blags :)

they played three encores that night. the third was when they came bounding on again well after the lights went up (maybe only a couple of hundred punters were still in the venue) and bashed out a Sweet Home Alabama cover. ace gig.

also: you can hear this song frequently (although no more than once a week) at the Black Tooth Rock Lounge :D if you like eels, you'll love the black tooth...

he was sound as fuck.

i couldn't really pick a fav album tho. anyone see the documentary where E traced his fathers life? his dad (a theoretical physician) proposed 'string theory' if i remember right.. that's pretty cool, no?

It's good to hear he's nice. I always imagined him to be pretty intimidating. That might just be 'cause he smokes cigars or something, though... I dunno.

That documentary was ace, though. The one Schrodinger's Cat theory's all about. Good times.

Favourite Eels album is still probably Beautiful Freak. 'Cause it was the first one I heard and I'm still a sucker for it. Pretty consistant band, though, can't really think of an album I don't like. That Live at Town Hall one is ace too, the Bus Stop Boxer and It's A Motherfucker on there. Damn. Did anyone attend that strings tour? Fucking amazing.

Did anyone attend that strings tour? Fucking amazing.

ohhhh yeah :gringo: what a gig.

my favourite album would probably be Electric Shock Blues, it's just so emotionally heavy in the best possible way. for an album so dark and frankly disturbing to still end up with a genuine sense of optimism is a total triumph. was probably the first album i got into where the writer has completely laid out his soul bare on a record, and is still such an intense experience to listen to from start to finish. the more you hear about the happenings in throughout his life, and immediately before that album, the more you realise what a personal achievement it must've been to get those tunes out of him. i usually tend to go into pure emotional hyperbole when telling friends about this album so i'll stop there.

i'll rate the albums as...

1. Electro Shock Blues

2. Blinking Lights and Other Revelations

3. Daisies of the Galaxy

4. Beautiful Freak

5. Shootenanny

6. Souljacker

have got various official live albums and b-side collections as well as a shit-load of bootlegs and have yet to hear anything truly duff.

Has anyone heard E's solo albums ("A Man Called E" and "Broken Toy Shop")? They're fairly hit and miss, somewhat akin to Beck's output before "Mellow Gold", but they've got a certain charm. However, the less said about MC Honky the better...

Got both solo albums as well. They have a kind of wonky attractiveness about them, and i love them both. Songs like Hello Cruel World, L.A River, and Nowheresville are stone-cold classics, and the less immediate stuff on them I adore as a result of morbid super fandom.

I'll have to get my sister to buy Things the Grandchildren Should Know. 5's pretty decent.

Can't find Broken Toy Shop anywhere though, as Matthew said though, A Man Called 'E's got its fair share of songs.

E's definitely one of the most interesting musicians whose life I've looked into, though.

I'll have to get my sister to buy Things the Grandchildren Should Know. 5's pretty decent.

Can't find Broken Toy Shop anywhere though, as Matthew said though, A Man Called 'E's got its fair share of songs.

E's definitely one of the most interesting musicians whose life I've looked into, though.

It's out of print and therefore it seems I own a CD that would fetch up to 30 on Ebay! Will wait for E to kick the bucket - Nest Egg :up:

I like Broken Toy Shop - good, sad pop songs. Shine it All On, The Only Thing I Care About, Manchester Girl, LA River.....ace.

Must confess to not owning Electro Shock Blues, Blinking Lights or Daisies of the Galaxy. Will pick them up when next in town. Must also confess to having no recollection of starting this thread. Go Eels!

• 6 months later...

New album out in a couple of weeks. Two new songs previewed on eelstheband.com: Fresh Blood and Tremendous Dynamite. Both somewhat predictably amazing and another whole new fresh sound.

Interesting concept for this one as well, with E writing all songs from the point of view of a werewolf weighed heavy with desire.

• 1 year later...

Me me! New album released that very day as well. I'm sure I'll have, somehow, found a way to know the words before then though.

This to complete the recent trilogy. This is the optimistic one following the lustic longings of Hombre Lobo and the bleak as fuck End Times.

tm_coverLG.jpg

TRACK LISTING

01 in gratitude for this magnificent day

02 i'm a hummingbird

03 the morning

04 baby loves me

05 spectacular girl

06 what i have to offer

07 this is where it gets good

08 after the earthquake

09 oh so lovely

10 the man

11 looking up

12 that's not her way

13 i like the way this is going

14 mystery of life

:D Just how happy are some of those titles!?