aberdeen-music

An open letter to the staff of the Belmont Picture House

Panda Strong

If, on the other hand, you treat us like service mechanoids and don't say please or thank you then you can expect a similar response from us...

I don't claim to know nuthin bout nuthin, but that seems a little unprofessional to me. Regardless of how rude the customer is, you should probably be polite and classy anyway.

That's the nature of working in such an industry.

Love from Christy

In my experience of the Belmont it's not the staff I have a problem with, I take exception to having to wait in big queues in the evening showings to get a ticket. The front of house needs to be quicker somehow; automated machines perhaps...?

it's a little know fact but one can also purchase flick-tix in the cafe downstairs... so bustle past the initial queues and relax sipping chianti like the rest of us

I do like the Belmont cinema, however sometimes the projecter has been off set and while watching Death Proof the screen was so bleached some scenes where unwatchable! These things happen however sometimes the staff can be a bit snappy but to be fair where have you been where there is not one misrable cunt working there! Im there to see a film not to have my rim eaten out of by staff!

• Upvote 1

Guest treader.
yes!....I was thinking that the ast time I'd used it...."no pin?....damn! I wish I'd mugged that granny at the cash machine now"....free tickets for life!

well, until she cancels the card. unless she had alzheimer's in which case she'd probably forget that the confrontation ever happened.

As long as you treat us like human beings you will receive the same treatment yourself. If, on the other hand, you treat us like service mechanoids and don't say please or thank you then you can expect a similar response from us...

I work in a cinema as well and I totally agree, I don't buy into the 'customer is always right' philosophy, the customer is only right when they're not a complete cretin. I'll be totally polite and helpful up until the point the customer is a prick, then it's out the window. Unless you were raised by wolves (which many of our customers look like they have been), then you should be able to muster the basic 'please' and 'thanks' involved in making a purchase.

Aw, I always thought Belmont staff were quite nice. :(

The guy at the food bitty apologised on behalf of the cinema for the fact that they have to charge so much for food.

That is particularly nice of him. I'd be dead in the ground before I apologise to a customer for the price of a product they've chosen to buy, the prices are on the menu, it's not a trick or anything (not that I'm suggesting you were complaining).

The amount of times someone has loudly complained about the price of food and I've had to hold back from saying 'It's a cinema not a fucking Red Cross soup kitchen' is incredible.

Clerks should be mandatory viewing for anyone who has not worked in some form of menial service job.

• Upvote 1

I work in a cinema as well and I totally agree, I don't buy into the 'customer is always right' philosophy, the customer is only right when they're not a complete cretin. I'll be totally polite and helpful up until the point the customer is a prick, then it's out the window. Unless you were raised by wolves (which many of our customers look like they have been), then you should be able to muster the basic 'please' and 'thanks' involved in making a purchase.

+ 9,000

agreed wholeheartedly, if you cannot even look me in the eye and say please, thank you and other such basic human functions then quite frankly, i don't think you deserve any sort of politeness from me.

+ 9,000

agreed wholeheartedly, if you cannot even look me in the eye and say please, thank you and other such basic human functions then quite frankly, i don't think you deserve any sort of politeness from me.

I agree too (the people should say please and thank you) - but it doesn't work like that.

a customer has the "right" to be a fuck head - and it's your job to be as nice to them as possible (and then they might realise they are being a fuck head).

If you go off on a teen strop because someone doesn't say "please or thank you" - GET OUT OF THE FUCKING JOB and deal with the Private sector. You are on a hiding to nowhere if you expect Joe Public to be as nice as they should be!

I can't say I've ever noticed the staff at the belmont being any worse than anywhere else. I wouldn't say they are overly friendly but then I don't really expect them to be or care if they are.

Also I don't think I've ever had to queue behind more than one person to get a ticket in the belmont.

I haven't been to the Belmont in a long while as when I had a membership card something went wrong 5occasions in a row. When I went to post this though although I remember being mildly grumpy, I can't remember what it actually was that happened each time. Definitely projection related though for the majority. Maybe I should give it another go while I still have a student card.

Clerks should be mandatory viewing for anyone who has not worked in some form of menial service job.

Exactly. I've served some awful people in the past, people who literally see you as the job you do and nothing more. One incident in particular stands out when I was working in The Lemon Tree and had some woman (who was the last customer and was still there at 4.45 when we'd closed at 4) fly off the handle at me because I asked her to leave. She actually said 'I don't have to take this from you, you're just a waitress', to which I calmly (and a little smugly) told her that no, actually I worked there part time and was studying at honours level in a 500 year old university. Even if I was 'just a waitress' I would hope that that wouldn't lay me open to a torrent of abuse.

• Upvote 1

not quite the same as dropping to the same level of input from the woman, which is apparently what some people think is the correct response to a twat in a shop / public space.

At no point have I said I've ever shouted or been aggressive or abusive towards a customer, I just refuse to be polite to a customer who's been a dick in the same way I would be to a customer who's been perfectly nice.