aberdeen-music

Taxi Ranks

Guest Bob

Speaking of the Mounthooly area... Top of my "fear walk" list would be the Spital. That place is horrendous at night. One time I was away to turn onto the Spital (at about 1am) and some guy sprints past me screaming, "There's a guy with a knife! Don't go down there!". It doesn't fill you with confidence. One of my old workmates was ex-police and he basically just said, "I would never let a woman walk down there alone at night".

I think it basically gets a few Froghall baddies wondering about looking for drunk students. It's also VERY poorly lit. :(

I also dislike the whole Morrison's carpark area... nasty.

Back in the 402/University Road days I actually used to prefer going up the Spital and cutting back down rather than King Street, because I used to see quite a bit of bother down that way. Hrrrrm.

It's all subjective on what you personally only see or hear though: the only time I ever got mugged in town was at the bottom of Windmill Brae at four thirty in the afternoon (at least I wasn't carrying anything important), make sense of that if you will.

not :up:

I (kinda foolishly looking back) used to walk up George Street all the time by myself, and I barely break five foot. Although I too employed the 'hood up, head down' tactic. I lived on Bedford Place so ocassionally walked down the Spital and then up Sunnybank Road. I wouldn't say ones safer than the other, but after a while I found myself taking the Spital/Sunnybank route. It's not bad around midnight because you've got a fair few folk leaving the Mosque so there's a few bodies around. When I stayed at the top of King Street just before St. Machar Drive/Seaton it was a doddle of a walk home. Hillhead...always a taxi/late night bus.