aberdeen-music

Comedians

Louis CK is in the new Ricky Gervais film he's written ('This Side of the Truth, not Ghost Town). There was a great video of him and Louis CK experiencing severe turbulence on a private flight with Louis shitting himself and Ricky Gervais finding his terror incredibly funny.

hahaha

"babies with aids"

"ohhh shit, 12 year old gay kids"

• 3 months later...

Hello thread revival!

Saw Robin Ince was mentioned, anyone going to see him tonight?

His dvd and Stewart Lee's '90s Comedian' dvd arrived at my door today. A good day.

I think my favourite comedian of the moment is David O'Doherty. Seen him live twice now and each time I've cried laughing. And he's a lovely guy. Ross Noble, Dylan Moran, Bill Bailey, Eddie Izzard, Kristen Schaal. Too many.

Rhys Darby's dvd is very good. Dara O'Briain is deceptively funny. Steve Hall too, but I seem to have accidentally befriended him which is strange. He has a good shaped mouth. Well done, Steve.

Hello thread revival!

Rhys Darby's dvd is very good .

I liked this too

Going to see Ed Byrne in Feb, seen him before and he was rather amusing

Also like Billy C, Bill Hicks, Robin Williams, Eddie Muprhy's older stuff

So many people keep telling me about frankie boyle, so will need to look this up.....feel like I have missed some major epic news (like not knowing Di was dead that day!) it's been mentioned about so much!

Robin Ince was excellent on Friday. What a thoroughly lovely guy.

I liked this too

Going to see Ed Byrne in Feb, seen him before and he was rather amusing

Also like Billy C, Bill Hicks, Robin Williams, Eddie Muprhy's older stuff

So many people keep telling me about frankie boyle, so will need to look this up.....feel like I have missed some major epic news (like not knowing Di was dead that day!) it's been mentioned about so much!

I'm going to see Ed Byrne too. Rather looking forward to it.

Comedy-wise, coming up: Russell Brand (shut up, I like him.); Ed Byrne; Rob Brydon; Ross Noble. Oh, and one of my friends has dropped out of going to see Jimmy Carr seeing as she'll be working in America then. I think I may have been drunk when begrudgingly agreeing that I'd go instead of her.

I'd like to see David O'Doherty again at some point this year. And Stewart Lee. Unlikely, but I can dream!

I hear Izzard's announced 19 UK dates with moret to come apparently. The nearest he is so far is Glasgow, but he's got a few days off before and after it, so I'm staying positive that he'll venture north again.

Who's your favourite comedian(s)?

Good live performances, reccomendations?

Anyone get on yer tits?

I'd have to say, right now I'm well into Frankie Boyles stuff. He got ripped into my mate at the music hall last year, was pretty hilarious.

But to stick on a Mock the Week theme, I really do fucking hate Russel Howards comedy. Lots of my mates love him, but I have not once found any of his "Ill juxtapose a random noun with a random verb to make an entirely unsuitable adjective" comedy appealing whatsoever.

Case in hand- I screamed like a badger with its nuts caught in a bicycle.

Paramount 2's late night comedy is pretty good sometimes as well.

Frankie Boyle seems to be heading in the direction that Peter Kay has. The repetition of his material is a bit disappointing, as alot of stuff is reused between Mock The Week and his stand up. I was reading some reviews of his last tour, and there were 2 or 3 occasions where he walked off because people were just throwing back "We've heard it" at him. If he's going to do the rounds at such an extent, then he could at least keep the material fresh. It's a shame though because I do quite like him.

Frankie Boyle seems to be heading in the direction that Peter Kay has. The repetition of his material is a bit disappointing, as alot of stuff is reused between Mock The Week and his stand up. I was reading some reviews of his last tour, and there were 2 or 3 occasions where he walked off because people were just throwing back "We've heard it" at him. If he's going to do the rounds at such an extent, then he could at least keep the material fresh. It's a shame though because I do quite like him.

I think that while Frankie Boyle is very good....his style of comedy (ie. loads of one-liners) is always going to have a more limited shelf-life than the observational comedian who can find comedy in any, everyday situation and who has the ability to develop a warm rapport with his audience.

I saw Dara O'Briain at the Music Hall last year, and I was in awe of how much spontoneity there was in his act. He played the front row like a fiddle. Just a great, great live performer....and funny as hell.

Frankie B's crude, everything is shit, shock-value comedy can be hilarious, but it was inevitable that he'd run out of jokes after a while.

Yeah, he's starting to grate a bit in my eyes too. About 15% of his live DVD is regurgitated from Mock the Week, same as his live shows.

There's still loads of laughs, and I can't help but think ;"Surely SOMEONE here has seen the episode where he's used that before"

I think that while Frankie Boyle is very good....his style of comedy (ie. loads of one-liners) is always going to have a more limited shelf-life than the observational comedian who can find comedy in any, everyday situation and who has the ability to develop a warm rapport with his audience.

I saw Dara O'Briain at the Music Hall last year, and I was in awe of how much spontoneity there was in his act. He played the front row like a fiddle. Just a great, great live performer....and funny as hell.

Frankie B's crude, everything is shit, shock-value comedy can be hilarious, but it was inevitable that he'd run out of jokes after a while.

"Did anyone see Kerry Katona on This Morning slurring her words and that? I tell you that was the saddest wank I've ever had."

Chortle Awards Nominations...

Best newcomer

(sponsored by leading independent comedy label PIAS Comedy)

Mike Wozniak

Pippa Evans

Daniel Simonsen

Seann Walsh

Breakthrough act

Sarah Millican

Andrew O'Neill

Bridget Christie

Carl Donnelly

Best compere

Dan Nightingale

Alun Cochrane

Stephen Grant

Rufus Hound

Best headliner

(also sponsored by the awards headline sponsor FremantleMedia Enterprises)

Andrew Maxwell

Paul Sinha

Rhod Gilbert

Milton Jones

Sketch, variety or character act

Count Arthur Strong

Tim Minchin

Pippa Evans

Wilson Dixon

Best full show

Rhod Gilbert And The Award-Winning Mince Pie

Richard Herring: The Headmaster's Son

David O'Doherty: Let's Comedy

Tim Minchin: Ready For This?

Best theatre show

Dylan Moran: This Is It

Russell Howard: Dingledoodies

Dara OBriain

Frankie Boyle

Best DVD

Stewart Lee: 41st Best Stand-up

Tim Minchin: So Fucking Rock

Dara OBriain Talks Funny

Frank Skinner Stand-Up

Best use of stand-up on TV or radio

Mark Watson Makes The World Substantially Better (R4)

4 Stands Up (R4)

Another Case Of Milton Jones (R4)

Live At The Apollo (BBC One)

Minchin leads Chortle nominations : News 2009 : Chortle : The UK Comedy Guide

• 3 weeks later...