aberdeen-music

Favourite football memories

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Jake Wifebeater

It doesn't matter how shit your team is, everyone has some great memories of their team's heroics over the years. Mine is the goal Barry Nic scored for us in the '04 Cup Final replay at Fortress Sheep to take us into our first Scottish Cup Final for 36 years. Archie Gemmell had fuck all on this one, believe me. Sitting behind the goal watching him skip past the defence and bear down on the goal like a juggernaut is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

My other favourite has to be the 2001 Fife Cup Semi against Burntisland Shipyard, who have the funniest fans in the world. Burntisland actually took the lead! We skelped them 5-1 in the end, but I have never laughed so much at a game in my life, they had about 20 fans there and they know how to enjoy themselves.

So, what are yours? Preferably from a game you were at. Alkaline, you can tell us about that game you listened to on the radio once. :D

:up:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter how shit your team is, everyone has some great memories of their team's heroics over the years. Mine is the goal Barry Nic scored for us in the '04 Cup Final replay at Fortress Sheep to take us into our first Scottish Cup Final for 36 years. Archie Gemmell had fuck all on this one, believe me. Sitting behind the goal watching him skip past the defence and bear down on the goal like a juggernaut is the most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

From what I remember he got lucky with a few deflections of defenders legs which fell kindly for him to slot away. We should've finished you off in the first semi :up:

Club: Mine would be either the time we gave Celtic a 2-0 head start, then stormed back to win 3-2 with 10 men. Mike Fraser's save in the last minute was spectacular.

Or...

The 2-0 win over the Dons at the Dungheep, where we fought for every ball, passed it well and fully deserved the 3 points. Every player had a stormer and you could see how much the win meant to them at the goal celebrations and full time whistle.

Or...

Watching ICT beat a cheating Rangers side 2-1 with a last minute screamer from John Rankin, in a pub full of Huns. No idea how I made it out of there alive, as i'm a loud, cheeky prick when we beat the Old Firm :love:

International: Paris game obviously...

The 3-2 game against Rangers at Pittodrie a couple of seasons ago. My first game back for years, brilliant atmosphere, Dons take a 2-1 lead. Rangers equallise and play for a draw, Ferguson was shit, Rickson got sent off and Jamie Smith scored a fucking brilliant late winner. It just doesn't get any better than that.

The European games last season were a bit special as well, amazing atmosphere before the games.

So, what are yours? Preferably from a game you were at. Alkaline, you can tell us about that game you listened to on the radio once. :D

Scything down Bob Malcolm when i was playing for Dumfries FC (Formerly Dumfries High Former Pupils now Heston Rovers FC apparently) against Rangers Youths. Or possibly scoring with a volley from just inside the oppositions half against Wigtown on a return from a goal kick. Sheer fluke but still awesome. You gotta love the South Of Scotland League :up:

Match i was at that yielded a moment of quality would probably be Mark Venus scoring a peach at both ends of the pitch in a Wolves vs Grimsby game at Molineux around the 1994/95 or 1995/96 season. I've got my ticket with my others somewhere.

Best memories...standing on the Hampden slopes with my dad, watching the Dons beat Celtic in the 1970 cup final.

The Bayern Munich Quarter Final at Pittodrie....BEST MATCH EVER...fact!!!!!!!!!

Davie Robb scoring with an attempted diving header, which hit his heel and went in...think it was v Partick Thistle (early 70s)

Scoring against Dons management a few times at 5-a-sides (one a long-range blaster with Alex Ferguson in goals...he said kind words about it, through gritted teeth).

Joey Harper knocking a wee boy off of one of the barriers during a pre-match shootie in (think the actual match was against Motherwell...we won 5-1).

copenhagen and munich last season were great.

6-2 game against hearts at pittodrie, or i seem to remember jess getting four against them at tynecastle? i used to love playing hearts, we always seemed to tank them (henry smith in goals i think, classic).

my first rangers game (i think). 1-0, hans guilhaus, 89 min, from a rolling freekick in the wrong place - 24000 crowd. mental. just ace.

the losing cup final before they bulldosed hampden. or the semi final against the huns when jess took the piss out of gazza. tee hee.

... i also remember 'misplacing' the supporters bus home from ibrox on a cold, dark midweek. could've been the one where aberden fans allegedly threw a golfball at ally macoist. i spent a number of hours in govan police station as my parents tried to work out how to get me home. but i was a hero at school the next day.

My other favourite has to be the 2001 Fife Cup Semi against Burntisland Shipyard, who have the funniest fans in the world. Burntisland actually took the lead! We skelped them 5-1 in the end, but I have never laughed so much at a game in my life, they had about 20 fans there and they know how to enjoy themselves.

Haha, same! I was probably sitting beside you. What a run, what a goal. That whole season was unbelievable, and probably the most succesful that I'll ever experience.

I also much enjoyed a couple of seasons back in 04/05, when Leish saved us from the drop. We needed a win against Dundee and we humped them something like 5-0. I was there. Hurray.

For all the pain, there's always some gems:

- Gerry Britton's Jim Baxter tribute in THAT cup game at Dens. I went absolutely fucking bonkers when that flew in.

- Damon Gray giving us the lead against the Huns last year. See above.

- Being at Forfar for the 2nd division title game then being at Love Street the year after.

- Stuffing the sheep at Pittodrie twice the season after, I skinned a couple of gullible Dons fans for about 120 in wagers. Hahaha!

- Andy Ross's impossible 40-yard volley in season 04/05.

On a slight sub-tangent: funniest opposition supporters?

I generally miss the big ones. My favourite since I started going again after a fair absence was against Hearts at Tynecastle the year they finished 2nd. Jambos went up by one in a dominant first half, and looked set to take the game with Skacel and Hartley running rampant. However, we came back in the second half and took two. The whole thing was enhanced by the fact that Hearts were playing very well at that point, a Steven Pressley OG, good performances from Ferne Snoyl & Jamie Smith and also that my Hearts-mad flatmate was in the home stand :D

I was still a wee lad but when we got promotion (13 years ago - fuck me) it was an amazing experience. everybody going mad and on the pitch.

Beating Greenock Morton in the 3rd Round replay in scottish cup in 96 (ish) 3 - 2

Kev Webster's goal against berwick which made berwick go fucking mental BBC SPORT | Football | Scottish Cup | Berwick demand cup replay

when we gubbed Forfar 5 - 1 in the scottish cup back in 2004

Jay Steins goal in the 4 - 1 drubbing of forfar at the start of last season Forfar Athletic Football Club Official Website (fucking amazing)

beating arbroath 5 - 0 last new year was great too

not a dons moment and there have been a few belters but watching montrose vs. ross county at links park about ten years ago and a montrose fan hit the linesman on the back with a pie from the top of the stand. grease running down his back and he's trying to pretend nothing happened. we were about five rows from the front and when the steward came to investigate, he was looking up the stand and there were only one other group there, right up the back, two of them munching away on pies, the third empty handed :D

Gary Caldwell/James McFadden's goals vs France.

As Chris mentioned, Jamie Smith popping in an 89th minute screamer to beat the Orcs 3-2 at Todders a few seasons back. This game was especially memorable because a) that fucking mink Ricksen got sent off, and b) it was Kai's last game of fitba before ha had to 'go away for a bit'. He had already been convicted, was awaiting sentencing. He and I and 20,000 others going absolutely apeshit, with everything else in life forgotten for a wee minute. A wonderful moment.

And finally: Jamie Smith's demolition of Copenhagen last season was incredible. The first was the best goal I've ever seen, in terms of quality and importance. It finally sunk in after the third goal, they weren't going to come back and we were going through. The last twenty minutes were joyous.

Love from Christy x

not a dons moment and there have been a few belters but watching montrose vs. ross county at links park about ten years ago and a montrose fan hit the linesman on the back with a pie from the top of the stand. grease running down his back and he's trying to pretend nothing happened. we were about five rows from the front and when the steward came to investigate, he was looking up the stand and there were only one other group there, right up the back, two of them munching away on pies, the third empty handed :D

hahahahahaha I mind reading about that

Guest Jake Wifebeater
:down: Bad times

That was a horrible day, we were on a hiding to nothing. Mind you, the hush that fell around Snake Mountain when Jason Dair scored what was by far the goal of the match almost made it worth it. And if Craig Brewster's shot had gone in...

Shit, this has reminded me about what that twat Chris Sutton said.

Not :up:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
From what I remember he got lucky with a few deflections of defenders legs which fell kindly for him to slot away. We should've finished you off in the first semi :up:

You remember wrong. Your goalie had a cheek even trying to stop it...

Guest idol_wild

Saturday 16th December 2007.

Hearts 0 - Aberdeen 1

This was my first Aberdeen game for almost two years, due to financial constraints. I was picked up after work in Bridge of Don (I was a postman out there). Headed down. Massive (and very vocal) Aberdeen support. Darren Mackie produced, single-handedly, the most passionate performance I have ever seen from an Dons player. He bullied both Goncalves and Tall in the Hearts rearguard and held the ball up superbly as the lone striker, in addition to working the flanks and confusing their full-backs. His sheer grit and desire shone through.

Severin shoots from 25 yards on the 87th minute, Gordon saves but spills, Lovell follows up and smashes home. This was the most perfect smash-and-grab I have ever seen in my life. I was three rows for the front and was bowled over by fans behind me trying to get down to touch the players as they came over to celebrate. This symbolised a lot for that season as we went on to clinch third.

Hearts fans then left the ground in droves, threw their scarves and season tickets onto the pitch.

Classic.

I fucking hate Hearts.

Aberdeen 3 - 2 Celtic, August 1998. Screamer of a volley by Mark Perry, a Craig Hignett goal (mind him?), and an all-time classic own goal by Regi Blinker. 3 penalties for rrrasellikbyrrraway, 2 of them saved by Leighton. Good times.

That was a great game one of my favourites too. I'd been to the opening game of the season at dens the week before, Jess and Hignett both scored in a 2-0 win. After those two games I was so confident that we were going to have a great season. Think we went on a 3 month losing streak or something after that :down:

I've managed to miss a lot of the big occasions over the last few years (unfortunately I've managed to make it to disasters like qots at hampden. Most of my fondest memories are from when I was still at school, it all seemed so much more important then.

Beating Rangers 1-0 in the CIS cup quarter final at pittodrie in 99/00 was incredible. The stadium was packed, but expectations were low as we were bottom of the league. We battled hard all game then Andy Dow scored a late winner and the place went crazy. Rachid Belabed then did a few keepy-ups in the centre circle after Rangers had been given a free kicks and Neil McCann went crazy.

There was a game against Kilmarnock where all tickets were given away free, the original match got abandoned due to floodlight failure half way through. So everyone at the game got a free ticket for the rescheduled match and all other tickets were given away free first come first served. The dons seemed to be lifted so much by the big crowd in the game, Joe Miller scored a hat-trick and Dean Windass got a goal on his home debut!!

Motherwell 5-6 Aberdeen, I wasn't at the game, but I was at my friends house listening to it on the radio, it was so bizarre. A long awaited first win of the season in one of the maddest games ever.

Beating Hibs at Hampden in the scottish cup semi 2-1. Came back from a goal down to win with an awesome second half performance. Jess was immense.

There was a game where we came back from 3-1 down to get a draw with two injury time goals from Alex Di Rocco which was great.

Great memories. JIMMY OUT, BRING BACK SKOVDAHL :up:

Guest idol_wild

Beating Rangers 1-0 in the CIS cup quarter final at pittodrie in 99/00 was incredible. The stadium was packed, but expectations were low as we were bottom of the league. We battled hard all game then Andy Dow scored a late winner and the place went crazy. Rachid Belabed then did a few keepy-ups in the centre circle after Rangers had been given a free kicks and Neil McCann went crazy.

No it wasn't. It was the lowest crowd we have had against Rangers at Pittodrie for absolutely years and years! I think there was around 12,000 at the game.

I remember the game well though. Rangers always maintained it wasn't a trophy they cared for, but they were definitely bothered by that game - their mob were trying to kick us everywhere.

Dons 2 - Celtic 0

December 2001 - Winters & Mackie scored I seem to remember (Mackie took the ball away from Rab Douglas after he mis-controlled a pass back).

That wasn't the best bit though - Petrov getting pelted by snowballs from Section Y was the undisputed highlight.

Other memorable games I've attended - sitting in the away end in Reyjkavick as Scotland beat Iceland 2-0 (half the away stand, all wearing kilts, stood up & cheered when we scored). Buckie Thistle 2 - 0 Hamilton Accies in the Scottish Cup - followed by a great day out in Dingwall where we unfortunately lost 2-1 to Ross County in the next round. The Bayern Munich and Copenhagen UEFA Cup games at Pittodrie last year, Scotland 1 - 0 France at Hampden a couple of years back.

Guest idol_wild
Andy Dow scored a great volley in that game!

Yes! And the 5,000 Dons fans there made such a fucking racket when Dow's winner went in. Made it sound like 50,000 fans. I almost cried after that game.

When you watch the highlights from TV, you can see Guntveit run with the ball down the right flank, centre the ball to Stavrum who lays it off for Dow. As this unfolds your can see Dow's run through the centre and hear his yelps of: "Cato! Cato!...Arild!", then BANG! Sweet volley past the helpless 'keeper. Then when the players all huddle to celebrate you can lip read Jess: "What a fucking strike, Andy!".

Timeless.

I didn't even think Jess had it in him to swear.